Quick convert an anchored box to unanchored

Pat Bensky

Jan 5, 2011, 10:06:15 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Is there a quick way to convert an anchored text or picture box to unanchored? Other than cutting it out and pasting it back in (which is too many steps and loses its current position).

Pat

CatBase - The Database Publishing Solution
tel: +44 (0) 1462 454522
fax: +44 (0) 1462 454566
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky
Find great gift ideas at GiftGofers.com!

Michael

Jan 5, 2011, 10:12:37 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Pat Bensky wrote:

> Is there a quick way to convert an anchored text or picture box to unanchored? Other than cutting it out and pasting it back in (which is too many steps and loses its current position).

Nope.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/
mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/typehuile
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" is now available at
https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

James Yanchak

Jan 5, 2011, 10:19:35 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Right-click and choose Anchored-Object>>Release.

James

Pat Bensky

Jan 5, 2011, 10:26:17 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Well right-clicking (actually ctrl-clicking, as I am on a Mac) was the most obvious and first thing I tried ... but I don't see that option. I'm using CS5, Mac. Have you got some plugin or something installed which adds that option?

Pat

--
you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

James Yanchak

Jan 5, 2011, 10:31:54 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Nope, on CS4 Mac here. It seems the anchored object must be “Custom” for the release to work.

Pat Bensky

Jan 5, 2011, 10:41:35 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
You're right - thanks James!

Pat

--
you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Rai Land

Jan 5, 2011, 10:51:08 AM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Release an anchored object

If you no longer want an object to move relative to its associated text, you can release it to remove its anchor.

 Select the anchored object with a selection tool, and choose Object > Anchored Object > Release.

The object’s position on the page doesn’t move.

Note: Release doesn’t work for inline or above line objects. If you can’t use Release, select the anchored object and then cut and paste it. You can also use the Type tool to select and cut the anchored object.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c43a.html

If you are unable to release and object and have to copy paste, take note of the objects X & Y coordinates so you can put it back in it's exact place without to much effort (though it is an extra step).

Michel Raj

Jan 5, 2011, 2:34:26 PM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if this state "anchored/released is scriptable ?
I need to remove  or "release" all "custom anchored" objects from long documents.
At the moment I use the search replace on ~a (anchored objects in grep), but this also removes the not custom ones (inline ones), and Id' prefer to keep them.

TIA
Michel

Dave Saunders

Jan 5, 2011, 3:02:49 PM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
In JavaScript, assuming that myObj is a reference to your anchored
object:

myObj.anchoredObjectSettings.releaseAnchoredObject();

If your object is inline or set to Above Line, nothing happens when
you execute this: no action and no error. But if it is anchored
(Custom in the UI) then it is released.

Dave

Michel Raj

Jan 5, 2011, 5:45:48 PM1/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dave

I'll see if I can manage to use this in a script to remove only the anchored custom objects of a text selection.

Regards,
Michel

Trien Le Nguyen Thanh

Aug 15, 2017, 8:26:14 AM8/15/17
to InDesign talk

Vào 22:31:54 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 05 tháng 1 năm 2011, James Yanchak đã viết:
Nope, on CS4 Mac here. It seems the anchored object must be “Custom” for the release to work.
Woa, good man, good job , thankyou very much