Rubia manjith from Manali

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2010, 12:55:45 PM5/28/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
I consider this to be the typical R. manjith (sometimes considered as synonym of variable R. cordifolia) and is very distinct from my other plant (R. cordifolia) in being very lax in habit, much larger and spreading inflorescence, leaves with much longer petiole and distinctly narrower leaf blade and more importantly the fruit is blackish in colour.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rubia-manjith-Manali-1.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-2.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-3.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2010, 11:02:45 PM5/28/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Hari ji
Rubia tinctorum is a much different species with much smaller (hardly 2-3 mm long) petiole and elliptic-lanceolate leaves:

I could not get the description of R. sikkimensis. Any member may kindly help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Dr. Hari Venkatesh.K.Rajaraman <ayurhari...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Guruji. . .Thanks for the post...a very important drug in Ayurveda. . . Called as "Manjishta"...the Rubia species in western ghats are some how the same as found in this photo. . .which we consider as R.cordifolia. . .I have heard of two other species which are also taken in the name of manjishta. . .they are R.tinctorum(available in the himalayas) & R. sikkimensis(Available in North East). . .but looking into both your posts am confused a bit...
the fruits of Manjishta in W.ghats are purely black when they are ripe. . .when i get the photos i will post them
Thank you
--
Dr. Hari Venkatesh. K. Rajaraman
                          M.D. (Ay).P.G.D.H.M.

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 12:10:29 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Nearly all databases consider Rubia manjith as a synonym of Rubia cordifolia Sir Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2010, 1:13:33 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay
I know yes, all except "An annotated checklist of Flowering Plants of Nepal" who treats it as distinct species. However, the fact is that the two plants I have uploaded are so distinct (As enumerated by me in the upload) that I did not feel like considering them same.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Dr. Hari Venkatesh.K.Rajaraman <ayurhari...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Guruji...thanks for the useful link. . .we got an idea about how R.tinctorum looks like. . .
Thank you Tanay ji for the clarifications. . .

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 1:17:15 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Dear Sir,
In Flora of Pakistan The description of R cordifolia matches with your plant .
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2010, 1:29:18 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Tanay, it would because it considers R. manjith as synonym of R. cordifolia. Typical R. cordifolia does not have black fruits.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 1:31:00 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Thats true Sir.
Tanat

R. Vijayasankar

May 29, 2010, 1:36:00 AM5/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,

If there is no intermediate forms, and if it is possible to distinguish these two forms by morpho/ anatomy/ palynology etc. you can reinstate the specific status of R. manjith, as you know.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2010, 2:25:54 AM5/29/10
to R. Vijayasankar, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji
It is a matter of taxonomic judgement as they are heterotypic. In fact most Japanese workers including Tiara (Fl. E. Himal, 1966), Hara (Enumeration of Flowering Plants of Nepal, 1984) and recently Shreshta & Sutton (Enumeration of Flowering plants of Nepal, 2000),  treat R. manjith as distinct from R. cordifolia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

Aug 28, 2016, 9:12:04 AM8/28/16
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
May be Rubia wallichiana Decne. as per Rubiaceae Week: Rubia wallichiana from Manali pl validate by Singh ji
Rubia-manjith-Manali-1.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-2.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-3.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2016, 6:56:31 AM9/2/16
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Ashwini Bhatia

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Rubia-manjith-Manali-1.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-2.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-3.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 8, 2016, 2:25:01 AM9/8/16
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Ashwini Bhatia
Rubia-manjith-Manali-1.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-2.jpg
Rubia-manjith-Manali-3.jpg