tree of spicy seeds

ushaprabha page

Oct 9, 2010, 6:25:32 AM10/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is Zanthoxylum rhetsa  tree  f. ruaceae, showing  its spinous bark and prickly branches seen  below Aswalkhind in Mahad taluka in konkan.
So far I have seen this tree only in the forests and that also occasionally.
Small round hard berry-like fruits are used as spice in sea food.
for photo of the flowers I have referred  a book `further Flowers of Sahyadri..
could not see flowers and fruits this time.
I wonder whether it is cultivated or grows only in nature
i have seen it before on Patan- Koyana road near Koyana
and in Dev-rai near Shedani on Mulashi- Lonavala road..
PA030047.JPG
PA030048.JPG
PA030049.JPG
PA030050.JPG