PDF 9.0 driver

Carol F Majors

Oct 30, 2012, 10:56:31 AM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Yoboy, Ive done it now. I was having printer conflict issues so I cleaned out my printers in my system prefs. Now I have lost my Adobe PDF 9 driver. Mountain Lion, CS6, ACR X. All installed from downloads. Any hints how I can restore this?

Thanks.

Careless Carol

Bevi | PubCom

Oct 30, 2012, 12:47:56 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Reinstall your version of Acrobat. Printer driver gets installed with it.
You might have to first UNinstall Acrobat, reboot your system, and then
install Acrobat to force the drivers to be installed.
--Bevi Chagnon

Peter Truskier

Oct 30, 2012, 1:15:23 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Before you re-install, you might try using "Help > Repair Acrobat Installation…" in the Acrobat Professional menu. I think that this will repair/re-install the printer, though I may be mis-remembering…

--
Peter Truskier
Premedia Systems, Inc.

Bret Perry

Oct 30, 2012, 1:29:41 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
But with Acrobat X installed, you would get the X driver
If you want the Acrobat 9 driver, copy it from a backup (if you have one)
to the "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/" folder.

On 10/30/12 10:15 AM, "Peter Truskier" <ptl...@premediasystems.com> wrote:

>Before you re-install, you might try using "Help > Repair Acrobat
>InstallationŠ" in the Acrobat Professional menu. I think that this will
>repair/re-install the printer, though I may be mis-rememberingŠ
Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist
ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 866-682-8852.

Peter Truskier

Oct 30, 2012, 1:48:11 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Oops. I missed the different versions bit. Sorry…

--
Peter Truskier
Premedia Systems, Inc.

C F Majors

Oct 30, 2012, 1:49:54 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I am doing all of the above as well as a rebuilding my library from
time machine. One of these is going to get it! I used ACR 9 to do the
repair, and I have restored the PPD folder in the library. If this
restart does not get things back, I will reinstall, now that I have
found that download in my archives.

Thank you kindly!!
Carol
Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Carol F Majors

Oct 30, 2012, 3:43:24 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Just can't get if back onboard. I was readying a paper at adobe that makes it sound like that aspect had been changed after 10.6. But I'm still not able to get it to work following their instructions or by reinstalling acrobat.

If I try time machine again, what should I restore to earlier?

Sent from my iPhone
919-559-1886

Carol F Majors

Oct 30, 2012, 3:55:42 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Here's the best answer I find.

I could use time machine since it was just this morning that I reset my printer queues. I did that with the whole library and got many drivers back, but they just don't connect to the printer one anymore. And I've not been able to find my presets. Maybe I need to take all my cs6 installations backwards?

"How Can I Still Create PostScript Files with Acrobat's Adobe PDF from InDesign in Snow Leopard?"

With Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard," Apple introduced an entirely new architecture for print drivers. The new system is designed to provide greater reliability and timeliness in printer support by taking much of it out of the hands of printer manufacturers that, frankly, have never been great at supporting the Mac platform.

With such a major change, though, there were bound to be casualties, and one was Acrobat's Adobe PDF print driver. It simply stopped working. In response, later versions of Acrobat Pro 9 have entirely removed the driver and its associated PostScript Printer Description (PPD) file from Snow Leopard systems. In its place, Acrobat leaves a new "Save as Adobe PDF" item on the PDF menu of the OS X print dialog. And of course, we can still export direct to PDF from within Adobe CS applications like InDesign and Illustrator.

That's all well and good for general use, but it doesn't satisfy every case. For instance, Lightning Source, the POD printer I use for my books, wants my book cover files to be run through Acrobat Distiller, which means first creating PostScript files from InDesign. But without the PPD for Adobe PDF, I have no way to create PostScript for oversize pages like book covers. It should work to choose "Device Independent" instead, but it doesn't. (I've written more about this specific problem on myPublishing Blog.) Users of InDesign's Print Booklet feature have likewise found themselves up a creek.

Fortunately, there are ways to recover Adobe PDF's PPD and make it permanently available to CS apps. Here's the procedure for CS4.

1. Find a copy of ADPDF9.PPD, the PPD file that the latest Acrobat Pro 9 versions remove. You might find it on a backup of your computer at Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources > en.lproj. (That's starting from the root of your system, not from your user directory.) You can also get it from the Acrobat Pro 9 app itself if you choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu and then go to Contents > MacOS > SelfHealFiles > AdobePDFPrinter > PPDs > Contents > Resources > en.lproj. You might also locate a copy for download from the Web.

