Proximity hyphenation missing

Andrew Brown

Oct 12, 2012, 3:17:11 AM10/12/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
"Hyphenation breaks may change if you edit the text in this document. The following hyphenation services are not installed on this system - Proximity (French); Proximity (English: UK)"

I'm getting this message when I open existing documents, having just changed computers and have just installed CS5 on the new computer for the first time.

I have found this possible answer on Adobe Community Help :

> He knew right away that it was a problem in my InDesign dictionary (under preferences) and that the French language was missing. So after some deliberation trying to resolve that, he finally suggested that I uninstall the WHOLE CS5 (not just InDesign because it would not solve the problem -- something about the user preferences / linguistics or dictionary -- i can't quite remember the details) and to make sure the "Remove Preferences" option was checked.

Can anyone offer a less radical and less time-wasting solution ?

AB

Sharon Villines

Oct 12, 2012, 8:03:17 AM10/12/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 12, 2012, at 3:17 AM, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:

> Can anyone offer a less radical and less time-wasting solution ?

My geek friend says just remove the preferences. My problem is always how to find them. The new Mac OS have become so layered with libraries that they are hard to find. You can try searching adobe.plist. The programs recreate the files when you reopen them.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca

Nini Tjäder

Oct 12, 2012, 11:11:58 AM10/12/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Which OS? Which version of InDesign? If CS6, then there is no Proximity dictionaries as ID has changed to Hunspell instead. You choose Dictionary in Preferences/ Dictionary where you should also see the path to where it is located and where you can add and delete dictionaries.
nini ;-)
Nini Tjäder __ ni...@ninisworld.com
http://www.ninisworld.com/wordpress

steve harley

Oct 12, 2012, 12:39:42 PM10/12/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:
Can anyone offer a less radical and less time-wasting solution ?

how about using the installer to put a copy of InDesign on another machine, and copying the files in question to the machine with trouble? assuming you can figure out which files you need (and assuming the advice you quote is really what you need)

the dictionaries are not "under preferences", though, they are in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Linguistics… and from there it gets less certain (it is Adobe, not OS X, that litters the disk with a multiplicity of similar but different folders of support files); if you want, i can send a listing of everything under that folder for an InDesign CS5 installation

(also, Nini, the Proximity dictionaries are still included in CS6, so as to avoid reflowing old documents, though Hunspell is the default)

Andrew Brown

Oct 17, 2012, 3:33:44 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 12 oct. 2012, at 14:03, Sharon Villines wrote:

> My geek friend says just remove the preferences. My problem is always how to find them. The new Mac OS have become so layered with libraries that they are hard to find. You can try searching adobe.plist. The programs recreate the files when you reopen them.

There are no files with "adobe.plist" in the name on my computer. The removal of what might perhaps be preferences, at /Users/C18/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 7.0/en_GB/InDesign® Defaults, did not help.

I uninstalled CS5 with the delete preferences activated and a reinstallation seems to have solved the problem.

What is the best way of recording ID preferences in case they decide to go out and corrupt themselves?

AB

Roy McCoy

Oct 17, 2012, 6:03:16 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Andrew wrote:

> What is the best way of recording ID preferences in case they decide to go out and corrupt themselves?

I've always just copied the files, adding the date to their name and leaving them in the same place. If I want to restore them I'll give them their right names, having taken out the active ones with the program closed and generally doing this in a way that makes it possible to reactivate them if it turns out that the prefs weren't the problem (renaming, moving to another folder or to Trash without emptying it).

I recall preferences can be scripted too, but I've never done that.

Roy

Andrew Brown

Oct 17, 2012, 6:22:39 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Roy -- but which files do you copy? I'm CS5 OS X. -- AB

Roy McCoy

Oct 17, 2012, 8:03:15 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Andrew wrote:

> Thanks, Roy -- but which files do you copy? I'm CS5 OS X. -- AB

Beats me, but I think I made a note on this somewhere, hold on...

Ha, I took 18 different screen shots of all the preference panes,
but that's not what we want. Your CS5 InDesign Defaults file is in:

/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 7.0/

Caleb Clauset mentioned cache files here on 12\09\08. For CS5 that would be:

/Users/[username]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 7.0/

I don't know when the cache file should be deleted, though. Maybe someone else
can advise on this - also on whether any of the defaults in the application
Presets folder (Find-Change Queries, Shortcut Sets, etc.) ever get corrupted
to the point of needing to be replaced, and particularly on whether there are
perhaps any other obscure ID preference files anywhere.

Roy

Sharon Villines

Oct 17, 2012, 8:43:16 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 17, 2012, at 3:33 AM, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:

> What is the best way of recording ID preferences in case they decide to go out and corrupt themselves?

I don't know how to find the preferences because they often have obscure names and can be at several levels in the Mac OS. The best way I know to fix them is to use a maintenance program like Drive Genius which I posted yesterday. They fix preferences before you know they are corrupted. I've had very strange performance proplems that were all due to corrupted preferences.

