Querry -Poisonous plant, MP

Aparna Watve

Feb 20, 2010, 7:18:23 AM2/20/10
to indiantreepix Indian, India_angios...@yahoogroups.com
Dear All,
Has anyone of you come across a plant called "Ranbijore" in central India?
Two days back, a newspaper in Seoni reported severe poisoning of 6
children in a village due to eating fruit of Ranbijore. It seems this
has happened frequently in the past. But the paper does not give any
clue abt the plant. None of the MP floras report this vernacular name.
I guess it is a wild plant or introduced in village gardens or
agriculture, and probably a shrub or a tree.
Thanks in advance.
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Dinesh Valke

Feb 20, 2010, 7:49:01 AM2/20/10
to Aparna Watve, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Aparna ji.

Referring http://forest.ap.nic.in/Forest%20Flora%20of%20Andhra%20Pradesh/files/ff0277.htm; leads me to believe "ran-bijore" could be some wild species of citron.

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 20, 2010, 7:53:13 AM2/20/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Aparna,

I recently relished pickle made of Bijora in Bhuj. It seemed a large
Cucurbitaceae fruit if this is any clue. Regards, Shrikant
Ingalhalikar

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 20, 2010, 8:01:25 AM2/20/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji
You seem to be close enough. Bijori in Kanad is Citrus limon, where as Bijaura in Hindi and Bijoru in Gujarat refer to C. medica.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

raghu ananth

Feb 20, 2010, 10:59:25 AM2/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
I was quite surprised to find four different Citron fruit trees in one of my friend's small backyard garden.
 (Photo date - 29 Nov 2009, Chandagal Village, Mysore district, Attachments 1 & 2.)
They consider each one of them as a different variety (Names in Kannada - Chikkilli (very small), Daggilli (large kind), Illi-normal-type 1, Illi-normal-type 2 ).
Back at home, I gave them to my  mother and requested her to make pickles out of them -a Mixed citron pickles! They tasted good and there were no complaints. Last month, I had a kind of typhoid which lasted several  weeks. Nothing tastes good during a fever. But the ganji ( gruel made of rice) served with these pickles tasted divine - I managed to swallow a good many mouth fulls of that gruel thanks to the pickle!

Will post and request the individual fruiting trees for identification/confirmation soon.

Regards
Raghu

Feb 20, 2010, 11:58:53 AM2/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The first attachment (with lemon. types) was by mistake.  Pls ignore.

(Names in Kannada -

1. Chikkilli-Kai (very small size),
2. Illi-Kai normal_size-type 1,
3. IlliKai-normal_size-type 2 ).
4. Daggilli Kai (the large variety ),

Regards
Raghu

I was quite surprised to find four different Citron fruit trees in one of my friend's small backyard garden.
 (Photo date - 29 Nov 2009, Chandagal Village, Mysore district, Attachments 1 & 2.)
They consider each one of them as a different variety

figtree

Feb 20, 2010, 12:00:55 PM2/20/10
to efloraofindia
It seems there is an unanimous opinion that it may be a Citrus
(lemon). I wonder is there any poisonous lemon!

On Feb 20, 8:59 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was quite surprised to find four different Citron fruit trees in one of my friend's small backyard garden.
>  (Photo date - 29 Nov 2009, Chandagal Village, Mysore district, Attachments 1 & 2.)

> They consider each one of them as a different variety (Names in Kannada - Chikkilli(very small), Daggilli (large kind),Illi-normal-type 1,Illi-normal-type 2 ).
> Back at home, I gave them to my  mother and requested her to make pickles out of them -aMixed citron pickles! They tasted good and there were no complaints. Last month, I had a kind of typhoid which lasted several  weeks. Nothing tastes good during a fever. But the ganji ( gruel made of rice) served with these pickles tasted divine - I managed to swallow a good many mouth fulls of that gruel thanks to the pickle!