2. Place this file in Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources. (Again, that's starting from the root of your system.) Do NOT place it in the folder en.lproj. Though that will work too, it will move the file farther down on menus, making it harder to find.

3. Rename the file so that Acrobat won't be able to find and remove it again. I suggest something like "Adobe PDF 9.ppd". (That, again, will keep the file high on menus.)

For CS4, that's all you have to do. Now, when you go to print from InDesign and choose "PostScript File" as your printer, you'll be able to choose "Adobe PDF 9.0" from the PPD menu. (You'll see a menu item by that name regardless of what you named the PPD file.)

With CS5, things are a little trickier. InDesign's menu does not show anything from the Mac OS PPD folder unless it's a PPD in a current print queue.

One possible solution for InDesign is to add the PPD file directly to the app's support files. Go to Applications > Adobe InDesign CS5 > Presets. Create a new folder named "PPDs" (case sensitive). Then place your PPD file in this folder. You don't even have to rename it.

The trouble with this method is that you'll have to repeat it if you ever reinstall the program or install a major upgrade. And by then, of course, who knows if you'll be able to find these instructions. So, a better method is to set up the PPD file in a new print queue -- a dummy print queue -- where InDesign can find it. Here's how.

1. Start by following the same procedure as for CS4, locating, installing, and renaming the PPD file.

2. Go to the Print & Fax pane in System Preferences and click on the plus sign to add a printer.

3. Select ANY connected printer from the dialog. Then for "Name," change what's shown to "Adobe PDF" or whatever else you like. From the "Print Using" menu, select "Other," and then choose the PPD file you installed. When you click "Add," you'll get a warning about installing a queue for a printer that already has one. Take a deep breath and click "Continue."

You will now have a print queue with the desired PPD associated with it, in addition to your original queue for that printer. You will not be able to create PDF files with this new queue, but youwill be able to access the PPD from InDesign CS5. And that will enable you to create PDFs with pages of any size.

-- Aaron Shepard

Bret Perry

Oct 30, 2012, 4:19:06 PM10/30/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Are none of these working for you?

To make a Postscript file, in InDesign you should have a "Postscript (R)
File" choice under "Printers" IN the print dialog. (not Adobe PDF 9
anymore)
You would then change any settings you want to change in Distiller to
create the PDF. There are no Acrobat options available AFAIK for settings
BEFORE you make the .ps file.

To make a Postscript file, in most other apps, you should have a "Save was
Postscript..." using the "PDF" button at the bottom of the print dialog.

If you were hoping that the Acrobat 9 driver would let you print to
Acrobat PDF from *InDesign*, in 10.6 or higher, nope -- must now print to
a postscript file and distill.
Print or Save to Acrobat PDF from print dialog no longer functions in
InDesign.
But using the "PDF" button at the bottom of the print dialog, choosing
"Save as Postscript..." should work (or the Postscript (R) File under Printers
in ID).

AFAIK, it is NOT a good idea to have Acrobat 9 AND Acrobat X or XI (or
their drivers) both installed.

If it is another app and you want to print to PDF, it is also now using
the "PDF" button at the bottom of the print dialog, choose "Save as Adobe
PDF" (with Acrobat X installed)

If none of these work in ID, I would uninstall Acrobat 9 and/or X and
re-install Acrobat X.
If you have Acrobat XI (the newest) -- dunno, I don't have that yet.

On 10/30/12 12:43 PM, "Carol F Majors" <cfma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Just can't get if back onboard. I was readying a paper at adobe that
>makes it sound like that aspect had been changed after 10.6. But I'm
>still not able to get it to work following their instructions or by
>reinstalling acrobat.
>
>If I try time machine again, what should I restore to earlier?
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>919-559-1886
>
>On Oct 30, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Peter Truskier <ptl...@premediasystems.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Oops. I missed the different versions bit. Sorry...

Evans, Rebecca

Oct 31, 2012, 9:19:30 AM10/31/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I did an oversize-page test, printing to postscript and then distilling.
When I selected "device independent" the resulting page was too small (US
standard 8.5"x11"). When I selected one of our in-house printers as the
PPD, it did size the pages properly. I then defined my own page size of
9"x12" and tried printing to postscript, device independent, but as soon
as you choose device independent, you no longer have access to any page
sizing selections. Device independent used to work properly, sizing the
postscript page to the file's page size. Back in the day, I had a whole
slew of printer drivers for high-res postscript RIPs found at printshops.
I don't know how the printer PPD selection affects the postscript file's
resolution, type handling, and so on, and would be reluctant to trust that
a PPD for a laser printer would provide the proper result.

