Single page pdfs from facing page document

jackie...@me.com

Mar 21, 2013, 11:55:40 AM3/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have a 24 page document built with facing pages, and I need to make single page pdfs that are all in one document. Is there anything special I need to do to accomplish this? It was originally a print document.

In Quark there was a choice of either using facing master pages or single pages that you drag next to each other if you want to work with them as a spread, which is the option I always used as the printer required that. InDesign seems to have just the facing pages or single page option, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for any guidance.

Jackie

William Adams

Mar 21, 2013, 12:03:25 PM3/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 21, 2013, at 11:55 AM, jackie...@me.com wrote:

> I have a 24 page document built with facing pages, and I need to make single page pdfs that are all in one document. Is there anything special I need to do to accomplish this? It was originally a print document.
>
> In Quark there was a choice of either using facing master pages or single pages that you drag next to each other if you want to work with them as a spread, which is the option I always used as the printer required that. InDesign seems to have just the facing pages or single page option, but maybe I'm missing something.

You can split spreads apart by:

- right click on a spread
- deselect ``Allow spread to shuffle''
- click to select the right hand page
- right click on the page and select ``Move Pages...''
- move the page to after itself

Probably there's a script to do that and there're other ways / techniques.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Evans, Rebecca

Mar 21, 2013, 12:19:35 PM3/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what she is asking, but maybe this will help too:

InDesign defaults to creating a pdf made up of individual pages. Only if
you checkmark "spreads" in the opening create-a-pdf dialog box does it
output spreads.

Like Quark, InDesign has both single page or facing page masters. You set
that when you create a file by checkmarking "Facing Pages" in the "New
Document" dialog box. For an existing document, you can go to
File/Document Setup and checkmark "Facing Pages," but that only changes
the document pages, not the masters. If you want facing pages masters in a
file created without them, create a new file with facing pages selected
and then move the new master pages to the old single-page-master document.
(You do that through the pages panel's flyout, selecting "Master pages"
and then "Load master pages"; choosing the name of the new file with
facing-page masters.)

All you would really need to set up in the new file is the correct trim
size. Make sure to give the new facing-page masters unique names so they
don't overwrite your single-page masters. You can adjust the new masters'
margins, guides, background elements, and so on before or after they are
moved to the single-page document. In addition to copy and pasting between
pages or documents, InDesign lets you drag elements to the desktop to
create snippets that can be dragged onto a different InDesign file. When
you create a snippet, InDesign will ask you whether or not you want it
positioned in the exact same place in the new document.

Sorry if this was overkill . . .

Rebecca

Sharon Villines

Mar 21, 2013, 12:25:39 PM3/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 21, 2013, at 12:19 PM, "Evans, Rebecca" <rebecc...@unc.edu> wrote:

> Sorry if this was overkill . . .

Never overkill. For those of us who don't use InDesign everyday and usually only need the basic stuff, all these options and possibilities are hard to remember -- even if we ever learned them.

(Speaking for others because I'm sure there must be a lot of us out there.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Design is the first sign of human intention." William McDonough

Bevi | PubCom

Mar 21, 2013, 12:36:56 PM3/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I think Jackie's asking how to make a PDF with singles pages from a layout
set up with facing pages.

This is controlled in the Export PDF settings:
1. File Export
2. Select Adobe PDF (Print) - not Interactive which can botch up
spreads/single pages
3. Choose the preset settings you want from the top menu, probably Press
Quality.
4. In the General section, make sure that PAGES is selected rather than
SPREADS.
5. (Optional) make any other adjustment to the export conversion settings
through this dialogue.
6. Export/Done/OK.

Because "Pages" is selected in step 4, the single PDF will have individual
pages for each page, not spreads.

- Bevi Chagnon

www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508
Accessibility.
New schedule for classes and workshops coming in 2013.