Custom print page sizes possible?

Brad Walrod

Feb 7, 2011, 7:38:03 PM2/7/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I could really use the capability of creating a custom page size that would show up in the Print dialog. One of the files in a book I'm working on refuses to Export to PDF properly but looks fine when printed/saved as Adobe PDF.

The problem is that, when going through the Print dialog, the crop-marked pages appear floating in a letter-size area, whereas the exported pages hug the crop marks. When I try to create a new Print Preset I can see the word Custom under Page Size, but it's grayed out.

I'm out of ideas (and steam). Any thoughts?

Brad

Michael

Feb 7, 2011, 7:48:13 PM2/7/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:38 PM, Brad Walrod wrote:

> I could really use the capability of creating a custom page size that would show up in the Print dialog. One of the files in a book I'm working on refuses to Export to PDF properly but looks fine when printed/saved as Adobe PDF.

What happens when it refuses to export to PDF?

> The problem is that, when going through the Print dialog, the crop-marked pages appear floating in a letter-size area, whereas the exported pages hug the crop marks. When I try to create a new Print Preset I can see the word Custom under Page Size, but it's grayed out.

What you see in the Print dialog box is the way the publication's page will print on the sheet of paper in the printer.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/
mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/typehuile
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" is now available at
https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

Bret Perry

Feb 7, 2011, 8:08:10 PM2/7/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Don't know if this is what you want to do, but to use a custom page size I a Print Preset, You have to create your custom page size first, before attempting to create a print preset that uses it.

Go to Page Setup (in Print Dialog), then Manage custom sizes, then create you custom size, and then using a page of that size, you can then create the print preset...

Brad

--
you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Brad Walrod

Feb 7, 2011, 9:32:10 PM2/7/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
The weird thing is that none of my already existing custom sizes show up in the drop down Page Size menu. But I did manage to create and choose the custom size in Page Setup within the Print Preset dialog. (I had to define the size as 7.58 x 10.62 inches to get the same size page as Export to PDF gives.)

Thanks for helping me get this file out.

Brad

Brad Walrod

Feb 7, 2011, 9:39:42 PM2/7/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't refuse to export, it refuses to export properly. A handful of pages (incorrectly) have severely skewed type and background shades of gray. It's definitely a case of garbage in, garbage out. But as you know, we sometimes get garbage in.

(Looking at the Properties of the PDF pages I've placed in this ID file I see that it was exported as PS from XPress 7.31 and then presumably Distilled.)

I had another file that would keep reporting "Export of PDF Failed" (as I recall) after looking like the export had completed. Finally got that one to finish by turning off Optimize for Fast Web View.

Brad

Nini Tjäder

Feb 8, 2011, 4:31:17 AM2/8/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
This is an old tip for it <http://www.ninisworld.com/thecorner/tutorials/idcspagesizes.html>
Haven't tested it in current versions of InDesign. Test it and report back if it works in current versions.... ;)

nini ;-)
Nini Tjäder __ ni...@ninisworld.com
http://www.ninisworld.com

Nini Tjäder

Feb 8, 2011, 4:41:05 AM2/8/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
After a bit more checking I see that IDCS5 isn't organized like that. Have no idea where it keeps the custom sizes. It doesn't accept the old definitions for page sizes if you put them into the Presets folder form an older version of ID either but you can create and save custom sizes.

On 8 feb 2011, at 10.31, Nini Tjäder wrote:

> This is an old tip for it <http://www.ninisworld.com/thecorner/tutorials/idcspagesizes.html>
> Haven't tested it in current versions of InDesign. Test it and report back if it works in current versions.... ;)

Harbs

Feb 8, 2011, 6:49:06 AM2/8/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
It might be an issue of the printer driver. If the selected printer doesn't support custom sizes, I think InDesign doesn't give you the option...

Harbs
http://www.in-tools.com
Innovations in Automation

Brad Walrod

Feb 8, 2011, 7:29:16 AM2/8/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that. I had found, opened, and read the New Doc Sizes.txt file last night. But it certainly appears to have more to do with, well, new doc sizes, rather than custom paper sizes in the Print dialog. (I'm still on CS4, btw.)

Brad

Brad Walrod

Feb 8, 2011, 7:32:17 AM2/8/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I only have the one printer driver installed, and I use custom sizes all the time (for different-shaped envelopes, mostly). But Bret got me on the right track . . .

Brad