Re: [ID] Digest for indesign-talk@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 2 topics

Michael Dodds

Aug 3, 2023, 5:28:54 PM8/3/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 3, 2023, at 5:09 PM, indesi...@googlegroups.com wrote:

katmcg <kat...@mindspring.com>: Aug 03 07:45AM -0700

Is it possible to attach aMac mini Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU
to my 2013 imac. I happy with my imac but have maxed out with mojave and intel chips.
I’d love to upgrade apps that require M1 chips, don’t want to lose my current apps.

Thanks Kathleen
Ann Farr <camill...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 03:47PM +0100

What an interesting email. That’s exactly what I’ve been wondering for a few months now as I’m in the same sort of situation. Good luck and and I look forward to the outcome.

Ann

R Evans <forsal...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 10:15AM -0600

Me, too. I’d love to be able to have my M2 MacBook and my 2013 Mojave iMac communicate without having to transfer files using iCloud. Would love to use the iMac as an extension of the MacBook screen, too.

Rebecca

On Aug 3, 2023, at 8:47 AM, Ann Farr <camill...@gmail.com> wrote:

What an interesting email. That’s exactly what I’ve been wondering for a few months now as I’m in the same sort of situation. Good luck and and I look forward to the outcome.

Ann

you can network them together over wifi, or through an ethernet hub if you
use that. or you can connect via target disk mode, but that just is for
file transfer (not access to launch apps). i don't think you can network
two macs sharing screens and apps, unless you use a screen sharing app like
Teamviewer.

see this link to use imac as an external monitor--but you can't view any
files that way. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

i often use dropbox (free account is 2gb) to transfer files as well.
judy

On Thursday, August 3, 2023 at 9:15:28 AM UTC-7 R Evans wrote:

R Evans <forsal...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 12:57PM -0600

Target disk mode only works with two older Macs, sadly. I’ll look into Teamviewer, though.

Thanks!
Rebecca

Carl Friedberg <frida...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 03:59PM -0400

I have not tried this myself, so grain of salt...

Google Remote Desktop might do what you want (and it is free)

remotedesktop.google.com

Let me know if you get this to work, Carl

--
Carl's School
R Evans <forsal...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 02:35PM -0600

Remote desktop isn’t really what I’m after, I just want to use the iMac as an external monitor.

Sidecar will let you use an iPad for this, and Universal Control will let you use one keyboard and mouse for both of them, but I need big screens to display documents. I typeset books so need to see both the InDesign document and a pdf of corrections. It’s easy to go back and forth between the two when they are the same size, but when the pdf is displayed smaller, it’s more difficult to track back and forth. The iMac’s screen would perfect because it is the same size/resolution as my current external monitor.

If I ever figure out how to use an old iMac as an external monitor, I’ll let the group know.

Rebecca

Michael Collie <michael...@gmail.com>: Aug 02 03:49PM -0700

It might be easier to simply include all the chapters in a single InDesign
file.

Unless I am working on a 1000+ page dictionary or “encyclopaedia”, this is
my preferred method of producing books.

Cheers,

Michael Collie

On Thursday, 3 August 2023 at 05:59:46 UTC+10 Dick Margulis wrote:

On 8/2/2023 3:16 PM, Dick Margulis wrote:
> [off-list, grasping at straws]

. . . or not, as the case may be. (Sorry.)

--
Dick Margulis Creative Services
3409 Whitney Avenue #15

> Unless I am working on a 1000+ page dictionary or “encyclopaedia”, this is my preferred method of producing books.

> Cheers,

> Michael Collie

It might come to that, Michael but merging 19 chapters into Chapter One document in InDesign? How that would compare to just manually changing the few styles for each chapter? Well I guess we’ll find out. :-) Thanks.
David Creamer <creamer...@gmail.com>: Aug 03 08:31AM -0700

Check the licensing on the fonts first. Many commercial fonts only allow
certain manipulation.

R Evans

Aug 3, 2023, 6:58:25 PM8/3/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, great information, I’m going to investigate Thunderbolt connection.