reset Illustrator CS6 preferences?

katmcg

Apr 11, 2016, 12:30:32 PM4/11/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Anybody know the keyboard short cut to reset Illustrator CS6 preferences?
Some of my layers are invisible until I click on 1 then all it shows is the name of the item, e.g., <path>
NOT happening in all my Ai cs6 maps.

Kat

C F Majors

Apr 19, 2016, 1:45:50 PM4/19/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have to google that.

Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Michael Brady

Apr 19, 2016, 1:54:49 PM4/19/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Do you want to reset the prefs or rebuild them? Resetting is easy. From Illustrator help

Reset all preferences to default settings:

Resetting preferences can be helpful if you are having problems with the application.
• Do one of the following:
• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.
• Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

Note: It is safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

katmcg

Apr 19, 2016, 5:31:27 PM4/19/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael,

What is the difference between resetting & rebuilding?
Lots of interesting stuff in Library/Preferences/ I’m on cs6. What should I toss?

1. Adobe/Adobe Illustrator/16.0.0/AppPrefs.xml OR 16.0.04/AppPrefs.xml

2. Library/Preferences/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator/

3. Adobe Illustrator CS6 Library Settings/en_US/FWAIPref – nothing in this folder

4. Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings/en_US/
Adobe Illustrator Prefs
DVADialogPrefs/DVADialogPrefs.xml
Plug-in Cache/plugincache.bin

Kat

Michael Brady

Apr 19, 2016, 5:46:07 PM4/19/16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 5:31 PM, katmcg <kat...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> What is the difference between resetting & rebuilding?

I was actually thinking of ID when I wrote that, and I misremembered it anyway. In the Prefs > General pane, there is a button to “Reset All Warning Dialogs,” which is what I was thinking of.

In ID (and AI, too, but I hardly ever use AI), I set the Defaults to my liking, then drag a copy of the Defaults file to another folder, and then, later, when ID is acting up, I delete the active Defaults file and drag in the copy (actually, a copy of the copy).

Using the key-combo launch sequence resets the Prefs file to the factory defaults. I prefer to just restore my own Prefs by dragging in the copied Defaults file.

Michael Brady