> Will post and request the individual fruiting trees for identification/confirmation soon.
>
> Regards
> Raghu
>
> ________________________________

Dinesh Valke

Feb 20, 2010, 12:16:32 PM2/20/10
to figtree, efloraofindia
... there may be a chance that it " resembles " citron fruit, for which locals may have named it aptly ... in which case, brings us back to square one ... what is " Ranbijore "
Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 20, 2010, 12:23:00 PM2/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, figtree, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Perhaps you have a point. names may be similar sounding, but it is unlikely that Citrus is the culprit. Local names often give us plenty to think about, as it happened on another thread about Champa.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Aparna Watve

Feb 20, 2010, 12:33:47 PM2/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia, India_angios...@yahoogroups.com
The report was published by "Hitavada" in its supplement MPLine
(Jabalpur, 18th Feb).
It happened at village Bijholi (Rewa dt.) and the children were taken
to Sanjay Gandhi hospital at Rewa when their condition became
critical. they were then said to be stable after treatment in ICU. Six
children ages ranging from 2-10yrs ate the fruit (as per the report,
but dont know if seed was included) in the morning and were vomitting
by 10am. It seems many similar incidences have occurred in the past.
Checking on Citrus, six species are reported in MP flora by BSI. C.
aurantifolia, C. limenttoides, C. medica. C. limona, C. aurantium, C.
maxima.- all have edible fruits, widely used locally.
Checking Cucurbitaceae, MP flora reports quite a few species, but most
have edible and locally used fruits. The report also states that its a
tree, but it could be wrong reporting.
Ranbijore- by name could mean wild species of bijore (interpreting Ran
as wild/jungle) but I doubt if there is any poisonous Citrus around MP
or anywhere. Maybe the children identified it wrongly as Ranbijore but
the plant was something totally else with similar looking but
poisonous fruits. The mystery remains. I tried to check for other
families which may have poisonous fruits, but I cant find any in the
MP flora.
Aparna

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 21, 2010, 1:21:22 AM2/21/10
to Aparna Watve, efloraofindia
Dear Aparna please check Jatropha curcas poisoning also as newspapers are reporting accidental consumption of poisonous Jatropha in different parts of India these days and thousands of children are reaching to hospital.

As Jatropha is exotic species natives are naming it as per their experimence with it. Just check it.

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 21, 2010, 2:59:08 AM2/21/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Aparna Watve, efloraofindia
As Pankaj ji rightly pointed there have been many instances of poisoning in children consuming seeds of Jatropha. Documented reports are presented by Kulkarni 2005 (Twenty children of a school were admitted to pediatric emergency ward of Chigateri
Hospital, Davangere on December 1, 2003), Menezes 2006 (two in India),
 Horiuchi et al. 1994 (in Hawaii), etc. It has so many english names: Barbados nut, Black vomit nut, Curcas bean, Kukui haole, Physic nut, Purge nut, Purgeerboontjie and Purging nut tree. There are also several Indian regional names: Sans: kananaeranda, parvataranda. Hindi: jangliarandi, safedarand. Beng: Bagbherende, erandagchh. Mar: mogalierende, ranayerandi. GuJ: jamalgota, ratanjota. Tel: nepalamu, peddanepalamu, adaviamidamu. Tam: kadalamanakku, kattamanakku. Kan: adaluharalu, bettadaharalu, maraharalu, karnocchi. Mal: kattavanakka, kadalavanakka. Orissa: jhazigaba. Assam: Bongalibhotara. Garo hills: borbandong.

Ranbijore still remains elusive. Let us try more sources.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 21, 2010, 3:06:34 AM2/21/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Aparna Watve, efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan ji,

  These are some recent references.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=interactiveTableView&itableId=2482

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=interactiveTableView&itableId=71007

Please search "Jatropha children" in google you will find thousands of new cases. Here is link

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=jatropha+children&aq=0p&aqi=g-p2g8&oq=Jatropha+&fp=d95f0d161f018361

Many years back I wrote a warning article when Jatropha plantation was in planning phase. The planners ignored it and disastrous results are in front of us.

Who will protect our children from Jatropha poisoning?
by
Pankaj Oudhia

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=earticleView&earticleId=847&page=-2

Pankaj Oudhia

Aparna Watve

Feb 21, 2010, 8:04:57 AM2/21/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Jatropha curcas seems a very likely candidate- and it has been planted
on large scale in many places- though I don't know if in areas of the
report.
Thanks a lot.
But I would still want to know the actual plant of Ranbijore which
might be an innocent victim of this report!
regards
aparna

Vijayadas D

Feb 21, 2010, 8:24:20 AM2/21/10
to Aparna Watve, Pankaj Oudhia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
 seems to be  as Citrus sps
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

promila chaturvedi

Feb 22, 2010, 8:41:15 AM2/22/10
to vijay...@gmail.com, aparna...@gmail.com, pankaj...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
I remember eating Bijora and nothing ever went wrong. It has to be some other fruit-a poisonous one.
Promila

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:24:20 +0300
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:28068] Re: Querry -Poisonous plant, MP
From: vijay...@gmail.com