Wild Flower for ID-161109-RK-1

ranjini kamath

Nov 15, 2009, 7:06:46 AM11/15/09
to indiatreepix
Request ID of this wild flower.Pic taken on way to Gende Hosalli [near
Srirangapatna],Karnataka on 11-11-09.[There were plenty of wild
flowers thanks to a spell of rain just before ].
Thank you.

Ranjini Kamath
IMG_6050-ph.jpg

Nayan Singh

Nov 15, 2009, 8:05:04 AM11/15/09
to ranjini kamath, indiantreepix
looks like some Hyptis sp. may be Hyptis suveolens - American mint
thanks
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Nov 16, 2009, 1:11:03 AM11/16/09
to indiatreepix
Very tiny flowers.Magnified view of flowers shown in picture.Towards
Gende Hosalli,Karnataka.Taken-11-11-09.Request ID.
Thank you.
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_6074-ph-xy.jpg
IMG_6069-ph-x3.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 16, 2009, 1:31:18 AM11/16/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
... would it some species of Indigofera ?
Regards.

ranjini kamath

Nov 16, 2009, 3:39:53 AM11/16/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Dinesh ji I looked up flowersofindia & this conforms to Indigofera
linnae -Birdsville indigo-Fam: Fabaceae.Thanks for the lead!
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

On 11/16/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... would it some species of *Indigofera* ?
> Regards.
>

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM, ranjini kamath <ranj...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Very tiny flowers.Magnified view of flowers shown in picture.Towards
>> Gende Hosalli,Karnataka.Taken-11-11-09.Request ID.
>> Thank you.
>> Ranjini Kamath
>>
>> --

>> .

phil walton

Nov 16, 2009, 5:39:19 AM11/16/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
These are Madagascar periwinkles of the genus caranthus. We don't get this particular colour in the North though they are plentiful. Beautiful, Ranjini !!!

Phil James

2009/11/16 ranjini kamath <ranj...@gmail.com>

Visit our updated blog for recent news: http://pklchdfam.blogspot.com/

Our keys are here--click below!
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfnh2zwj_308ddcp9pfz

Tabish

Nov 16, 2009, 8:23:54 AM11/16/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Phil James,
This cannot be Madagascar periwinkle by any stretch of imagination!
Most likely it is Indigofera
linnae
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Birdsville%20Indigo.html
Cheers!
- Tabish

On Nov 16, 3:39 pm, phil walton <walton.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *These are Madagascar periwinkles of the genus caranthus. We don't get this
> particular colour in the North though they are plentiful. Beautiful, Ranjini
> **!!!
>
> Phil James*
>
> 2009/11/16 ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com>
>

> > Very tiny flowers.Magnified view of flowers shown in picture.Towards
> > Gende Hosalli,Karnataka.Taken-11-11-09.Request ID.
> > Thank you.
> >                  Ranjini Kamath
>
> > --

> > .

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 16, 2009, 11:04:49 AM11/16/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Indigofera linnaei seems to be the closest match

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

Nov 18, 2009, 1:31:25 AM11/18/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear sir,
The herb also matches Indigofera linifolia, You can confirm by looking at Globose pods and Even-pinnate leaves.
If the leaves are odd-pinnate, then the plant is I. linnaei

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM, ranjini kamath <ranj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth
Chennai
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2009, 11:36:23 AM12/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, Nayan Singh, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia
Resurfacing for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback from Nayan ji..looks like some Hyptis sp. may be Hyptis suveolens - American mint

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Dec 3, 2009, 1:43:05 PM12/3/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Muthu,
*Indigofera linifolia* has simple leaves which are almost linear.
The species name linifolia means leaves like Linum.
*Indigofera linnaei* has compound leaves with small leaflets.
Rajini's plant has compound leaves, as far as I can make out. So, I
think we can rule out *Indigofera linifolia*. I don't know if there
exists another Indigofera species which matched Ranjini's plant better
than *Indigofera linnaei*.
- Tabish

On Dec 3, 9:36 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resurfacing for ID confirmation
>
> Earlier feedback from Nayan ji..looks like some Hyptis sp. may be Hyptis
> suveolens - American mint
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Associate Professor

> From: Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in>
> Date: Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM
> Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:23051] Wild Flower for ID-161109-RK-1
> To: ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com>
>
> Cc: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>
>
> looks like some Hyptis sp. may be Hyptis suveolens - American mint
> thanks
> Nayan.
> N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> Chief Conservator of Forests
> and Field Director
> Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
> M.P.
> 09424792100
>
>  ------------------------------

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 3, 2009, 6:47:26 PM12/3/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish ji
I think your reply belongs to some different thread

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Dec 4, 2009, 11:07:23 AM12/4/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Hyptis suaveolens

Santhosh

2009/11/15 ranjini kamath <ranj...@gmail.com>

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar
Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com