Habenaria marginata_NBR_Teh_Aug 2010

Ninad Raut

Aug 19, 2010, 2:22:43 PM8/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Sharing Habenaria marginata with you all.

Details: Common name: (English) Golden Yellow Habenaria; (Marathi) पिवली हबेआमरी (Pivali habe amri)

Photographed at: District Tehri, Uttarakhand on August 14, 2010.

Forest type: Pine Forest

Elevation: 1300m

Additional info:

Acc. to eFlora of China:

Habenaria marginata Colebrooke in Hooker, Exot. Fl. 2: ad t. 136. 1824.

Platanthera marginata (Colebrooke) Lindley.

Plants 8-37 cm tall. Tubers ellipsoid or narrowly ellipsoid, 2-4 × 1-2.5 cm, fleshy. Stem erect, terete, glabrous, with 1 or 2 tubular sheaths at base, 3-5 leaves below middle, and 3-5 bractlike leaves above. Leaf blade narrowly oblong or oblong-lanceolate, 4-9 × 1-2 cm, base contracted into amplexicaul sheath, margin yellow when dried, apex acuminate or subobtuse. Raceme 3-15-flowered, 2.5-10 cm; floral bracts lanceolate, apex long acuminate; ovary twisted, arching, cylindric-fusiform, including pedicel 8-13 mm. Sepals green, petals and lip yellow. Dorsal sepal forming a hood with petals, erect, cordate or broadly ovate, concave, 7-7.5 × 5-6 mm, 3-veined, apex acute; lateral sepals reflexed, obliquely ovate or narrowly ovate-oblong, 7.5-8.5 × 2.5-3.5 mm, 3-veined, apex acute. Petals obliquely ovate-triangular, 6.5-7.3 × 3-3.8 mm, 2-veined, apex acute; lip spreading, 11-13 mm, deeply 3-lobed above base; lateral lobes spreading at acute angles to mid-lobe, linear or linear-lanceolate, 7-8 × 1-1.4 mm; mid-lobe ligulate, 8-9 × 2-2.3 mm; spur pendulous, clavate, 8-13 mm, apical half dilated and 1.5-2 mm in diam.; stigmas falcate, long. Fl. Oct-Nov. 2n = 42.

Forests, grasslands at forest margins; 500-1200 m. S Yunnan [Bhutan, India, Kashmir, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand].

[http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=242422762]

Acc. to eFlora of Pakistan

Type: Botanical Garden, Calcutta (Introduced by accident according to Mr. Cole¬brooke, obs. July 1814).

[http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=242422762]

Many Regards,
Ninad

--
Ninad B. Raut
Senior Research Fellow

"Survey and Mapping of Medicinal Plants in Uttarakhand"
Department of Habitat Ecology

Wildlife Institute of India
P.O. Box # 18, Chandrabani
Dehradun - 248 001. India
Tel: 0135 26401 11 - 15

Habenaria marginata_Clsup_NBR Teh 2010.jpg
Habenaria marginata_NBR Teh 2010.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 19, 2010, 2:38:34 PM8/19/10
to Ninad Raut, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ninad

Thanks a lot for sharing. This is one of the very few Habenarias in
India which has yellow flowers. Till evening I thought that this plant
is

Habenaria marginata Colebr. in W.J.Hooker, Exot. Fl.: t. 136 (1824).

but when I saw Dr. Almeida's Flora of Maharastra, I got shocked and my
over 8 years of Orchid research went in vain, because he calls this
plant as

Habenaria heyneana Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 320 (1835), Almeida,
Orchidaceae in, Flora of Maharastra vol 5A, t. 18, f. 52, p. 58
(2009).

and according to him this is the plant which is called Tooth Brush
Orchid. At first I thought there was a mistake in attaching the pics
in the book, but then I realised that he has described this plant with
yellow flowers, but the original H. heyneana which I had known was
having white flowers which were secund.

God save me!
Pankaj

Ninad Raut

Aug 19, 2010, 2:47:59 PM8/19/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj Sir,
Thanks for correction but I even checked on Flowers of India
Mr. Pravin Kawale's photo which was identified by Pravin ji and Mr.
Navendu Page.

