Renumbering unlinked notes...

Michel Raj

Dec 6, 2010, 7:56:42 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have 108 unlinked endnotes in an Indesign document.
The author wants to insert a new note... at the 8th note... so I have to renumber all the followings, because they are not linked.
The callers do have a character style.

At the moment have the choice of
- reimporting the article from Word, as it are there automatic footnotes, and redo layout and in between corrections 5 (6 text pages)
- doing the renumbering... in InDesign manually (no I shall not do that !!! )
- ?

Any idea of how I could do this fast ?

Michel

Michael

Dec 6, 2010, 10:19:18 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michel:

> - doing the renumbering... in InDesign manually (no I shall not do that !!! )

A similar thing happened to me (in a journal article with about 50 FNs and a book chapter with several hundred notes) and the notes were not automatic. Fortunately, they were end notes. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any script that will automatically increment footnote reference numbers or the numbers at the beginning of a paragraph.

Here's what I did:

1. Strip off the FN number, period, and tab from all the endnotes.
2. Apply an automatic paragraph number to all the notes and style the number with the FN character style.
3. Manually renumber the FN superscripts in the main text. That took time. I just went into zen mode and checked every two pages (spreads) that I had not misnumbered them.
4. ALSO, during layouts, I retain the footnote reference character style that was imported with the Word file. I just edit it and change the color to bright red, so I can see the FNs in the text as I turn the pages. That helps a whole lot.

It ain't fun ... but it is billable as an extra charge. Start the meter!

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/
mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/typehuile
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" is now available at
https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

Michel Raj

Dec 6, 2010, 10:31:15 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, it's already a great idea to use the numbered list for the footnotes.
For the numbering in the text, it's a pity I cannot do a search the character style and then replace the result "+1" on the FN numbers in the text...

Thanks anyway !
Michel

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Amy Rothstein

Dec 6, 2010, 10:33:02 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Can't you do that with some sort of GREP magic?

On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Michel Raj wrote:

> For the numbering in the text, it's a pity I cannot do a search the character style and then replace the result "+1" on the FN numbers in the text...

----------------------------------
Amy Rothstein
a...@pondproductions.com
----------------------------------

Andrew Brown

Dec 6, 2010, 10:33:48 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 6 Dec 2010, at 16:31, Michel Raj wrote:

> For the numbering in the text, it's a pity I cannot do a search the
> character style and then replace the result "+1" on the FN numbers
> in the text...

There has to be a script out there somewhere to do this...

AB

Michel Raj

Dec 6, 2010, 10:35:54 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I can do calculations with grep, but combining with AppleScript or Javascript it should be possible...

Roy McCoy

Dec 6, 2010, 10:40:38 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michael wrote:

> Unfortunately, I am not aware of any script that will automatically increment footnote reference numbers or the numbers at the beginning of a paragraph.

I'm sure it can be scripted, though. Here's what I had in PageMaker:

*****
dialogbegin -171, -69, 171, 69, "Set Search/Replace Range"
pushbutton 220, 100, 320, 120, "OK"
pushbutton 145, 100, 205, 120, "Cancel"
static 15, 15, 325, 55, "Enter 0 for selected text, 1 for current story, or 2 for all stories:"
edit 15, 60, 325, 75, ""
dialogend >> myarbutton, ..., ..., ..., x
if myarbutton = "Cancel"
return
else
switch x
caseof "0"
set 0 => y
break
caseof "1"
set 1 => y
break
caseof "2"
set 2 => y
break
default
message "You have not entered a search range."
return
endswitch

try editstory
minisave
FindParaAttr "Any", -3, -3
FindTypeAttr1 "Any", -3, -3, -3, -3, -3
ChangeTypeAttr1 "Any", -3, -3, -3, -3, -3
ChangeParaAttr "Any", -3, -3
loop i = 10,34
try Change "^p^t^?^?^t", "^p^t" + quote(i-1) + "^t"
endloop
try editlayout
*****

A little cludgy (set only for two digits here, for example), but it worked. The loop i = [begin],[end] line needed to be modified before running it.

Roy

Michael

Dec 6, 2010, 10:43:46 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Michel Raj wrote:

> combining with AppleScript or Javascript

That's Klingon, with a little bit of Vulcan, right?

Michel Raj

Dec 6, 2010, 10:48:43 AM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
maH laH jatlh vaj

Michel Raj

Dec 6, 2010, 12:40:09 PM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
This is Vulcan to me ;-)

Roy McCoy

Dec 6, 2010, 1:50:51 PM12/6/10
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michel wrote:

> This is Vulcan to me ;-)

To me too actually, and I wasn't about to parse it.
You can see what it is essentially doing, however.
It resets the find and change attributes:

>> FindParaAttr "Any", -3, -3
>> FindTypeAttr1 "Any", -3, -3, -3, -3, -3
>> ChangeTypeAttr1 "Any", -3, -3, -3, -3, -3
>> ChangeParaAttr "Any", -3, -3

It sets the range of the numbers to be changed (in this case
decremented - they were endnotes here, I think):

>> loop i = 10,34

It goes through this loop, finding the two digits (actually
any characters, but here they were always digits) with the
preceding and following tabs marking the notes in this case:

>> try Change "^p^t^?^?^t",

And it changes the found two-digit number to one less
("quote" converting the number i-1 into placeable text):

>> "^p^t" + quote(i-1) + "^t"
>> endloop

Nothing particularly other-worldly about that, is there?

Roy