CS5.5 :: print vs. web .indd :: CMYK vs. RGB :: a bug?

Thomas Olbrich

Sep 14, 2012, 5:43:21 PM9/14/12
to InDesign Talk - Google
I got stuck with InDesign's web documents: every new blanc web doc contains cmyk not rgb swatches only. I assume this is a bug because:

1. A new web doc in a 'virgin' InDesign CS55 installation has all default color swatch set to RGB only, default [Black] included.
(I launched InDesign as a new user on my computer.)

2. As soon I alter InDesign's default swatches pane _ with NO document opened _  by adding a color or, in particular, a tint of [Black], then every further new web document contains cmyk swatches only, unfortunately default [Black] included.

3. If in an InDesign web doc default [Black] is cmyk instead rgb then plain black text appears in an exported rgb pdf as visually flickering, both on screen and print. Acrobat's color check shows such black as a colorful mixture – very different to an exported cmyk pdf of the same web doc as 100% black only.

– Can one please veri-/falsify any of 1.-3.?
– Is there a way to force InDesign to set every swatches color mode from cmyk to rgb, default [Black] included? At least via script (which?)?

Thank you,
- thomas

Roy McCoy

Sep 14, 2012, 6:53:07 PM9/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thomas O. wrote:

[...]

Not me. I've never created or dealt with an ID web doc.

– Is there a way to force InDesign to set every swatches color mode from cmyk to rgb, default [Black] included? At least via script (which?)?

I don't think so. The following converts all nondefault swatches to RGB:

--assumes an open document
tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"
tell document 1
set theList to swatches
repeat with i from length of theList to 1 by -1
set properties of item i of theList to {model:process, space:RGB}
end repeat
end tell
end tell

But it doesn't change the default [Black].

Roy

Thomas Olbrich

Sep 18, 2012, 8:52:35 AM9/18/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com, Roy McCoy
Roy, thanks for the script. – I receive an error in line

 "set properties of item i of theList to {model:process, space:RGB}"

Error number 30487, error (circa; orig. in german):
"On demand to set properties no property was set."

Any hints?
(the indd contains [Black] + tints, some cmyk, some rgb and some gradient swatches.)

- thomas

Thomas Olbrich

Sep 18, 2012, 9:59:43 AM9/18/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Olbrich, Roy McCoy
> I'm afraid not, sorry - other than that you might ask in the applescriptingindesign Yahoo Group, somebody there might be able to help you.

Good idea, just googled an AppleScript line but found this one-liner JavaScript instead and it works ([Black] excluded):

app.activeDocument.colors.everyItem().properties = {space:ColorSpace.RGB}

Also the post partly confirms my experience with a sort of issue/bug with web docs. Though it doesn't mention that once one altered InDesigns default color set (with no doc opened) any further web doc will be in cmyk only, not rgb.

I keep searching …

- thomas

Thomas Olbrich

Sep 19, 2012, 9:22:29 AM9/19/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Okay, at least one confirmed this occurence appearently to be a bug:

- thomas

Von: thomas olbrich <t.ol...@t-online.de>
Antworten an: InDesign - Google Group <indesi...@googlegroups.com>
Datum: Freitag, 14. September 2012 23:43