Garlic Vine

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 11, 2010, 4:37:25 PM7/11/10
to indiantreepix
Blooming in all its glory at Bangalore. ( Adenocalyma allicium--hope the spelling is right.)
Padmini Raghavan.
Garlic Vine 001.jpg
Garlic Vine 003.jpg
Garlic Vine 004.jpg
Garlic Vine 008.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:34:06 PM7/11/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Nice pictures Padmini ji!

It is Adenocalymma alliaceum (Bignoniaceae), called as 'Garlic vine' cos the leaves emit garlic smell when crushed.

New name is Mansoa alliacea.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 12:16:07 AM7/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
This Garlic Vine indeed I hate the smell of this plant seen it couple of times !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 12, 2010, 2:39:14 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
Mere smell or have some properties to manage Garden pest like real Garlic? Just curious.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 13, 2010, 1:48:43 PM7/13/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Could you please tell me which garden pests are managed by garlic plants?
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.

Tabish

Jul 13, 2010, 1:56:59 PM7/13/10
to efloraofindia
Pankaj ji,
I feel the leaves may be used in place of garlic to control garden
pests. I read somewhere that the leaves are occasionally used in
cooking in lieu of gralic. Experimenting will be best.
- Tabish

On Jul 12, 11:39 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mere smell or have some properties to manage Garden pest like real Garlic?
> Just curious.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This Garlic Vine indeed I hate the smell of this plant seen it couple of
> > times !!
> > Tanay
>
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:04 AM, R. Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Nice pictures Padmini ji!
>
> >> It is *Adenocalymma alliaceum* (Bignoniaceae), called as 'Garlic vine'
> >> cos the leaves emit garlic smell when crushed.
>
> >> New name is *Mansoa **alliacea.*
>
> >> With regards
>
> >> R. Vijayasankar

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 13, 2010, 2:10:43 PM7/13/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji. I will try it.

Padmini ji while documenting "Traditional Agricultural Knowledge for pest management" I observed use of Garlic for many agricultural pest. I tried it on Aphids with much success in garden but many times this success is of short time. Farmers add one and more herbs and use different combinations in order to fight with pest efficiently, but proportion of Garlic is kept at higher side. Please see list of some publications on "Traditional Agricultural Knowledge"

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/publ_2009.pdf

regards

Pankaj Oudhia