A fruiting tree from the hill top

raghu ananth

Aug 11, 2009, 12:12:13 PM8/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A fruiting tree found on top of the Gamayana gudda (Hill),  Uttara Kannada.

Deer climb up the hill in search of this fruit.

Local  Name  (Kannada): Hanale Kai,
Gamayana gudda, Western ghats,

PS: I could not get the scientific name from the internet. Its a well-known fruit among locals.

Regards
Raghu

DSC_3244_GamayanaGudda.jpg
DSC_3245.jpg
DSC_3246.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 11, 2009, 12:53:48 PM8/11/09
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
... absolutely wild guess ... some Diospyros species ?
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Aug 23, 2009, 11:18:10 PM8/23/09
to indiantreepix, raghu ananth, Dinesh Valke

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Earlier feedback from Dinesh ji:

"... absolutely wild guess ... some Diospyros species ?"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC_3244_GamayanaGudda.jpg
DSC_3245.jpg
DSC_3246.jpg

Pardeshi S.

Aug 25, 2009, 5:13:57 AM8/25/09
to indiantreepix
Just a guess
may be a Garcinia fruit

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Rani Bhagat

Aug 25, 2009, 9:03:40 AM8/25/09
to Pardeshi S., indiantreepix
I think it is Garcinia cambogia?

--
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 1:16:02 AM9/6/09
to Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Thanks, Satish ji & Rani ji.
Collected some interesting inf. on Garcinia cambogia as below, which may be of help in final Id.
Garcinia gummi-gutta (syn. G. cambogia, G. quaesita) ? Clusiaceae T Gambooge, Brindleberry, Brindall berry, Fish Tamarind, Malabar Tamarind or Kerala Tamarind, Gorikapuli, Kodumpulli (Kerala), Goraka (Sri Lanka), கொறுக்காய்ப்புளி (Kodukkaippuli) in Tamil, കുടംപുളി (Kudampuli) in Malayalam What is Garcinia Cambogia? Gambooge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Song of the waves - Parayil A. Tharakan Blog: Kerala cuisine: Kudampuli for good taste, better health Garcinia India, Garcinia Cambogia India, Garcinia Extract India, Garcinia Powder India, Garcinia Exporter India, Garcinia Manufacturer India, hydroxycitric acid extract, hydroxycitric acid India, garcinia cambogia extract http://www.ehow.com/about_5055137_garcinia-cambogia-side-effects.html

cheriyan vj

Sep 6, 2009, 8:43:27 AM9/6/09
to J.M. Garg, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Hi all,
Is 'garcinia.cambogia' any different from the kokum fruit one sees in the konkan region.
Thanks
cheriyan

J.M. Garg

Sep 6, 2009, 8:48:56 AM9/6/09
to cheriyan vj, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Hi, Cheriyen ji,
Yes, it is different. See the following link:

Yazdy Palia

Sep 6, 2009, 1:58:51 PM9/6/09
to J.M. Garg, cheriyan vj, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Dear Gargji,
There seems to be something wrong in the blog cited by you. I wonder
if Mr. Parayil has tasted Mangosteen? I wonder how anybody who has
tasted both kudampuli and Magosteen can make a remark that one is the
other name of the other.
My apologies for being blunt. Magosteen is such a delightful fruit.
Kokum is sour.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 6, 2009, 9:11:11 PM9/6/09
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, cheriyan vj, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Yazdy ji

Please don't react like that. Please read the blog carefully. Mr Parayil
does not write Kudampuli and Mangosteen are same, he writes ' It looks
(Kudampulli) like inside of mangosteen fruit'. He also also correctly writes
Kokum and Kudampulli are different.

As I understand from literatuture Kudampulli is G. Gambogia Desr. now
correctly known as Garcinia gummi-gutta (L.) N. Robson. The fruits are
edible, but too acidic and commonly pickled. Kokum is G. indica Choicy (also
known as Kokum butter tree; Mangosteen oil tree) fruits sweet with agreeable
odour, used in jellies and syrups. Mangosteen is G. mangostana L., eaten as
dessert, used in jellies and squashes.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Yazdy Palia

Sep 7, 2009, 1:33:35 PM9/7/09
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, cheriyan vj, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji,

My appologies if I have offended anybody. It is not my intention to
hurt anybody. My language was rather strong, I apologise for it. I was
refering to the sentence I am copying here
"The scientific name for kokum is Gracinia indica. Some of the other
names are amsul, katambi, panarpuli and mangosteen. Photo on the left
shows two kokum fruits".
I have seen Magosteen and it looks just like the fruits in his picture.
I have always maintained that I am not a botanist and am always ready
to accept the verdict of eminent people like you and the others at
indiantreepix.
Thanks once again.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2009, 3:00:00 PM9/7/09
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, cheriyan vj, Rani Bhagat, Pardeshi S., indiantreepix, raghu ananth
Yes Yazdi ji, it is a mistake as you rightly pointed out. Let us enjoy the
interactions on this group, and not get upset by mistakes by others. I being
botanist, know there are so many wrong identifications on different
websites, which confuse others. We have to tolerate them.

Just enjoy this group, and you will feel it is worthwhile.

JM Garg

Jul 28, 2020, 6:52:05 AM7/28/20
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Rani Bhagat
This will be G. indica as per Diversity of Garcinia species in the Western Ghats (pdf): JNTBGRI- Diversity of Garcinia species in the Western Ghats: Phytochemical Perspective- P. S. Shameer, K. B. Rameshkumar and N. Mohanan.
DSC_3244_GamayanaGudda.jpg
DSC_3245.jpg
DSC_3246.jpg