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Golden%20Yellow%20Habenaria.html

Regards
Ninad Raut
SRF, WII (Dehra Dun)

On Aug 19, 11:38 pm, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Ninad
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing. This is one of the very few Habenarias in
> India which has yellow flowers. Till evening I thought that this plant
> is
>
> Habenaria marginata Colebr. in W.J.Hooker, Exot. Fl.: t. 136 (1824).
>
> but when I saw Dr. Almeida's Flora of Maharastra, I got shocked and my
> over 8 years of Orchid research went in vain, because he calls this
> plant as
>
> Habenaria heyneana Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 320 (1835), Almeida,
> Orchidaceae in, Flora of Maharastra vol 5A, t. 18, f. 52, p. 58
> (2009).
>
> and according to him this is the plant which is called Tooth Brush
> Orchid. At first I thought there was a mistake in attaching the pics
> in the book, but then I realised that he has described this plant with
> yellow flowers, but the original H. heyneana which I had known was
> having white flowers which were secund.
>
> God save me!
> Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 19, 2010, 3:22:46 PM8/19/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
I didnt say that I corrected the id of your plant. I am just confused.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 19, 2010, 11:34:19 PM9/19/10
to efloraofindia, Ninad Raut, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar Raman, Tabish
Resurfacing again for ID

Confusion persists

Habenaria marginata or H. heyniana

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Habenaria marginata_Clsup_NBR Teh 2010.jpg
Habenaria marginata_NBR Teh 2010.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 20, 2010, 11:41:23 AM9/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, schnd...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Ninad Raut, Vijayasankar Raman, Tabish
There was no need to resurface this one. It was already identified as
Habenaria marginata Colebr. I respect Dr. Almeida so I dont wish to
comment on his work....

For the convenience of all I am attaching the type of both Habenaria
marginata and Habenaria heyneana. There is no need to check Flora of
Bombay Presidency by Cooke if the images of Type are available for
free on internet.

I would certainly like to check the past floras to know where the
mistake arose from.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate

Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India

Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Smita Raskar

Sep 20, 2010, 11:58:24 AM9/20/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, schnd...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Ninad Raut, Vijayasankar Raman, Tabish
With due respect for everyone i want to say somethig...
 i have seen that flora too and i know Picture of Habenaria marginata is labeled as H.hyneana...it is just printing mistake
i was suppose tell sir about this but neither i am researcher,expert  nor taxonomist so i have no authority to say anything so i kept quiet, but i wonder when people doubt on identification given by expert on the basis of flora ..why they do not think that there can be error or printing mistake in flora
--
Smita raskar
M.Sc.(Botany), B.Ed.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 20, 2010, 12:21:37 PM9/20/10
to Smita Raskar, Gurcharan Singh, schnd...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Ninad Raut, Vijayasankar Raman, Tabish
Sorry my attachment didnt upload. I am uploading it again.

I agree with Ms. Smita's point, it can be typographic error. Sometimes
just today happened with me, I wrote description of an orchid under
the name of different species unknowingly.

But, my point was something different. To confirm the identity of a
species we should first try to look at the original description and
then we may think of looking the latter descriptions from other floras
or whatever publication we get. Other floras may be wrong, but the
first description or the type description is the best thing to look
into. Now a days lots of original references are available on net.
Trust me, they are more easily available than Flora of Maharastra!! of
Flora of India fascicles by BSI....that too for free!! You just need
to search on internet.

Yes, for daily use purpose, you may use the local floras whatever is available.
Thank you and hope my point will be taken in good spirits.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

rent

TYPE OF H HEYNEANA.jpg
TYPE OF H MARGINATA.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 20, 2010, 3:43:57 PM9/20/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smita Raskar, schnd...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Ninad Raut, Vijayasankar Raman, Tabish
Pankaj ji
The type images did get uploaded both times. I have not seen Almeida's Flora and don't know whether the mistake is just in attaching image/illustration, or he has committed errors even in description. If it is only a matter of wrong labelling of image, it can be easily understood. I remember when found illustration of Prinsepia utilis wrongly labelled in Wealth of India. In Royle's original book on Himalayan plants, he had called left image as b and right as a whereas the legend was opposite, so that name of left picture appeared under the right picture. While this was copied in wealth of India Prinsepia utilis carried the name of another plant (perhaps Prunus cornuta). I wrote about it to the Editor of Wealth of India, who first tried to give me the explanation, but when I gave him the real reason for error in Wealth of India, He promised to correct it. I don't know whether it was carried out.