Trouble with facing pages

Alan Clarke

Apr 16, 2024, 10:54:03 PMApr 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks — I am having trouble with a small InDesign file, 20 pages, 6x9 inches. I have been working in it in single page view but put it in facing pages to see how it balances out. It will not save in Facing Pages view, the save selections are greyed out. If I revert facing pages to single view and then I can save.
I always make multiple saves as..., remembering my PageMaker days, so there’s no trouble here but I wonder if anyone has had difficulty switching back and forth between views?
InDesign 2023 / 18.2.1 / Mac

Alan

Alan F. Clarke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dangerous is the lion’s lair,
even when the lion’s not there!
                           --Caius Marius

R Evans

Apr 17, 2024, 11:26:39 AMApr 17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest rebuilding it from an IDML file.

You could divide your file into halves to see if they both refuse to save as facing pages. If so, it’s probably not a bad page, which I’ve had happen at least twice in very complex files.

Also, you might try turning Allow Pages to Shuffle on if it’s off, or off if it’s on, to see if that makes a difference.

Rebecca

On Apr 16, 2024, at 8:54 PM, 'Alan Clarke' via InDesign talk <indesi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Folks — I am having trouble with a small InDesign file, 20 pages, 6x9 inches. I have been working in it in single page view but put it in facing pages to see how it balances out. It will not save in Facing Pages view, the save selections are greyed out. If I revert facing pages to single view and then I can save.

Sharon Villines

Apr 17, 2024, 12:33:37 PMApr 17
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You may have to save with a new file name. Or make the change in the basic document setup if your view contradicts the document setup. ID might allow you to see the document in various views but is stopping you from allowing that view to overwrite the document setup.

Sharon

David Creamer

Apr 17, 2024, 5:19:35 PMApr 17
to InDesign talk
Are you changing the document type under File > Document Setup...? I would not recommend switching back and forth as a standard workflow.

It sounds to me as if your document already opens in facing pages, hence the Save not being available. When you switch to single pages, it wants to save that change.

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor (1994-2023)