[ID] Unusual crashing problem

John Kramer Design

Dec 14, 2012, 1:39:34 PM12/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I've been having the occasional ID crash. Nothing unusual there.
The thing that's different from any past CS version crashes is that my defaults
go with it: my preferences, my printer presets, and the arrangement of
my workspace. Weird. Does not seem to be document-specific.

Mac OS 10.7.5  |  iMac 2.66 GHz |  12 GB RAM
CS6 (cloud)
Font Explorer and DTP Annotations plugins

Only one post with similar issue on Adobe forums. Lots of info there on how to save preferences files. DTP has no history of such probs.

TIA.
John Kramer

Brian Pearce

Dec 14, 2012, 1:44:33 PM12/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I don't see InDesign crash all that often, but in my experience, it also takes almost everything, so to speak, with it when it does. That's been my experience with CS6 (probably CS5, as well). As I say, it doesn't happen all that often, so I just kinda grin and bear it.

What's even more odd is that Printer presets seem to vanish *without* a crash. But they're easy enough to reload.

BRIAN PEARCE
Red Jacket Press, LLC
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>

Dave Saunders

Dec 14, 2012, 1:59:26 PM12/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
The thing to bear in mind is that InDesign doesn't save preferences until you quit. I've railed against this since version 1.5, although I gave it up as a lost cause somewhere around CS3.

So, if you rebuild your preferences, settings, and options after a crash, when you're happy with them, quit and relaunch. Otherwise, all that work is in jeopardy.

Dave

Michael Brady

Dec 14, 2012, 2:11:54 PM12/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 14, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Dave Saunders <dsau...@typefi.com> wrote:

> So, if you rebuild your preferences, settings, and options after a crash, when you're happy with them, quit and relaunch. Otherwise, all that work is in jeopardy.

And before you start up again, make a duplicate of the prefs file so that if ID crashes again, you can just delete the prefs and copy that duplicate back to the directory with the ID prefs and you'll be ready to go with all you prefs restored. (Don't forget, when you restore the prefs from the duplicate file, *copy* them so that the duplicate is still available.)

John Kramer Design

Dec 14, 2012, 2:40:03 PM12/14/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, December 14, 2012 1:59:26 PM UTC-5, Dave Saunders wrote:
The thing to bear in mind is that InDesign doesn't save preferences until you quit.

Ah, that could explain the repeated loss of prefs on crash! I tend to leave Indesign open 24/7 unless I shutdown completely. And it's possible I never quit Indesign intentionally since installing CS6!

Thanks, all.

Richard Holstein

Dec 17, 2012, 9:29:41 AM12/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Were these crashes happening when viewing at a high enlargement ratio and you double-click on something?

John Kramer Design

Dec 17, 2012, 10:34:10 AM12/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:29:41 AM UTC-5, Richard wrote:
Were these crashes happening when viewing at a high enlargement ratio and you double-click on something?

Hmmm. Maybe I was viewing at a high enlargement. But in the most recent incident I was using the spacebar-initiated hand tool to move down a page.

Thomas Olbrich

Dec 17, 2012, 6:06:08 PM12/17/12
to InDesign Talk - Google
– Can you open InDesign / work as a different (fresh) user successfully?
– Are your documents stored on a network volume?

- thomas

John Kramer Design

Dec 17, 2012, 6:17:12 PM12/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, December 17, 2012 6:06:08 PM UTC-5, Thomas Olbrich wrote:

– Can you open InDesign / work as a different (fresh) user successfully?

It does not seem to be document related. Document works fine after relaunch. Crashes are very infrequent.

– Are your documents stored on a network volume?

No, but I am using Dropbox.

John

Thomas Olbrich

Dec 17, 2012, 6:39:16 PM12/17/12
to InDesign Talk - Google
Von: John Kramer Design <jake...@gmail.com>
--

Hm, again, sorry, can you open InDesign / work as a different (fresh) user successfully?

What is your console telling about all, system, kernel, indesign around those crash ID moments?

- thomas