[App][Review]Launcher Battle's :Themer vs Aviate

Sanket Shah

Oct 25, 2013, 8:07:16 AM10/25/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
Goooglw-Home_original

In recent weeks there have been two highly anticipated launchers released onto the Google play store. We take a look at both Aviate and Themer and give our view on both.

Both recently released launchers are currently in beta, which means you’ll need to register your interest and then wait patiently for a pass key to arrive via email.

Whilst both quite different, both Aviate and Themer drastically change the way your android phone looks, with Aviate aiming to create a more inuitive, user-friendly setup, and Themer providing the best personalised homescreens with just a single click.

AVIATE

aviate10613

I’ve been waiting for the release of Aviate for a few months now. Having initially seen it first earlier in the year, I loved the style it offered and the fact that rather than adding a few more features to stock android, Aviate completely changes the way you use your phone.

The aim of Aviate is to turn your phone into a simple layout that offers quick accessibility to apps that are relevant to your in-life situation. The concept is brilliant, and works pretty well. Wake up in the morning and your phone is themed differently, with apps appearing on the home screen relevant to what you might need when you first wake up (News, Weather etc)

aviatethemer6

This feature extends beyond time too. Aviate aims to provide different information dependent on your location. Visiting an area where you want to find a restaurant? Simply slide to the left and find an extensive list of nearby amenities, along with useful information displayed directly on your homescreen without ever having to open any other apps.

aviatethemer4

The concept is brilliant, and for the most part it works pretty well. When in real time use my homescreen did seem to occasionally get stuck on one particular nearby place for the whole day, despite me not having any interest in it. When it works, having the apps you want right there is perfect, but when its slightly off, you end up feeling slightly stalked by your phone whilst it constantly suggests what you might be doing without being accurate.

aviatethemer5

I really enjoy the look of Aviate. I’ve tried many themes and widgets to give my phone a ‘Google Now’ look. For the most part, I’ve been left disappointed, but Aviate is the first launcher I’ve found to really execute it well. It would be nice if there a few more options- changing the look of icons is something I would like – but for the most part, Aviate looks clean and sharp throughout.

THEMER

Themer-banner-featured

Themer is the perfect launcher for anyone who loves to customise their phone. Unlike Aviate, Themer uses the stock android app drawer, along with everything else beyond the home screen. The aim of Themer is to provide a personalisation tool in which one click completely changes your whole homescreen set up. If you’ve ever tried to customise your home screen with custom icons and widgets, then you know that it can be a bit of a nightmare. Themer takes all this away. All you have to do is scroll through the ever growing list of homescreens they have, download the one you want, and apply it. Homescreens that previously would have taken hours to create can be applied in a matter of seconds.

aviatethemere1

As you can see from the images, the homescreens are widely varying, but all look very good and perform well. Each icon can be assigned to different apps, whilst you can also choose to edit the theme yourself should you decide you dislike certain aspects of it.

aviatethemer3

aviatethemer2

At the moment, there are only around 70 themes available to select, although this increasing with every passing day. Themer may not be for everyone as it is a big step away from the appearance of stock android, although the ability to select and download different looks so simply will definitely appeal to many who want to customize their handset with minimal fuss.

Regards,
Sanket Shah

Pratit Desai

Oct 25, 2013, 11:51:21 AM10/25/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
I tried themer today for the 1st time. After a lot of trial and error, none of the theme were such which matched my style.. So later removed it..

Sanket Shah

Oct 25, 2013, 1:43:40 PM10/25/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
Ya Themer Will work great if it allows Building own Homescreen Easily Rather than Selecting Other's Already build...Still in beta so Hoping for improvement

-Sanket Shah A.k.A Sourcex

--
╔═════════════════════════╗

   Powered by → http://IAUG.in
   Twitter → @AndroidINForum

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indian-android/3f195f9f-ee95-4088-b916-ef5b86e1b136%40googlegroups.com.

Shreyas Deshmukh

Oct 26, 2013, 1:32:26 AM10/26/13
to Android India
My personal favorite is Aviate itself! Crisp, fast & easy to use!

Warm Regards,

Shreyas Deshmukh