> For Macs, I highly recommend Drive Genius for cleaning the hard drive and fixing such errors. It even warned me last week that my hard drive needed to be repaired -- not the disk but the data on it. I try to remember to run it once a month because it also improves processing speed, but I forget. I fix preferences, permissions, and defrag files. It does a lot of other stuff I don't understand and apparently don't need.
>
> $99 for new single license users. Worth every penny. Apple Genius Bars use it. There must be comething similar if you are on a PC.
>
> http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Roy McCoy

Oct 17, 2012, 9:16:31 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sharon wrote:

> I don't know how to find the preferences because they often have obscure names and can be at several levels in the Mac OS.

I've felt the same way, but this was simplified in the case of InDesign, I think between CS3 and CS4 although prefs folders for the different versions were introduced at the same time. At least that's what it looks like in my message archive.

> The best way I know to fix them is to use a maintenance program like Drive Genius which I posted yesterday. They fix preferences before you know they are corrupted. I've had very strange performance proplems that were all due to corrupted preferences.

I used to run a couple of maintenance programs, religiously even, and I know they're not a bad idea. Being now a year from retirement with an organization that is generally cheap about such things, however, I'm holding off on your recommendation though keeping it in mind. Fortunately there's a 30-day trial of Suitcase Fusion 4 (http://www.extensis.com/suitcase-fusion-4/free-trial/), so I can see whether this clears the problem up before buying it. My Suitcase Fusion 3 was updated for CS 5.5 and Snow Leopard and should still be basically good now for me, but there may well have been bug fixes since that cleared up problems also with older configurations.

Thanks,

Roy

steve harley

Oct 17, 2012, 10:53:37 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Sharon Villines <sha...@sharonvillines.com> wrote:
I don't know how to find the preferences because they often have obscure names and can be at several levels in the Mac OS. The best way I know to fix them is to use a maintenance program like Drive Genius which I posted yesterday. They fix preferences before you know they are corrupted. I've had very strange performance proplems that were all due to corrupted preferences.

Drive Genius is not going to fix a problem with InDesign not finding its hyphenation dictionaries, nor most any problem with preferences for a particular app

Sharon Villines

Oct 17, 2012, 11:38:50 AM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 17, 2012, at 10:53 AM, steve harley <garba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Drive Genius is not going to fix a problem with InDesign not finding its hyphenation dictionaries, nor most any problem with preferences for a particular app

It's amazing what problems are the result of corrupted files and permissions. I get frustrated with my geek friend who almost always says "It sounds like corrupted preferences." But in the last year, he has always been right. I have no idea how they get corrupted.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
"It is harder to be kind than clever. KIndness is a choice and hard. Cleverness is a gift and seductive." Jeff Bezos' Grandfather

steve harley

Oct 17, 2012, 1:22:09 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Sharon Villines <sha...@sharonvillines.com> wrote:

On Oct 17, 2012, at 10:53 AM, steve harley <garba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Drive Genius is not going to fix a problem with InDesign not finding its hyphenation dictionaries, nor most any problem with preferences for a particular app

It's amazing what problems are the result of corrupted files and permissions. I get frustrated with my geek friend who almost always says "It sounds like corrupted preferences." But in the last year, he has always been right. I have no idea how they get corrupted.

Drive Genius is a useful tool, but mostly for emergencies, not for hyper-vigilance; because one typically restarts the computer after running such tools, users often have the perception that the tool solved a problem that was actually solved by the restart

corrupted files and incorrect permissions are two very different things; file corruption could be caused by an application bug, by cosmic ray, or by a failing hard disk, but in general Drive Genius is not going to even detect such corruption, much less repair it; Drive Genius has exactly one option in this area (Verify Preferences) and it is very limited: it can detect plist files with bad XML syntax, which might cause problems for some apps; it can delete (but not "repair") these files for you; this is useful  for InDesign insofar as it uses plist files (which is, very little); all the main preferences, stored in non-plist files, are outside Drive Genius's scope

the main "corruption" which Drive Genius can (sometimes) fix has to do with directory structure — the internal links that keep track of what files are in what folders; this is an important feature, but it has nothing to do with the data inside files

then we come to the fabled "Repair Permissions"; whether this is done by Drive Genius or Apple's utility, it can only fix certain problems with file and folder permissions for applications that use Apple's installer tool (because such installers keep a list of what files are placed where with what permissions); InDesign uses it's own installer tool so it is completely outside the scope of Repair Permissions; there are also common special cases that will seem to be detected and "fixed" again and again when you run Repair Permissions, but which actually mean nothing

steve harley

Oct 17, 2012, 1:45:48 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Roy McCoy <roymc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know when the cache file should be deleted, though. Maybe someone else
can advise on this - also on whether any of the defaults in the application
Presets folder (Find-Change Queries, Shortcut Sets, etc.) ever get corrupted
to the point of needing to be replaced, and particularly on whether there are
perhaps any other obscure ID preference files anywhere.

