Re: [ID] Digest for indesign-talk@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Michael Collie

Jun 16, 2024, 11:28:31 PMJun 16
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I create a new master page for each spread with full-page images then apply the master pages as required.

Ask your printer how they want you to prepare the final PDF.

Cheers,

Michael Collie

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 at 07:10, <indesi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bill Amatneek <bi...@vineyardspress.com>: Jun 15 07:19PM -0700

Hello all,
I have a number of color photos I have placed across spreads in a 260-page, color interior, 9"x6" book.
I’ve been following this demo’s directions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KS6VNcgS4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KS6VNcgS4>

But it has not met with uniformly great results. The gutter area can look funky; the image does not flow satisfactorily across the gutter in most cases.

Does anyone have a better technique for placing a photo across a spread that they can point to?

MTIA.
BR,
Bill Amatneek
VineyardsPress.com <http://vineyardspress.com/>
David Bergsland <da...@radiqx.com>: Jun 15 10:54PM -0400

As an in-house art director for a large commercial printer for the 1980s, I can say that your real problem is going to be your printer. You are talking about images on different sides of a huge sheet of paper, and maybe even two different sheets of paper. That is incredibly difficult to get lined up.

The only thing we found that worked was to have two copies of the image and put them in the two locations. Other than the center spread (and where is that in a perfect bound book) you are always going to have printing problems. In a perfect bound book both of the images must bleed off the spine side, and be trimmed out.

We solved it by tripling our printing costs for those spreads. That usually solved our problem. We could still make a little money if we had to print it—not much. But mainly the designers backed off at the price. We were the best in town, so they had no where else to go.

David Bergsland

The Skilled Workman <http://bergsland.org/> [biblical studies]
Reality Calling <http://radiqx.com/> [spirit-filled fiction]
Bergsland Design & Hackberry Font Foundry [now a peripheral part of The Skilled Workman]

Twitter <https://twitter.com/davidbergsland>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/radiqxpress>
Pinterest <http://www.pinterest.com/radiqxpress/>