Resurrecting old document

Alan Clarke

Aug 2, 2023, 2:52:13 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks — I have a 20-(separate) chapter book job from 1998 that apparently I originally did in PageMaker, at some time brought forward on floppies to InDesign CS5 stored to CD, and am now trying to bring it to date. This required starting with an old Mac laptop in which the CD reader still worked, bringing that onto an old 17-inch laptop with CS5 installed, converting and copying from that to the new world and a modern InDesign. After transforming Chapter 1 to modern non-type 1 fonts but keeping the look and feel much the same, I am not having any success copying the new Paragraph Styles from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2 and so on. I have done this often, as we all have, but this time it will not update the new fonts and styles.
Sure, I realize I am fortunate to get it this far with no problems, (testament to Adobe) and I can do this manually each chapter, but this operation has never failed me in the past. Been through every option I can see and am asking if there is anything known about this. If you think it’s too much to ask, fine, I’ll accept that and do it manually. But…
Cheers, Alan

Alan F. Clarke
AptArt Publishing
02818-0027

Roger Weiner

Aug 2, 2023, 3:03:57 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Maybe translate/convert fonts used in TransType to otf fonts. Then change fonts to the otf version in Indesign. Then open in InDesign. That should work.
- Some old URW fonts do not work well converting to otf as character sets are missing.

Roger Weiner
Forte Press Corporation
937 Lido Lane
Foster City, CA 94494

Dick Margulis

Aug 2, 2023, 3:19:30 PM8/2/23
to 'Alan Clarke' via InDesign talk
[off-list, grasping at straws]

You're using "Load styles from" in chapter 2, pointing to chapter 1, right? I mean that's the normal way I think you're alluding to, and I just want to make sure you didn't have a brain fart and try to do it the other direction by mistake.

Does the dialog box come up that lets you point to chapter 1, but the styles just won't load? (Did you remember to select all the styles?)

Are the fonts all in the same folder with the documents (or else generally available on the system)?

Dick Margulis Creative Services
3409 Whitney Avenue #15
Hamden, Connecticut 06518-1959
(203)464-3199 mobile
www.dmargulis.com

Alan Clarke

Aug 2, 2023, 3:31:29 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 2, 2023, at 3:16 PM, Dick Margulis <di...@dmargulis.com> wrote:

You're using "Load styles from" in chapter 2, pointing to chapter 1, right? I mean that's the normal way I think you're alluding to, and I just want to make sure you didn't have a brain fart and try to do it the other direction by mistake.

I have done this so many times that there is no reason to think I would reverse directions. However, I will take another look now that you have brought it up.

Does the dialog box come up that lets you point to chapter 1, but the styles just won't load? (Did you remember to select all the styles?)

Yes, and yes. It points to Chapter 1 to transfer to load/change styles in Chapter 2. All styles are checkmarked.

Are the fonts all in the same folder with the documents (or else generally available on the system)?

All are fonts that I have used for years, ever since I learned we were giving up my precious Type 1s. They are all available, not in the same folder, but as they have always been in more recent work. The mind boggles!
Since I have nothing but time, I will keep playing with it because working one correctly will make the other 18 changes sooo much easier to convert. —AFC

judy hicks

Aug 2, 2023, 3:35:19 PM8/2/23
to InDesign talk
I have two suggestions to try if your way doesn't work.

1. load all chapters into an indb and set chapter one as the master. sync to all subsequent chapters.
2. (potentially more laborious): create a number of paragraphs (can be just one letter/word) and apply each one its own style from your paragraph styles. copy that to each subsequent chapter. (this might be a last resort type of thing.)

judy hicks

Aug 2, 2023, 3:36:43 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

Or couldn’t you load them into an indb and set chapter one as the master?

Alan Clarke

Aug 2, 2023, 3:39:44 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 2, 2023, at 3:03 PM, Roger Weiner <ro...@fortepress.com> wrote:

Maybe translate/convert fonts used in TransType to otf fonts. Then change fonts to the otf version in Indesign. Then open in InDesign. That should work.
- Some old URW fonts do not work well converting to otf as character sets are missing.

Not sure but fairly certain that all fonts selected are the same (otf) and have been used without problems for a long time. I will check which type and source and I might just change the main text font to Times New Roman just to see that the problems are not with other typehouse formats. Thanks. — Alan

Alan Clarke

Aug 2, 2023, 3:52:56 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 2, 2023, at 3:20 PM, judy hicks <plushd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or couldn’t you load them into an indb and set chapter one as the master?

That sounds like a procedure I am not familiar with. I will look into it though.
This was a simple 20 chapter book, all chapters their own InD files, finally converted to PDFs and merged into one document. But this was for storage only. I did not want to lose them through version changes. It was originally published from the PageMaker files, pdfs probably but I do not have them.
I have done this so many times before without problems. The difference here is they were originally PageMaker documents and having undergone so many versions to get here, that might be the problem. I will try converting back to IDML and let the program clean a file. That has gotten me out of jams before. Perhaps there’s something to that. I will inform if any solution makes itself known. Thank you. — Alan

Mike Witherell

Aug 2, 2023, 3:59:18 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestions so far. I was wondering if some of the files are set to read-only; ie some sort of permissions problem?

Dick Margulis

Aug 2, 2023, 3:59:46 PM8/2/23
On 8/2/2023 3:16 PM, Dick Margulis wrote:
> [off-list, grasping at straws]

. . . or not, as the case may be. (Sorry.)

Michael Collie

Aug 2, 2023, 6:49:10 PM8/2/23
to InDesign talk
It might be easier to simply include all the chapters in a single InDesign file.

Unless I am working on a 1000+ page dictionary or “encyclopaedia”, this is my preferred method of producing books.

Cheers,

Michael Collie

Alan Clarke

Aug 2, 2023, 10:54:24 PM8/2/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 2, 2023, at 6:49 PM, Michael Collie <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It might be easier to simply include all the chapters in a single InDesign file.
>
> Unless I am working on a 1000+ page dictionary or “encyclopaedia”, this is my preferred method of producing books.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Collie

It might come to that, Michael but merging 19 chapters into Chapter One document in InDesign? How that would compare to just manually changing the few styles for each chapter? Well I guess we’ll find out. :-) Thanks.

David Creamer

Aug 3, 2023, 11:31:00 AM8/3/23
to InDesign talk
Check the licensing on the fonts first. Many commercial fonts only allow certain manipulation.

Alan Clarke

Aug 4, 2023, 11:06:28 AM8/4/23
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 3, 2023, at 11:31 AM, David Creamer <creamer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Check the licensing on the fonts first. Many commercial fonts only allow certain manipulation.

At first I dismissed the idea because I’ve been using the same fonts for years… but then I thought this was a 1998 document and who knows what I used and what versions they were? So that is a good idea and I will check when I get back into that project. —AFC

Alan F. Clarke
Dark Entry Press
East Greenwich, RI 02818-0027
(Since everyone has a sig, I figure I owe a better reintroduction)