Requesting a fern id (15112021)- 2

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2021, 8:30:43 AM11/27/21
to efloraofindia, Sachin Bhaskar
Segregating post clubbed due to same subject:
Respected community,

The habit is herbaceous, the leaf appears like a simple leaf of angiosperm. It has intricate venetion. Could it be a fern first if all?

Thanks and regards,

Sachin Bhaskar.
IMG_20211107_105214.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2021, 8:30:49 AM11/27/21

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2021, 8:31:22 AM11/27/21
to efloraofindia, Sachin Bhaskar
Yes, it is a fern - and is widely in cultivation and commerce world-wide.  The correct name under the International Code of Nomenclature is Mickelopteris cordata, though in previous literature it was called Hemionitis arifolia or Parahemionitis arifolia.  But the  designated lectotype of arifolia is a different genus and species altogether and this species is separate from Hemionitis.

It likes growing on mossy walls in south India and dries up completely in the dry season.  I have a big plant here in my little garden in Portugal that I bought in a Lidl supermarket, growing well in a pot  outside- though it started drying up last week when I forgot to water it, now recovered.  I hope it will get through our wet Winter.

The plant produces interesting little adventive plantlets from a bulbil in the crux of the frond at the top of the stipe, when growing well, so you get tiny plants emerging on top of the leaves - curious and interesting horticulturally.

Best,
    Chris Fraser-Jenkins.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 at 18:56, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--