[App][Review]Top 5 File Managers: Manage your device properly

Sanket Shah

Oct 24, 2013, 3:11:15 AM10/24/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com

Sometimes you happen across a situation where you want to move or delete files on your smartphone or tablet and want to do it without having to connect your device to your PC or go through a tedious process. How easily this can be done, of course, depends on the type of File Manager that you’re using and as such, we present to you below our top 5 apps for Android.

Files
© flickr

ES File Explorer

PROSCONS
 Great search options✕ -
 Elegant design with personalization options
 LAN, FTP, and cloud capabilities
 Management of multiple windows
 Lots of extras

This free file manager is free in more ways than one: it is completely free of any type of advertising. The ES File Explorer comes with a simple yet appealing design that can be individually adjusted. Files and folders are displayed clearly, the user interface is intuitive and easy to navigate. The functions behind the file manager leave very that we wished had been included in this app as it has everything and the kitchen sin: Excellent search functions, cloud connectivity and support for Bluetooth, WiFi and FTP server, and more. Anyone looking for a powerful file manager that costs nothing to try should definitely check out ES File Explorer.

es file explorer bild1
An attractive UI experience in ES File Explorer. / © AndroidPIT

Solid Explorer

PROSCONS
 Quick Start Guide✕ crashes with too many files
 Two independent sites
 Intuitive use via drag & drop on demand
 Indexed Search
 Cloud connection
 Statistics Output
 Root Functions

The paid version of Solid Explorer is a powerful tool with some pretty great features. You can install the trial version of Solid Explorer and are able to unlock the full version app with the Unlocker if you choose to do so. The highly intuitive interface is immediately apparent and comes up with a Quick Start Guide to guide you through the way should you need any helps. Individual settings, cloud connectivity and root functionality are just of a few of the advantages of Solid Explorer. A compelling graphical representation of file and disk space is also available from within the app, allowing you a quick look at what is taking up the memory on your device.

solid explorer screenshot bild3
Statistics of your graphics and content are provided with a visual context. / © AndroidPIT

X-Plore File Manager

PROSCONS
 Efficient operation thanks to two-column view✕ ... which does not support all formats
 Integration of cloud services, Picasa and FTP
 Many small useful features such as preview images
✓  Built-in video player ...

Free of charge and free of advertising, X-Plore File Manager offers a good overall package and has impressive performance. A two-column view allows quick and efficient work and the design provide a generally pleasant user experience. Various cloud services and online albums are integrated within the apps and allows you to view images, videos, and databases while working within. The developers offer full access to the app and offer you a chance to donate to them should you like what you see.

X Plore2
Depending on the content accessed, various functions are avialable. As well, many different cloud services are supported. / © Lonely Cat Games, AndroidPIT

Astro File Manager with Clouds

PROCONS
 High functionality✕ From time to time a bit sluggish
 Customized tablet surface
 Liquid workflow by Swype gestures

Astro File Manager supports all major cloud services and combines a file manager for data both on your device and online.  A convenient user interface with tablet optimization and swiping provides quick access to common functions related to managing, copying, and searching for files and data. Amongst the more advanced features that Astro File Manager has includes the likes of a task killer, Application Manager, and archive functions. One of the main criticisms we had in regards to the Astro File Manager was the speed was a little sluggish from time to time.

Astro2
The overall interface of Astro File Manager with Clouds allows users to work without distraction./ © AndroidPIT

OI File Manager

PROSCONS
 Clear and practical✕ Doesn't read all file fomats.
 Easy access to SD card
 Supply and extract ZIP files

When you’re going through and cleaning house on your device, especially when you may be getting rid of gigabytes worth of data and information, it is important to keep track of what you’re doing. The approach of OI File Manager is simple: a simple design provides a clear and convenient user experience that is intuitive and simple.  Within, you’ll find all the classic staples of a file manager app for your smartphone and tablet. Support for ZIP files and APK installers, sending files via e-mail, and linking to Google Drive are all included within OI File Manager. However, not all file formats can be opened directly from within the application, but it shines in every other aspect.

bild1 oi file manager
Practical: serach via voice command with OI File Manager.  © AndroidPIT

Conclusion

As always, our top five were simply an overview of five of the above average rated apps in the genre and with our picks, we tried to cover a pretty large range when it comes to File Managers. We hope within one of the five presented above, there will be one that will pique your interest and that you’ll give a try. Two more possibilities that are highly rated, but weren’t covered in over overview are File Expert Manager and Root Explorer (we excluded it mainly because it requires root access)

P.S: My Personal favourite which wasn't in this List

[APP][2.0.1+] AntTek Explorer Ex 4.2 Beta

The most beautiful yet, speedy Android File Explorer

We are happy to present the design of AntTek Explorer in which we brings two important improvements: UI & speed. Here are some main features

Features
- Drag and drop anywhere

- Flexible layout customization, including 6 different panels to select: file browser, temporary box, directory tree, etc.,

- Contextual toolbar to easily manage files

- Seamlessly handling local files, remote files (Samba, FTP, Dropbox, etc)

- Build-in viewers, include a cool music player, picture slideshow, zip tools, and dev-level SQL/source code viewer

- Root Access: manage apps and root-permission files

and more...

Download

Google Play: Download ver 4.2

Ver 4.2: AntTekExplorerReborn_XDA_Ver4.2.apk (Oct 10)

Regards,

Sanket Shah

Abhisheak Bansal

Oct 24, 2013, 6:21:13 AM10/24/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
I use both Root Explorer and ES File Explorer together.
ES excels in copying and organizing data and Root explorer is better suited for system root access

Vishal Sheth

Oct 24, 2013, 6:23:26 AM10/24/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
File master is amazing too.

Vishal Sheth
Sent From My  iPhone 5
--
╔═════════════════════════╗

Powered by → http://IAUG.in
Twitter → @AndroidINForum

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indian-android/2106e570-ff96-4710-987e-8d593e604cdb%40googlegroups.com.

Sanket Shah

Oct 24, 2013, 10:39:19 AM10/24/13
to indian-...@googlegroups.com
Try My Personal favorite :Still the app is in Beta though
But has Awesome Design , Smooth (beta version still) ,Inbuilt music Player (better than ES) , Cloud Support and many Option to organize the Folders

-Sanket Shah A.k.A Sourcex