Page numbering puzzle

Bill Amatneek

May 19, 2023, 3:44:50 PM5/19/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello indesigners all,

I have a page numbering problem I’d appreciate help on with InDesign cc 18.2.1 running macOS Big Sur on an iMac late 2014 desktop.

In a 258-page .indd document, I have a spread, pages 8-9, that precedes the TOC, on pages 10-11.

I delete that spread thru Pages->Delete Spread, but the TOC that follows it still displays its pages as 10-11.
Interestingly, the Pages panel thumbnails DO show the TOC pages as 8 and 9.

I have tried allowing and then disallowing page and/or spreads to shuffle.
I have messed with Pages->Numbering and Section Options, and am met with
"A page number in this section already exists in another section. … Click Cancel and specify a unique section Prefix or different number settings."
I have tried those combinations as well.
I have visited Indesign-Preferences-General and and switched between Section Numbering and Absolute Numbering.

I can easily make things worse, compound the problems, but not solve it.
I must be missing something obvious.
Any solutions to this puzzle?
MTIA.

Hoping all are well.
BR,
Bill Amatneek
Vineyards Press

graydo...@gmail.com

May 19, 2023, 3:56:06 PM5/19/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sound to me like it's removing the "pages" but not the "frames" associated with the pages. Did you check on and look at the Text Threads (View > Extras > Show Text Threads)? That might show something amiss if the frames are still present somewhere.

Best,

Russel Davis
Gray Dog Press
2515 East Sprague Avenue
Spokane, WA 99202
509.534.0372
www.graydogpress.com

David Creamer

May 19, 2023, 7:03:18 PM5/19/23
to InDesign talk
It sounds as if you hard-coded the page number. Change your Numbering and Section Options to automatic.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training

Bill Amatneek

May 20, 2023, 9:29:46 PM5/20/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to Russel Davis and David Creamer for your suggestions, but they have not solved the problem.

BR,
Bill Amatneek
Vineyards Press

It sounds as if you hard-coded the page number. Change your Numbering and
Section Options to automatic.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training

David Creamer

May 21, 2023, 10:18:02 AM5/21/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you can make the file available to look at?

David Creamer

This message is being typed on my phone or dictated to Siri. Please forgive any misspelled or bizarre words.