flower for ID180910MN

mani nair

Sep 18, 2010, 11:34:24 AM9/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Kindly Identify this flower.
Regards,
Mani.

Date/Time :  15th September 2010
Location Place :  Near Colva beach, Goa ... Altitude :  ... GPS : ...
Habitat : Wild ... Type :...
Plant Habit : Herb ... Height :  2 meters ... Length
Leaves Type :  ... Shape :  ... Size...
Inflorescence Type :  ... Size
Flowers Size :  ... Colour : red ... Calyx :  ... Bracts
Fruits Type : ... Shape :  ... Size :  ... Seeds

Other Info :  found butterflies hovering around it
Fragrance :  ...  Pollinator :  ...  Uses : ...

flowerforid.JPG
flowerforid1.jpg
flowerforid2.jpg
flowerforid3.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 18, 2010, 11:35:46 AM9/18/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Clerodendrum paniculatum
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Satish Phadke

Sep 18, 2010, 11:43:30 AM9/18/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mani ji
Clerodendrum paniculatum indeed Family Verbanaceae. I have seen these planted on hedges around the houses in Konkan.
I also observed them in Karnataka near Kudremukh.
Dr Phadke

mani nair

Sep 18, 2010, 10:49:59 PM9/18/10
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pankaj ji and Satish ji for the flower ID.  One thing I observed that it is liked by butterflies as many types of butterflies were hovering around it.  You can see one butterfly also in the first photo enjoying the nectar.

Regards,

Mani.

Narendra Joshi

Sep 19, 2010, 8:01:00 AM9/19/10
to mani nair, Indiantrees
The flowers are of - (Marathi- Turra), Clerodendrum paniculatum

Narendra Joshi