Flower for Id-MN040911

mani nair

Sep 4, 2011, 3:19:23 AM9/4/11
to indiantreepix
Dear friends,

Sending a photo of flower. Kindly identify.

Regards,

Mani.

plant-id.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 4, 2011, 3:28:36 AM9/4/11
to mani nair, indiantreepix
Melastoma malabathricum L. of Melastomataceae family.

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

harithasandhya

Sep 4, 2011, 6:08:33 AM9/4/11
to efloraofindia
Melastoma malabathricum.
Called 'kathali' in Malayalam.

Regards,
Sandhya
>  plant-id.jpg
> 98KViewDownload

Tanay Bose

Sep 4, 2011, 10:29:54 AM9/4/11
to harithasandhya, efloraofindia
Melastoma malabathricum
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Sep 4, 2011, 8:04:19 PM9/4/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Mani Nair ji:

WAS THIS A TREE LIKE PLANT
OR WAS IT A SHRUB, ie HOW TALL WAS IT?

PLEASE TELL US THE HEIGHT of this plant.....

AND if IS IT CULTIVATED or GROWING WILD....

thanks

Usha di
=============

On Sep 4, 7:29 pm, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Melastoma* *malabathricum*
> Tanay
>
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM, harithasandhya <harithasand...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>

> > Melastoma malabathricum.
> > Called 'kathali' in Malayalam.
>
> > Regards,
> > Sandhya
>
> > On Sep 4, 12:19 pm, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear friends,
>
> > > Sending a photo of flower.  Kindly identify.
>
> > > Regards,
>
> > > Mani.
>
> > >  plant-id.jpg
> > > 98KViewDownload
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 5, 2011, 12:07:26 PM9/5/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Dear Usha di,

Few information to your query on behalf of Mani Ji,
This is a shrub that starts flowering by July-August.
It reaches a height of about 1.5-1.8m in height.
Growing mostly in rocky area, open hill slopes  and other open places, road sides, besides railway track, etc.

Regards
Giby

ushadi Micromini

Sep 5, 2011, 6:15:12 PM9/5/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Giby ji: thanks,

but I was not thinking of the generalities... I know what the books and the internet says about melastoma malabathricum..

I was thinking only and only of that particular plant from which the flowers of Mani ji  were from...

Those flower in this may be are from tail end of their blooming time ie past their prime... may be... that's why the flowers dont quite look like the melastoma shrub I used to have... in India...   else where the same kinda flowers on melastoma grows to be a small tree and species is different...   So ...
I am waiting for Mani ji to tell us about his plant....

lets wait to hear from him...
Usha di

=======

mani nair

Sep 6, 2011, 12:08:44 AM9/6/11
to ushadi Micromini, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Dear Usha ji, actually my wife took the photo of the flower. I just
uploaded and sent it. I will ask her and let you know.

Regards,

Mani.

On 9/6/11, ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Giby ji: thanks,
>
> but I was not thinking of the generalities... I know what the books and the
> internet says about melastoma malabathricum..
>
> I was thinking only and only of that particular plant from which the flowers
> of Mani ji were from...
>
> Those flower in this may be are from tail end of their blooming time ie past
> their prime... may be... that's why the flowers dont quite look like the

> melastoma *shrub* I used to have... in India... else where the same kinda
> flowers on melastoma grows to be *a small tree *and species is

J.M. Garg

Jan 21, 2018, 12:43:40 AM1/21/18
to efloraofindia, mani nair, Sandhya Sasidharan
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

plant-id.jpg