Flora of Haryana: Sphaeranthus indicus from Amin Village kurukshetra

Balkar Singh

Nov 15, 2011, 10:41:44 AM11/15/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Sphaeranthus indicus
From Village Amin Kurukshetra (260 mts)
Small Herb with aroma
pls validate

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Sphaeranthus indicus (1).JPG
Sphaeranthus indicus (2).JPG

Satish Phadke

Nov 15, 2011, 11:38:12 AM11/15/11
to Balkar Singh, indiantreepix
Very nice Balkar ji
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Tanay Bose

Nov 15, 2011, 12:48:28 PM11/15/11
to Satish Phadke, Balkar Singh, indiantreepix
A good one thanks for sharing Balkar Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Singh

Nov 15, 2011, 7:58:18 PM11/15/11
to Tanay Bose, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Tanay and Satish Ji

Ushadi micromini

Nov 16, 2011, 7:36:11 AM11/16/11
to efloraindia
Yes,
Blakar ji...
did the leaves have a strong smell?

The flowers have pharmacological activity: reduces anxiety at least
in mice in the maze tests...

Usha di
=====

On Nov 16, 5:58 am, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tanay and Satish Ji
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Tanay Bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A good one thanks for sharing Balkar Ji
> > Tanay
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Very nice Balkar ji
>
> >> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com>

Balkar Singh

Nov 16, 2011, 7:37:40 AM11/16/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraindia
Yes Ushadi ji
They were having strong smell

Balkar Singh

Nov 18, 2011, 6:57:18 AM11/18/11
to kamasani narasimhareddy, indiantreepix
As per the suggestion and key provided by dr Reddy I also think this
plant should be Sphaeranthus senegalensis
Attaching closeup of leaves for validation

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM, kamasani narasimhareddy
<drknre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dr. Balker Ji,
>
> It may be Sphaeranthus senegalensis. leaves single dentate. (Ref.
> Flora of India Vol.13, by BSI, Calcutta).
>

> Keys
>
>     1a. Stems not winged or rarely narrowly winged; glomeruli
> conical, subsessile, brownish;
>   outer florets not more than 4
> ---------------------------2.Sphaeranthus amaranthoides
>
>  b. Stems winged; glomeruli spherical or ovoid, pedunculate, glabrous,
> white, purple or                       violet; outer florets more than
> 4   -----------------------------------2
>
> 2a. Wings entire, glomeruli not more than 1 cm across; peduncles
> glabrous; involucral bracts not ciliate at apex
> -------------------------------------1. Sphaeranthus africanus
>
>  b. Wings toothed; glomeruli up to 2.5 cm across, peduncles
> pubescent; involucral bracts ciliate at apex
>      --------------------------------3
>
> 3a. Leaves double-dentate and with stalked glands
> ----------Sphaeranthus indicus
>
>   b. Leaves single dentate and with sessile glands
> -------------Sphaeranthus senegalensis
>
> (Ref. Flora of India Vol.13-Asteraceae (Inuleae-Vernonieae) By R.K.
> Hajra et al.1995. BSI, India)
>

> With regards
> Reddy, K.N
> Research Scientist