Kannada names of Homalium ceylanicum

Dinesh Valke

Dec 10, 2017, 6:13:08 AM12/10/17
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Please help me with the following names of Homalium ceylanicum in native script ...

ಕಾಲ kala is name for Homalium ceylanicum listed in Latin and Kannada names of indigenous and medicinal plants of Mysore by S G Narsimhachar

There is a name kalamattiga listed in Biotik
http://www.biotik.org/india/species/h/homazeyl/homazeyl_en.html

How would it be written: ಕಾಲಮತ್ತಿಗ / ಕಾಲಮತ್ತಿಗಾ / ಕಾಲಮಟ್ಟಿಗ / ಕಾಲಮಟ್ಟಿಗಾ ?

Another name listed in Biotik is hulikaddi mara ... please validate whether ಹುಳಿಕಡ್ಡಿ ಮರ is correctly written.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Dec 11, 2017, 8:22:33 AM12/11/17
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 11, 2017, 9:04:39 AM12/11/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji.
I have got them validated from facebook.

hulikaddi mara ... as ... ಹುಳಿಕಡ್ಡಿ ಮರ
kalamattiga ... as ... ಕಳಮಟ್ಟಿಗ

Regards.
Dinesh

M Swamy

Dec 11, 2017, 11:19:21 PM12/11/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
 Dear Garg ji / Dinesh ji,
  • ಕಾಲ kala :    Name given / suggested  by S G Narsimhachar  must be coorect  as he was a Great  Botanist (Embryologist)  and knew  both Kannada  and English   very well, rather a scholar in my view.
  • Correct  transliteration of  kalamattiga  is ಕಾಲಮಟ್ಟಿಗ
  • ಹುಳಿಕಡ್ಡಿ ಮರ is correctly written.  ಹುಳಿ  means sour (like tamarind juice ) ; ಕಡ್ಡಿ  means stick;  ಮರ means tree.     It is not possible to spell  ಹುಳಿ correctly in English .  Huli is common for  ಹುಲಿ   (tiger) and ಹುಳಿ (sour)  .  In this connection   ಹುಳಿ  is more appropriate.      ----  Dr,Mahadeswara Swamy

Dinesh Valke

Dec 11, 2017, 11:43:35 PM12/11/17
to M Swamy, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Mahadeswara ji for the meanings and clarifications.
I am happy about ಹುಳಿಕಡ್ಡಿ ಮರ hulikaddi mara. It transliterates to sour-stick tree. Perhaps the twigs are sour in taste !!
About kalamattiga, I too think it must be an extension of already known name ಕಾಲ kala. And thus would be ಕಾಲಮಟ್ಟಿಗ.
The Malayalam page of Biotik's Homalium ceylanicum shows Malayalam transcription of the Kannada name as കല്‍മട്ടിഗ = ಕಳಮಟ್ಟಿಗ in Kannada ... what do you think about this ? Could this be possibly in error ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Dec 12, 2017, 10:26:47 PM12/12/17
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Mahadeswara ji for this validation. Glad that the name is compiled in its correct form.
I will make corrections accordingly.
Regards,
Dinesh

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM, M Swamy <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Dinesh ji,

Thank you very much for your message.   Your presumption is correct.      ಕಳಮಟ್ಟಿಗ  might be an error.  In my view,
ಕಾಲಮಟ್ಟಿಗ  is correct, rather very appropriate.
I appreciate your sincere efforts to  provide local names in correct form.

With regards,
Dr.Mahadeswara Swamy