Rebecca

Carol F Majors

Oct 31, 2012, 9:30:06 AM10/31/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm really missing my original setup as it was the key to just this kind of flexibility between all my programs. I've got little tricks setup all over my machine. I was trying to remove some extra print drivers in system prefs when I pushed the wrong button.

If I can just figure out what all I need to restore from Time machine to get it back, I will be much much happier.

I thought the main library was enough, but maybe I need the user library too.

Thomas Olbrich

Oct 31, 2012, 2:07:44 PM10/31/12
to InDesign Talk - Google
osx 10.7.5, CS4:
Individual InDesign PDF export settings are stored in users library at
User ... /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Adobe\ PDF/Settings/.

- thomas

Bret Perry

Oct 31, 2012, 2:20:33 PM10/31/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Wow. They keep making it harder for graphics pros...

If you are now successful at making a .ps file (except for paper size), I
think all you should need is the old PPD (or a new imagesetter PPD).
If you can't find that in your backups
"/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/" (for
English-speaking users), then maybe download, Adobe seems to have high-end
PPDs:

Here are Agfa's:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=339&fileID=339

Dov Isaacs

Oct 31, 2012, 7:51:37 PM10/31/12

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:19:36 AM UTC-7, Rebecca wrote:
[...]

This is exactly one of many reasons why we at Adobe strongly recommend against creation of PDF from InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop by distillation of PostScript as opposed to direct export of PDF from InDesign or saving PDF directly from Illustrator and Photoshop.

Yes, we understand that there are highly uninformed practitioners in printing and prepress who cling to obsolete workflows based on either problems experienced by early adopters of InDesign twelve years ago, many of whom were working with faulty workflow software and RIPs at the time. Every time I've discussed such restrictions with print service providers requiring PDF via distillation of PostScript, I've never been able to get a rational response in terms of why they actually have such a restriction and when further challenged, they agree to accept exported PDF and have no problems with it.

            - Dov

Evans, Rebecca

Nov 1, 2012, 8:51:46 AM11/1/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dov. All our in-house pdfs are exported through InDesign's File/Adobe PDF preset function.

The only problem I've discovered in InDesign CS6 is that it will not properly export a slug positioned on the outside edges of facing pages (for typecodes and specs). ID CS5 pdf-ed these side slugs correctly. ID CS6 adds the same slug width on both the outside, where I want it, and the inside where I don't want it because that includes a strip of the facing page.

I tried changing the slug to a bleed instead but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Rebecca

Evans, Rebecca

Nov 1, 2012, 11:36:55 AM11/1/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Clearly I need more coffee. Let me reverse that:

-- InDesign CS5 prints correctly but PDFs incorrectly, including only the outside slug of recto pages in a design that uses facing pages. It prints outside slugs on verso and recto pages but only includes the outside slug of recto pages in a pdf.

-- InDesign CS6 PDFs correctly but prints incorrectly, adding the width of the outside slug to the inside where you don't want it, thereby showing a strip of the facing page. You get both outside slugs but you also get the same width to the inside of both verso and recto pages.

I'll add to this that my boss has to go into the headers and footers settings of a pdf and set them all to zero in order to print any slug or bleed area included in a pdf exported from InDesign CS6.

Rebecca

Hazel Hipkins

Nov 2, 2012, 11:33:49 PM11/2/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response, Mr. Isaacs. I do preflight in a digital environment, and sometimes find it difficult to persuade designers to let go of old habits. (It would be extremely undiplomatic to suggest that these clients are "highly uninformed practitioners", although they quite often are).
I would like to be able to guide them towards best practice, but cannot make the time to do the necessary research. My main challenge has been (trying to) help designers transition from press to digital, and I must say that I understand their concerns. Would you be able to direct me towards good information about what has changed? We (print company) are using Windows 7, CS6, & Mac OS 5.8, CS 5.5. Mac upgrade "imminent", going on 6 months.

the Entirely OT bit: dov isaacs
I think you have a lovely name, but I'm still scratching my head...
Is dov an abbreviation? An acronym? Short for Dove?

TIA for any crumbs,
Hh

On 2012-10-31, at 5:50 PM, Dov Isaacs wrote:

[...]

I am working from home.
Please reply to
hhip...@datagroup.ca