VALMIKI : OBSERVER OF NATURE

Col Bimal Sarkar

May 28, 2011, 11:53:09 AM5/28/11
Dear Friend,
Valmiki used CHUTA/AMRA for the same tree,in his Ramayan.The common name for this tree is Mango.Scientifically it is known as Mangifera indica.This is what Chakravarti S Venkatesh says in his " Our Tree Neighbours ",about the etymology of the scientific name.
" Incidentally it will be of interest to know that the Latin name Mangifera is originally derived from the Tamil word Manga for unripe fruit of this tree."
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Chuta 1.jpg

Ushadi micromini

May 28, 2011, 10:20:31 PM5/28/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Bimalda : thank you for reminding us of the origin of mangoe's latin
name...
and your series on Valmiki...
Usha ( as in Usha di)

==

>  Chuta 1.jpg
> 97KViewDownload

Col Bimal Sarkar

May 29, 2011, 10:50:40 AM5/29/11
Dear Friend,
I am sure ,you are familiar with a flower ,commonly known as Flame Of the Forest.Valmiki calls it Kinshuka or Palasha in his Ramayan.Scientifically it is known as Butea monosperma syn Butea frondosa.
Attaching an imge of KINSHUKA.You may like it.
Kinshuka 1.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 31, 2011, 1:58:53 AM5/31/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, indiantreepix
And there is a Hindi proverb 'Dhak ke teen paat' which means worthless or fruitless effort and you come back to the original position to restart your efforts.
ak

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Col Bimal Sarkar <colbima...@yahoo.com> wrote:
You are right sir.In North India it is known as Dhak.

Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942

Jun 1, 2011, 8:47:35 AM6/1/11
Dear Friend,
Valmiki mentioned TINDUKA tree in his Ramayan.In English it is Gaub Persimmon.In my childhood I have eatten ripe fruit of this tree.Sweet but not very tasty.Pulped fruit of this tree is used as preservative for fishing nets(ofcoure before the invesion of polymers ).
Tinduka 1.jpg
Tinduka 2.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Jun 1, 2011, 11:55:42 AM6/1/11
Dear Friend,
I have attached two images of TINDUKA as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan,in an earlier message.I did not mention the scientific name of the tree in that mail.The scientific name of TINDUKA is Diospyros peregrina.
Tinduka 1.jpg
Tinduka 2.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Jun 3, 2011, 10:04:00 AM6/3/11
Bear Friend,
Poet Valmiki has mentioned BILVA tree in his Ramayn.Scientifically Bilva is known as Aeglemarmelos.Valmiki compared the shape of the fruits of this tree with that of female body part.Attaching two images of BILVA.You may like it.
Bilva 1.jpg
Bilva 2.jpg