Help please – export idml stuck 57%

Kathleen

Jun 18, 2013, 4:14:41 PM6/18/13
to indesign-talk@googlegroups.com talk
I'm trying to idml an idd cs5.5 & also from cs6. Exporting is getting stuck at 57%. Any clues what's going on and how to fix it. I have the background script, set to off in cs5.5.

Any idea where 57% might be, links or pages?
Or how to start trouble shooting this?

kat

backgroundTask.png

Michael Brady

Jun 18, 2013, 4:41:46 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Often, that is caused by a problem with a font(s) or image(s). Are one or more images linked to an external drive, such as a server? Ditto with the fonts. Does any paragraph or character style, whether used or not, call on a font on a server, or does any bit of text use a font that is on another server?

The only thing I can think of to do is to save the file under a new name, which will clear out the intermediate saved states that accumulate in a file (and are stored internally in it). That might help.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady

Kathleen

Jun 18, 2013, 4:48:25 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I think it may have to do with all these links.

But I'm afraid to just delete all the empty story and or artifacts in the structure. But selecting the link doesn't tell me what it is attached to in the structure.

Note I tried embeding these links, the rest of the links aren't embeded.

Thoughts. Below my image is what David Blatner says.

link_structure.png
xmlImageLink2.png
xmlImageLink3.png

Heather White

Jun 18, 2013, 5:25:41 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

When I get stuck like that, the easiest way to solve is to figure out which page it’s getting stuck on.

Start segmenting the exporting.

If your pub is 20 pages, first export pages 1-10; then 11-20.

If you get stuck in the 1st one, then you know the issue lies between pages 1 and 10.

So now, export 2 more:  1-5 and 6-10, and so on.

Continue doing this until you can determine which page InDD doesn’t like.

Then verify that you’ve identified the correct page by exporting everything else. (say the trouble is page 4. Export 1-3,5-20 and ensure there are no additional hangups).

Then you get to have the fun of:

Copy everything from page 4 to a new document. Try another export. If that works, then there’s a problem in the original, and it’s not one of your links.

If it still hangs up, move everything to the pasteboard and start putting elements back on slowly, making exports along the way to see where the issue lies.

It’s a long process, but being methodical is the best way.

-heather

Disclaimer:
Note: This email may contain confidential information. If you are not named on
the addressee list, please take no action in relation to this email, do not open
any attachment and please contact the sender [details above] immediately.

Kathleen

Jun 18, 2013, 7:25:15 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the only way to segment is to divide the idd first. Exporting to idml doesn't give you a page range. Doe it in cs6?

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Heather White wrote:

> When I get stuck like that, the easiest way to solve is to figure out which page it’s getting stuck on.
>
> Start segmenting the exporting.
>
> If your pub is 20 pages, first export pages 1-10; then 11-20.
>
> If you get stuck in the 1st one, then you know the issue lies between pages 1 and 10.
>
> So now, export 2 more: 1-5 and 6-10, and so on.
>
> Continue doing this until you can determine which page InDD doesn’t like.
>
> Then verify that you’ve identified the correct page by exporting everything else. (say the trouble is page 4. Export 1-3,5-20 and ensure there are no additional hangups).
>
> Then you get to have the fun of:
> Copy everything from page 4 to a new document. Try another export. If that works, then there’s a problem in the original, and it’s not one of your links.
>
> If it still hangs up, move everything to the pasteboard and start putting elements back on slowly, making exports along the way to see where the issue lies.
>
> It’s a long process, but being methodical is the best way.
>
> -heather

Kathleen

Jun 18, 2013, 7:45:09 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You were right, Heather.

I divided the idd into 2. Pgs 1-3 and 40-end pgs. The other 40-end pgs idmled fine. So I started dumping items until Pgs 1-3 idmled.

It was pg 3 text frame with copy and linked anchored objects.

But in the links panel the "links <>" are still there.

Onward!

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Heather White wrote:

> When I get stuck like that, the easiest way to solve is to figure out which page it’s getting stuck on.
>
> Start segmenting the exporting.
>
> If your pub is 20 pages, first export pages 1-10; then 11-20.
>
> If you get stuck in the 1st one, then you know the issue lies between pages 1 and 10.
>
> So now, export 2 more: 1-5 and 6-10, and so on.
>
> Continue doing this until you can determine which page InDD doesn’t like.
>
> Then verify that you’ve identified the correct page by exporting everything else. (say the trouble is page 4. Export 1-3,5-20 and ensure there are no additional hangups).
>
> Then you get to have the fun of:
> Copy everything from page 4 to a new document. Try another export. If that works, then there’s a problem in the original, and it’s not one of your links.
>
> If it still hangs up, move everything to the pasteboard and start putting elements back on slowly, making exports along the way to see where the issue lies.
>
> It’s a long process, but being methodical is the best way.
>
> -heather

Heather White

Jun 18, 2013, 8:03:21 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Oh shoot! I'm sorry; you're right - no page range in CS6 either.

Are you able to successfully export a .pdf of the whole file?

-heather

Kathleen

Jun 18, 2013, 8:35:04 PM6/18/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
The translators had a problem with the idd and wanted an idml. And that's when I discover I couldn't idml the idd. No idea what problem translators had.

But I have an idml now, following your suggestion, Heather, to take the idd apart and just export section.

On page 3 I redid the one text frame with anchored object links and deleted 6 cross references. I typed it the page #s.

Kat
McGraphics Design, Inc.
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us