Habenaria crinifera, Doll Orchid from N. Western Ghats 04092011

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Sep 4, 2011, 4:01:05 AM9/4/11
to indiantreepix
A rare epiphytic orchid found on moss covered stems of old trees in evergreen forests. Plant about 10-20 cm tall, leafy at base; leaves 2-3, oblong, 5-15 cm. Flowers in short racemes 5-8 cm long on peduncles 10-20 cm long. Bracts 1 cm. Capsules 3-4 cm. Possibly the only species of the genus that is epiphytic (at least in NW Ghats), the rest being terrestrial. Flowering presently along with terestrial Habenarias. Regards,

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!
Habenaria_crinifera.jpg

Prashant awale

Sep 4, 2011, 6:26:57 AM9/4/11
to Shrikant Ingalhalikar, indiantreepix
Wow, fantastic.
Thanks Shrikant ji for this post of Bahuli Habenaria.
Regards
Prashant

raju

Sep 4, 2011, 8:29:53 AM9/4/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Shrikantji,

Thanks for showing such a beautiful Habenaria

Regards,

On Sep 4, 3:26 pm, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, fantastic.
> Thanks Shrikant ji for this post of Bahuli Habenaria.
> Regards
> Prashant
>
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
> <le...@rediffmail.com>wrote:
>

> > A rare epiphytic orchid found on moss covered stems of old trees in
> > evergreen forests. Plant about 10-20 cm tall, leafy at base; leaves 2-3,
> > oblong, 5-15 cm. Flowers in short racemes 5-8 cm long on peduncles 10-20 cm
> > long. Bracts 1 cm. Capsules 3-4 cm. Possibly the only species of the genus
> > that is epiphytic (at least in NW Ghats), the rest being terrestrial.
> > Flowering presently along with terestrial Habenarias. Regards,
>
> > Shrikant Ingalhalikar
> > 12 Varshanand Society
> > Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
> > Pune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.com
> > Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
> > Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> > <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.co...>
> > Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with *Rediff
> > Deal ho jaye!<http://track.rediff.com/click?url=___http://dealhojaye.rediff.com?sc_...>

Ushadi micromini

Sep 4, 2011, 10:37:08 AM9/4/11
to efloraofindia
What a beauty , beautifully photographed ... I vote for this one..
Usha di

==============

On Sep 4, 1:01 pm, "Shrikant Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
wrote:
> A rare epiphytic&nbsp;orchid found on moss covered stems of old trees in evergreen forests. Plant about 10-20 cm tall, leafy at base; leaves 2-3, oblong, 5-15 cm. Flowers in short racemes 5-8 cm long on peduncles 10-20 cm long. Bracts 1 cm. Capsules 3-4 cm. Possibly the only species of the genus that is epiphytic (at least in NW Ghats), the rest being terrestrial. Flowering presently along with terestrial Habenarias. Regards,&nbsp;Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel91 20 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
>  Habenaria_crinifera.jpg
> 1655KViewDownload

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Sep 4, 2011, 12:59:33 PM9/4/11
to efloraofindia
I didnt know that it was epiphytic.....thanks a lot for sharing this
beautiful pic. I imagine it look more like a VOODOO DOLL !!!
Pankaj

On Sep 4, 7:37 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What a beauty , beautifully photographed ... I vote for this one..
> Usha di
>
> ==============
>
> On Sep 4, 1:01 pm, "Shrikant  Ingalhalikar" <le...@rediffmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > A rare epiphytic&nbsp;orchid found on moss covered stems of old trees in evergreen forests. Plant about 10-20 cm tall, leafy at base; leaves 2-3, oblong, 5-15 cm. Flowers in short racemes 5-8 cm long on peduncles 10-20 cm long. Bracts 1 cm. Capsules 3-4 cm. Possibly the only species of the genus that is epiphytic (at least in NW Ghats), the rest being terrestrial. Flowering presently along with terestrial Habenarias. Regards,&nbsp;Shrikant Ingalhalikar12 Varshanand SocietyAnandnagar Sinhagad RoadPune 411 051.www.idsahyadri.comTel9120 2435 0765.Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
>
> >  Habenaria_crinifera.jpg
> > 1655KViewDownload

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 4, 2011, 2:06:47 PM9/4/11