Breynia retusa

Prashant awale

Jul 11, 2009, 11:55:17 AM7/11/09
to indiantreepix
Breynia retusa (Phyllanthaceae family), photographed at "Dhodani Village-- panvel".

best wishes
Prashant..
Breynia retusaITP-9.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 11, 2009, 12:09:15 PM7/11/09
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... many thanks for sharing this beauty, Prashant, a rarity !!
Regards.

Hemanth

Jul 11, 2009, 2:55:10 PM7/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix

Hey dinesh,

This is quite common in our forests of Maharashtra.

What you see in the image is the fruit, flowers face to the lower side and seem to be place below the leaf although the attachment is up. As the fruit formation is triggered flowers turning into fruits gradually come up and look like cup and saucer…

-hemant

Dinesh Valke

Jul 11, 2009, 3:14:20 PM7/11/09
to Hemanth, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... yes Hemant, a common plant ... by rarity I meant in terms of its flowers being photographed - my expression was incomplete ... apologies.
Most of times, it is the fruits that attracts attention, the flowers go unnoticed because it blends with foliage.

What we see in the photo - I thought are the female flowers.
The flowers appearing below must be the male flowers.

Take a look at photos I have, I need your validation.

Regards.

Hemanth

Jul 11, 2009, 3:45:01 PM7/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix

I am so sorry dinesh…

I always thought…even the female flowers would be underside…indeed these are female flowers…

Thanks so much…

It was a stupid mistake..

Sorry..

hemant

Dinesh Valke

Jul 11, 2009, 3:52:29 PM7/11/09
to Hemanth, indiantreepix
... regards and salutes to you, Hemanth.

shubhada nikharge

Jul 13, 2009, 9:31:00 AM7/13/09
to indiantreepix
Hi hemanth,
Here r pics of Breynia retusa ( common name cup and saucer ) fruits at different stages. ( pl tell me if i have numbered them wrongly).
pics taken in the forest near film city, Conservation Education Centre, BNHS, Goregaon East, Mumbai.
cheers,
shubhada

Jul 13, 2009, 9:49:31 AM7/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, indiantreepix

Wow…shubhada…amazing pics…

apologies…the info that I wrote below is not correct…the female flowers are up only and they turn into fruits.

-hemant

Dinesh Valke

Jul 13, 2009, 10:04:32 AM7/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, Hemanth, indiantreepix
Shubhada ji, many thanks for sharing this set of photos.
Regards.

Prashant awale

Jul 13, 2009, 11:21:32 AM7/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, Hemanth, indiantreepix
Do have a look at this link too..

http://www.flowersofindia.net/extrapics/Cup%20Saucer%20Plant-2.jpg

best wishes
Prashant..