[News][OT][Smart-watch]Neptune Pine- Smartwatch with a sim

Sanket Shah

Nov 19, 2013, 1:34:03 AM11/19/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com

Introducing Pine

Smartwatches have been a topic of much interest lately. However, most of the wrist-worn devices on the market right now don't really seem to be living up to the hype. They're usually sold as Bluetooth-tethered accessories for your smartphone; either for fitness tracking or as a sort of notification center. But then you’d have to buy and carry around two devices all the time, which actually means more hassle. That’s not cool. That’s not fun.

That’s why we decided to develop our own smartwatch: the Neptune Pine, the most connected independent smartwatch.

The Pine is the only device you'll ever need. It's really the top of the food chain when it comes to smartwatches, packing more features than any wrist-worn device out there, without the need to keep your smartphone nearby. This is the smartwatch, reinvented.

Here we go with the most compelling list of features for a smartwatch you'll ever see. This is history in the making.

VOICE CALLS + SMS TEXTING

The Pine allows you to make and receive phone calls, and send SMS text messages on most mobile carriers worldwide thanks to its full standalone support for quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and quad-band UMTS/HSPA+/WCDMA.

Typing on the Pine is as easy as typing on a regular smartphone.
Typing on the Pine is as easy as typing on a regular smartphone.

FULL QWERTY KEYBOARD

When we looked at existing smartwatches, we all asked the following question: “How can I possibly type on this tiny screen?” That’s why the Pine sports a 2.4” capacitive touch display, enough to comfortably display a full QWERTY keyboard. This makes typing on the Pine as easy as typing on a regular smartphone.

COMPLETE WEB EXPERIENCE

With 3G and Wi-Fi, you can conveniently browse your favorite websites, view and post on your social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, send and receive e-mail, watch YouTube videos, check the local weather and much more; it’s the complete wearable web experience on your wrist!

Various fitness apps like RunKeeper (shown here) are fully supported on the Pine smartwatch.
Various fitness apps like RunKeeper (shown here) are fully supported on the Pine smartwatch.

A FITNESS LAB, ON YOUR WRIST

You can’t improve what you can’t measure. The Pine can measure it all. With the built-in GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, pedometer and digital compass; the Pine tracks your steps, pace, speed, time, laps, location and calories burned with extreme precision. Various fitness apps such as RunKeeper are fully supported on the Pine. And with a built-in Bluetooth 4.0 transceiver, you can pair the Pine with a large array of existing fitness tracking devices.

Back of a Pine prototype, with the 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and its LED flash visible.
Back of a Pine prototype, with the 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and its LED flash visible.

DUAL CAMERAS + DUAL FLASH

VGA front-facing camera. With flash.

Share your smile via the front-facing VGA camera in a video chat on the 2.4-inch display. The Pine supports all of the existing video-chatting services on Android such as Skype, Fring and Tango.

And there's a front-facing LED as well (a first!), acting as an always-ready flashlight, the occasional heart-rate monitor, and, of course, illumination for your video chats in dim lighting.

Rear-facing 5-megapixel camera. With flash

Release your Pine from the watchband and shoot crisp, still images, and high-definition video fast using the 5-megapixel camera. In any lighting too, with the integrated LED flash.

VOICE RECOGNITION

With Android's powerful voice input engine, you can conveniently enter text by speaking directly to your Pine. And with Voice Actions, you can perform various tasks through voice such as setting appointments, calling a contact, or playing a song.

ANDROID JELLY BEAN

A great product needs to run great software. That's why the Neptune Pine runs on the world's most advanced mobile OS: Android Jelly Bean. And we're not kidding around with a limited version of Android; it's the full Android that you see on smartphones and tablets!

We wanted to create an exceptional product that could leverage the large number of mobile apps that already run well on the Android platform. Since our screen resolution is a standard resolution listed in the Android SDK, the Pine will seamlessly run hundreds of thousands of existing apps.

If you're a developer, you can create apps on the Pine with all the developer tools you already know and love, without compromise.

Apps with limited functionality are now a thing of the past for smartwatches.

DUAL-CORE ON YOUR WRIST

We know it sounds incredible, but it's true: the Pine boasts a powerful 1.2Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor, more than enough speed and power to easily switch between multiple apps and run 3D visuals in graphics-intensive Android apps and games.

Concept drawing of the Neptune Helmet Mount.
Concept drawing of the Neptune Helmet Mount.

EASILY REMOVABLE + ACCESSORIES + STRAP DESIGNS

The Pine is very easily removable from its wristband, even when it's being worn. This opens up a vast amount of possibilities for various accessories, mounts and strap designs. For instance, you can attach the Pine to the Neptune Helmet Mount, and it becomes a wearable, point-of-view (POV) camera, shooting in crystal clear, 720p video.

Prototypes of the Neptune Clip and the Helmet Mount.
Prototypes of the Neptune Clip and the Helmet Mount.

ENTERTAINMENT, ALWAYS ON HAND. LITERALLY.

With up to 32GB of storage, the Pine easily stores thousands of songs, on your wrist. Enjoy the movies and TV shows you love; just plug your headphones into the 3.5 mm headphone jack and sit back to watch the Pine's sharp 2.4-inch screen.

SUPERB BATTERY LIFE

Smartwatches need to have decent battery life. That's why we heavily optimized the power consumption on the Pine so that it comfortably lasts up to 5 days on standby, 10 hours playing music, 8 hours talk time, and 7 hours browsing on the Internet.

Talk time is based on using 2G networks. Browsing is based on using Wi-Fi.
Talk time is based on using 2G networks. Browsing is based on using Wi-Fi.

Technical Specifications

  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.2Ghz Dual-Core Processor
  • 2.4 inch TFT capacitive touchscreen
  • 320 x 240 QVGA resolution
  • Cellular Networks:
    - 2G: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1700, 1900
    - 3G: UMTS/HSPA+/WCDMA 850, 1700, 1900, 2100
  • 16GB or 32GB mass storage
  • Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
  • Support for 48 languages
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Built-in GPS receiver, with Assisted GPS
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Micro-SIM card slot
  • Accelerometer, 3-axis Gyroscope, Digital compass
  • Speaker & Microphone
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Vibration alert
  • 5-megapixel rear-facing camera
  • VGA front-facing camera
  • LED flash (front & rear)
  • Built-in rechargeable 810 mAh lithium polymer battery:
    - Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 2G, 6 hours on 3G
    - Multimedia: Up to 10 hours music, 5 hours video
    - Internet use: Up to 7 hours on Wi-Fi
    - Standby: Up to 120 hours
  • IP67 water-resistant (currently undergoing testing)

Comparison Diagram

Back this: Kickstarter

Regards,
Sanket Shah

Sahil Manchanda

Nov 19, 2013, 1:47:35 AM11/19/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
looks like a powerhouse smartwatch..will cost a bomb

--
╔═════════════════════════╗

Powered by → http://IAUG.in
Twitter → @AndroidINForum

╚═════════════════════════╝
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indian-android/0e00e29e-26e0-45b4-bd86-e230b0ddbdbd%40googlegroups.com.

--
Sahil Manchanda
Sent From Google Nexus 4

Sanket Shah

Nov 19, 2013, 2:21:23 AM11/19/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
For Early Adopters its $199 but the actully is $335

-Sanket Shah A.k.A Sourcex