Kyllinga sp. ID from Hooghly 10-6-12 SK1

surajit koley

Jun 10, 2012, 2:07:00 PM6/10/12
to efloraofindia
Sir / Madam,

Attaching images of a species which i think is Kyllinga sp.

Species : Kyllinga brevifolia Rottb. ???
Habit & Habitat : common herb, about 1 foot, leaves are longer than culm, village pasture
Date : 2/6/12, 9.36 a.m.
Place : Hooghly, WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN4969.jpg
DSCN4970.jpg
DSCN4972.jpg
DSCN4974.jpg

jmgarg1

Jun 19, 2012, 4:26:52 AM6/19/12
to efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1870 members & 1,18,000 messages on 31/5/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

DSCN4969.jpg
DSCN4970.jpg
DSCN4972.jpg
DSCN4974.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2012, 3:35:51 PM6/19/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com
Dear Garg Sir,

Thank you very much for taking care of this species too. Attaching more pictures of the same species that i recorded on 11-06-2012.

Regards,

Surajit Koley
nxt_DSCN5508.jpg
nxt_DSCN5509.jpg
nxt_DSCN5512.jpg
nxt_DSCN5514.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Jun 19, 2012, 6:03:26 PM6/19/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com

I think this is Kyllinga monocephala

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2012, 10:14:44 PM6/19/12
to Pudji Widodo, indian...@googlegroups.com, jmgarg1, crazyg...@gmail.com, tanvee...@gmail.com, pch...@gmail.com, mug...@gmail.com, nirbh...@rediffmail.com, pritis...@gmail.com
Good morning Pudji Ji,

Thank you for the ID of this plant. Would you please tell me how Kyllinga monocephala differs from K. brevifolia? The net gives confusing data -
Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

jmgarg1

Jun 28, 2012, 1:14:15 AM6/28/12
to efloraofindia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Thank you very much for taking care of this species too. Attaching more pictures of the same species that i recorded on 11-06-2012.
Regards,
Surajit Koley”

“I think this is Kyllinga monocephala

Regards,
Pudji Widodo

“Thank you for the ID of this plant. Would you please tell me how Kyllinga monocephala differs from K. brevifolia? The net gives confusing data -

K. monocephala is synonym of K. nemoralis - http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-251362

sometimes the above name is either illegitimate or with low confidence level - http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-251375” from Surajit ji.

"There are ten different synonyms with names as Kyllinga monocephala as per link:

Jun 28, 2012, 4:21:27 PM6/28/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Thank you Garg Sir for reminding me, i will try to find out more info on Kyllinga spp.

Regards,

Surajit

manudev madhavan

Jun 29, 2012, 2:04:57 AM6/29/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The correct name for this species is Kyllinga nemoralis (Forst.) Dandy ex. Hutch. & Dalz. (Fl. W. Trop. Africa 2:486. 1936).
Kyllinga monocephala Rottb. is an illegitimate name since Rottboel referred Schoenus coloratus L. (now Rhyncospora colorata (L.) H. Pfeiff.) as a synonym in his protologue (Descr. lcon. Rar. Nov. Pl.: 13. t.4. 1773). The next validly published name is Thryocephalan  nemoralis  J. R.  & G. Forst (Char. Gen. Pl.: 130. 1776) which became the basionym for K. nemoralis.

regards

surajit koley

Jun 29, 2012, 1:07:50 PM6/29/12
to manudev madhavan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sir, for the correct nameand the ID of this grass. Can yo please tell me how does it differ form Kyllinga brevifolia Rottb.?

Regards,

Surajit Koley

manudev madhavan

Jul 2, 2012, 3:35:13 AM7/2/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Surajit ji

You may please use the following key to distinguish both the taxa

Key to the species

  • Inflorescence of 1–3 sessile, white or greenish white globose spikes, the central spike larger than others; nut bearing glumes winged; glumes white, winged towards the distal end, wings ciliate ……......................K. nemoralis
  • Inflorescence a single globose spike, green to yellowish green; nut bearing glumes not winged; glumes green, acutely keeled, keel ciliate or glabrous……………..........K. brevifolia

  There are two infraspecific taxa for Kyllinga brevifolia. A key to the subspecies is given below..

Key to the subspecies

  • Glume 2.5- 3mm long with ciliate keel……………….………...….var. brevifolia
  • Glume 2.0 mm long with glabrous keel……………..…………..…var. stellulata

with best regards
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

surajit koley

Jul 2, 2012, 3:11:49 PM7/2/12
to manudev madhavan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Thank you very much for providing me the ID keys to K. nemoralis & K. brevifolia. But, i fail to understand the terms used in the keys. These terms are new to me. I tried and failed to learn about them using google search. I need more help on these.

Except for glume colour, i fail to sort out which of the attached pic shows the, "central spike larger than others; nut bearing glumes winged; (glumes white); winged towards distal end, wings ciliate" .... (the key to K. nemoralis).

According to eflora China -
Glume color -
Culms -
Am i going completely wrong way?

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jul 3, 2012, 1:29:42 PM7/3/12
to manudev madhavan, Pudji Widodo, J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

I have now by my side, a book, "BANGLAR GHAS O BANSH" (Grasses and Bamboos of Bengal) by Dr Dulal Chandra Paul.

This book, written for enthusiasts, also features some Cyperaceae members, since they are also grasses to us, the commoners.

According to above mentioned book the Kyllinga species found in West Bengal is Kyllinga monocephala Rottb., the accepted name being Kyllinga nemoralis as have been confirmed by Manudev Ji and Pudji Ji in  earlier mails.

Regards,

Surajit Koley