Indexeddb for mobile browsers

Iulia Buga

Jun 5, 2014, 4:17:26 AM6/5/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am trying to implement Indexeddb for a mobile application using AngularJS. Should support Android, Windows phone and iOS of course.

What is your experience with indexeddb and what worked best for you? Did you write if from scratch or used a solution that already existed?

What are my options for mobile browsers implementation?

How did you change the database version? I noticed that if I don't change the database version, the tables do not create.

Many thanks, I really do appreciate your opinion.
Iulia

Deni Spasovski

Jun 5, 2014, 10:09:44 AM6/5/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
I've worked on a IndexedDB solution for desktop browsers working with large data set (100K+ records) on the client side. I wrote the solution from scratch since in 2012 there wasn't a big choice of libraries and since I operated with large data set it was necessary to write custom functions for traversing the database. Details http://stackoverflow.com/a/22369208/366114

I have no experience with mobile, depending on the data set you should test all browsers for limits (less than 10K data shouldn't be a problem for any browser)

Also here is a good sample how to upgrade IndexedDB dynamically http://stackoverflow.com/a/20106136/366114

Iulia Buga

Jun 6, 2014, 6:43:17 AM6/6/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your input and the useful links. I doubt that I will have that much data, more like under 5k, but I did definetely have a look on your links and I will see how I can apply it in my project.

Thanks!

Taylor Buley

Jun 6, 2014, 2:25:53 PM6/6/14
to indexed...@googlegroups.com
Iulia, the AngularJS thing is interesting. I've taken a good long look at this and would love to share my code and thoughts with you.

The deal is that you'll want to create a service, obviously. And to live in the Angular world you'll want to wrap everything in $q, right? That's good and bad, because while IDB is async by design (good) it's not-Promise compliant (bad).

For the last several months I've been rewriting my 2001-era library into a modern IDB option to complement the uses cases provided by other great libraries like Yathit or pouch. Promises is one of those use cases, and I definitely did an Angular example in my prototyping, so I'll try to fish around for something that could give you an idea of this $q-based service thing.

Related, tangentially, you should join myself and others at our first online meetup  http://www.meetup.com/The-Worldwide-Client-Side-Data-Collective/events/187575052/ We'll definitely be talking the common headache that are upgradeneeded callbacks