Flower & Tree of the month: Ceiba speciosa

JANAKI TURAGA

Nov 2, 2009, 2:09:29 AM11/2/09
to treepix Indian, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi all,
My flower and Tree of the month is Ceiba speciosa also known as Floss Silk Tree with Pink flowers.
It is in bloom now, and it is always a spectacular sight! Notice its incredibly vibrant colours and the creamy satiny texture of its petals.
Another tree of the same family-Ceiba insignis, White Floss Silk Tree also blooms at the same time and also spectacularly!
Wild and native in South America, now it is naturalised in India and is a tree widely planted for its blooms in parks and roads!
Enjoy
Janaki Turaga
Pink Floss Silk Flower.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 2, 2009, 2:52:51 AM11/2/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com
Yes Janaki ji
The tree is a briliant sight to see in full bloom. I had to wait for nearly eight months after catching flowering in Bombax ceiba and Ceiba pentandra, to see Ceiba speciosa to flower. I fist caught it in California in first week of October,. Now it is in full bloom in Delhi.
I am sending them separately
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College