i would start with a simple Vulcan nerve pinch (cmd-opt-shift-ctrl held at launch) to clear defaults and saved data (you may wish to save a copy before doing so); the caches are named pretty specifically in ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version X.X — just drag the whole folder to the desktop if you want, or  drag specific files out and relaunch to see what they control

there's some good detail in this overview by Anne-Marie Concepcion (which seems pretty up-to-date), or Adobe's somewhat more limited help; Windows details are there too

Sharon Villines

Oct 17, 2012, 2:01:36 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 17, 2012, at 1:22 PM, steve harley <garba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> it can only fix certain problems with file and folder permissions for applications that use Apple's installer tool (because such installers keep a list of what files are placed where with what permissions); InDesign uses it's own installer tool so it is completely outside the scope of Repair Permissions;

Whatever it does or does not do, it fixed the problem with InDesing crashing and having to restart all the time. If it was a problem with something else that was affecting InDesign, it still fixed it.

It does check drives and say it can't repair it. Defrags, and a number of other things.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
"This era doesn't call for better management. It calls for a renaissance of self-direction." Daniel Pink

Roy McCoy

Oct 17, 2012, 5:06:07 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Steve Harley wrote:

i would start with a simple Vulcan nerve pinch (cmd-opt-shift-ctrl
held at launch) to clear defaults and saved data (you may wish to save
a copy before doing so); the caches are named pretty specifically in
~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version X.X — just drag the whole
folder to the desktop if you want, or  drag specific files out and
relaunch to see what they control

there's some good detail in this overview by Anne-Marie Concepcion
(which seems pretty up-to-date), or Adobe's somewhat more limited help;
Windows details are there too

You and Anne-Marie both confirm that the cache folder is the second one.
It occurred to me that I can also get a good backup preferences file
using Time Machine on a Mac, though normally without the certainty that
a certain file is good, which you have when you've made your own copy
in the same folder.

Right now I'm kind of wondering when I might worry about conserving
cache files. The only one I would be particularly worrying about after
reading Anne-Marie's article would be InDesign Recovery, but I now
notice that this folder appears to have disappeared with CS3 or CS4.
So where's the recovery data now, and can anyone say when cache data
should specifically be preserved?

Good and mostly still valid, but apparently for the original CS and the
InDesign SavedData file no longer exists. I don't think it did in CS4
either, though the referenced Mike Witherell file suggests it did.

Thanks,

Roy

steve harley

Oct 17, 2012, 6:55:00 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Roy McCoy <roymc...@gmail.com> wrote:
So where's the recovery data now, and can anyone say when cache data
should specifically be preserved?

for my CS6 there are three files in

~/Library/Caches/Adobe%20InDesign/Version%208.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/

as for what to preserve, everything in Caches should be considered expendable (as long as you delete when the app is not open); as i noted the file names are helpful, and some of them are quite clear, but you may need reference material to be sure

Roy McCoy

Oct 17, 2012, 7:17:45 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Right, and InDesign SavedData is still there too - sorry, Mike.
I didn't have "System files are included" activated in the search
window. Don't get me started on that, yagh.

Thanks,

Roy

Mike Witherell

Oct 17, 2012, 7:50:56 PM10/17/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

<rousing from glaze over> Hi Roy! Odd that the help file links to an old copy of that report on InDesignUserGroups.com whereas I have updated copies on my website! I have little idea what Proximity hyphenation missing is all about. < glaze overtakes again > …. Mike

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

kirby b

Jul 9, 2013, 4:21:57 PM7/9/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Nini - Nailed it!  :)

I helped someone with this today.
We opened Indesign > Preferences  > Dictionaries >  and switched the setting for the language he was using from Proximity >to> Hunspell

Which fixed the  "hyphenation services are not installed on this system" issue.
We didn't have to delete/add anything.

Harbs

Jul 10, 2013, 2:31:01 AM7/10/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I haven't updated this script in a while, but it probably captures all the prefs you really care about:

Harbs
Innovations in Automation

Andrew Brown

Jul 10, 2013, 2:44:28 AM7/10/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I didn't remember saying that... and then I looked at the dates. Is our list set to revisit highlights from the past?

Might the script work in CC?

On a related question, I'd like to keep all ID features (preferences, scripts, swatches, whatever) in sync on two machines on the same network, what is the best way of achieving this?

AB

Nini Tjäder

Jul 10, 2013, 4:28:55 AM7/10/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering too how a post of mine from October last year was what nailed it… (not that I mind).

As for synching prefs… use CC. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes there one of these days.

Harbs

Jul 10, 2013, 6:38:00 AM7/10/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Andrew Brown wrote:

> I didn't remember saying that... and then I looked at the dates. Is our list set to revisit highlights from the past?

He he. I did not notice the dates… ;-)

> Might the script work in CC?

Probably, but not tested.

> On a related question, I'd like to keep all ID features (preferences, scripts, swatches, whatever) in sync on two machines on the same network, what is the best way of achieving this?

You can keep scripts in Dropbox. As far as the rest go, I think the CC sync feature is supposed to help. I have not tested the feature though.