Someone has said you are right. Yes in one aspect you are.
But other points to consider
1. People keep bonsai in house, balcany, small gardens in front of the house where space restriction comes.
2. No one make bonsai in forests and jungles where lot of space is available for individual plant to grow to full extent.
3. Bonsai are made of generally big growing trees, which are practically imposible to grow in balcany with the size 4' by 6'.
4. Those who have access to open gardens infront of the house can grow max one or two big trees.
5. In such cases I feel bonsai atleast bring some greenary to the house, preserve the genome.
6. They continue to do the function of trees, that is producing oxygen, using carbondioxide etc etc. Neede in cement jungle.
7. Think about the asthetic beauty given by them.
8. Think about the people who are not actually been able to go out and admire the beauty.
9. Think about the creater's joy when a successful bonsai is achieved.
10. Looking at a flowering/ fruting/ prfectly shaped bonsai is soothing to mind, help in reducing BP. gives pleasures etc etc.
I think benefits are more. I do have pictures of some beautiful bonsai. Will have to search. May send some time.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel