1st line flush and indenting 2nd line?

katmcg

Apr 15, 2024, 6:25:46 PMApr 15
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What is the trick to leaving 1st line flush and indenting 2nd line?
Affinity Publisher has left indent, right indent & first line indent in paragraph panel as ID. I can’t do a minus first line #.
Kathleen’s

Yanchak, James

Apr 16, 2024, 2:56:00 AMApr 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Why are you asking an Affinity question on the InDesign list?

Information Classification: General

R Evans

Apr 16, 2024, 11:14:31 AMApr 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
InD’s “world” composition has more options. I think Hebrew might have a second line indent.

Are you indenting only the second line? If so, you might have to fake it with a soft return on line 1 then fixed space(es) if the text is justified, or a tab if it’s rag right.

Rebecca

Ann Farr

Apr 16, 2024, 11:22:18 AMApr 16
to InDesignList
There might actually be a Help or Support in Affinity’s website? Or try on Google?
Ann

Sharon Villines

Apr 16, 2024, 12:52:40 PMApr 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
> On Apr 16, 2024, at 11:22 AM, Ann Farr <camill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There might actually be a Help or Support in Affinity’s website? Or try on Google?

For all software, including all of Adobe’s, I’ve found the fastest way to get help is to Google the question. Google seems to be able to not only find anything that exists but to interpret my questions. Discovering that was a godsend. And saves a ton of time.

Dedicated lists like this with experienced subscribers are the very best but they are becoming less active. Younger people seem to prefer forums. (“Younger" meaning anyone under 60.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Reality is something you rise above." Liza Minnelli

David Blatner

Apr 16, 2024, 6:10:25 PMApr 16
to InDesign talk
I think the question isn't about Affinity, but rather just saying "affinity publisher has this feature; how do I do it in InDesign." Is that correct?

If it's just a "hanging indent" you can set a positive left indent and a negative first line indent, as mentioned here:

David Creamer

Apr 16, 2024, 6:40:31 PMApr 16
to InDesign talk
The Left indent has to be a positive number before you can have a negative First Line indent. For example, Left = 0.5; First = -0.5.

David Creamer

Apr 16, 2024, 6:41:36 PMApr 16
to InDesign talk
For InDesign, that is.

David Creamer

Apr 16, 2024, 6:45:57 PMApr 16
to InDesign talk
For Publisher, you indent the Left, then change the First Line as desired. For example, Left = 0.5; the First Line will change to match it, then you can change it to 0 (zero).

katmcg

Apr 16, 2024, 8:55:26 PMApr 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I tried googling and asking on the affinity forum. Finally I found an ID youtube tutorial, took a screenshot then posted it on the forum.
They got the idea and posted an answer.
But I don’t think they have a hanging indent. I do miss ID at times.

Sharon Villines

Apr 17, 2024, 12:29:48 PMApr 17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Under Text > Text Styles > Paragraph > Left Indent > .25” First Line Indent> 0

Posting here so no one gets the idea that Affinity doesn’t have a hanging indent.

Sharon

David Creamer

Apr 17, 2024, 12:34:26 PMApr 17
to InDesign talk
Correct--I posted how to do it yesterday.

Sharon Villines

Apr 17, 2024, 1:21:32 PMApr 17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
> On Apr 17, 2024, at 12:34 PM, David Creamer <creamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Correct--I posted how to do it yesterday.

Sorry, I missed it.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indesign-talk/734452a7-1b91-402c-9b54-7b0c9c9b2c18n%40googlegroups.com.

katmcg

Apr 18, 2024, 2:40:50 PMApr 18
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
No I’m having a lot of trouble doing it i Affinity Publisher.

David Blatner

Apr 18, 2024, 7:21:20 PMApr 18
to InDesign talk
"No I’m having a lot of trouble doing it i Affinity Publisher."

Oh! Well, in that case, I agree with others: please stop asking questions about Affinity Publisher in a group about Adobe InDesign!

They have their own forums here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/