Eupatorium adenophorum

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2008, 9:24:02 PM11/12/08
to indiantreepix
Eupatorium adenophorum in Narshapur forest, 80 Km. from Hyderabad, AP on 18/10/08. I hope Id is correct.
From Indiantreepix Database:
Eupatorium adenophorum Syn. Ageratina adenophora Asteraceae Eupatorium adenophorum information from NPGS/GRIN Plant ID - 16052005BG ....1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://www.weeds.org.au/images/weedident/H01-1.jpg http://www2.lubw.baden-wuerttemberg.de/public/abt2/dokablage/oac_168/typ_01/0111831_1.jpg
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Eupatorium adenophorum is it- in Narshapur forest, AP I2 IMG_1100.jpg
Eupatorium adenophorum is it- in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0805.jpg
Eupatorium adenophorum is it- in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0808.jpg

Nayan Singh

Nov 13, 2008, 12:27:36 AM11/13/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Garg
To me your plant looks like Ageratum conizoides form Asteraceae family.
Thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Nov 13, 2008, 3:28:36 AM11/13/08
to Nayan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dungriyal ji,
Here is a link for Ageratum conizoides with a picture: http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Ageratum_conizoides.htm, but I am not sure about this Id. Specimen picture at: http://membres.lycos.fr/neonico/herbier/composees_ac.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2008, 10:54:08 AM11/14/08
to Nayan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Nayan ji,
After going through Shrikant ji's book I feel it's not Eupatorium adenophorum & my photo is matching with description of Ageratum conizoides.

Nayan Singh

Nov 14, 2008, 12:38:29 PM11/14/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com

 Dear Garg ji

I have compiled some invasive characters of Ageratum conyzoides for the preparation of Tiger Conservation Plan for Pench Tiger Reserve, which are as following -

Ageratum conyzoides is native to South America that has invaded and now naturalized several parts of India. It possesses a number of ecological strategies, such as fast growth rate, quick regenerative and reproductive potential like production of large number of small-sized wind and water-disseminated seeds and vegetative proliferation through stolons & greater tolerance/adaptability, helping it to form monocultural stands. Its invasion greatly affects the structure and composition of natural vegetation and also reduces plant diversity.
 With warm regards.

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Nov 15, 2008, 12:52:00 PM11/15/08
to Nayan Singh, J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dungriyal,
I do not follow the logic. You claim to have studied the invasive
charecters of Ageratum conyzoides that may be useful in the
conservation plan of the Pench Tiger Reserve. A plant that is invasive
to the extent of forming a monoculture. Is this not against the very
idea of conservation? The Tiger and its habitat have evolved over
centuries and your proposal would ensure the destruction of several
local plants.
I live at the edge of a forest and have seen the decimation of wild
stretches by logging and planting of Teak. The animals have been
deprived of their food. Today, the monkeys come into plantations to
feed on the fruits planted and even to feed on ripe coffee. Had the
forest department left even small stretches to the animals, this would
not have happened.
It is a sad story.
regards
Yazdy Palia.