create a colored circle with white text inside?

Kathleen

May 18, 2011, 12:52:29 PM5/18/11
to InDesign talk
Is there a way to create a colored circle with white text inside? These are small # icons pleased as anchored objects. My object is to avoid grouping text and circle, which is the way I've got the circles set up now. In the paste the text inside the circle couldn't be accurately positioned or would overset.
Kat

Michael Brady

May 18, 2011, 12:59:51 PM5/18/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 18, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Is there a way to create a colored circle with white text inside? These are small # icons pleased as anchored objects. My object is to avoid grouping text and circle, which is the way I've got the circles set up now. In the paste the text inside the circle couldn't be accurately positioned or would overset.

Sure. Make a text frame. Change it to a circle. Insert the text cursor and type a number. Center it and change it to white. Now, you'll have to fiddle with the baseline offset to position it vertically as you want. Set up the prototype by using the largest number in your set of circled numbers (1, 2, 3 digits?).

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/ | mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
www.twitter.com/typehuile | www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile | www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" at https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

William Adams

May 18, 2011, 1:07:59 PM5/18/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 18, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Is there a way to create a colored circle with white text inside? These are small # icons pleased as anchored objects. My object is to avoid grouping text and circle, which is the way I've got the circles set up now. In the paste the text inside the circle couldn't be accurately positioned or would overset.

There are fonts which are created for this sort of thing --- also easy to make your own.

An interesting alternative if you're not already using paragraph rules and if you have a set text box width is to use a very short dotted rule and w/ appropriate offsets. Here, place this in a text file and pull it into a text block 45 picas wide:

<ASCII-MAC>
<vsn:6><fset:InDesign-Roman><ctable:=<Black:COLOR:CMYK:Process:0,0,0,1><C\=100 M\=0 Y\=0 K\=0:COLOR:CMYK:Process:1,0,0,0><Paper:COLOR:CMYK:Process:0,0,0,0>>
<dls:\[Default\]=<cas:0><cad:0>>
<dcs:number=<Nextstyle:number><cc:Paper>>
<dps:number-bullet-list=<Nextstyle:number-bullet-list><ptr:12\,Left\,.\,0\,\;><prac:C\=100 M\=0 Y\=0 K\=0><pras:12.000000><prao:-1.750000><prali:-2.750000><prari:530.625000><praon:1><prastype:JapaneseDots><bnlt:Numbered><nmcs:number><nmnum:\^\#\^t>>
<pstyle:number-bullet-list>This is an auto-numbered paragraph w/ circled numbers.

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Michael Brady

May 18, 2011, 2:12:19 PM5/18/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 18, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Michael Brady wrote:

> Sure. Make a text frame. Change it to a circle. Insert the text cursor and type a number. Center it and change it to white. Now, you'll have to fiddle with the baseline offset to position it vertically as you want. Set up the prototype by using the largest number in your set of circled numbers (1, 2, 3 digits?).

By the way, this can be saved as a paragraph style (for the text, i.e., the numbers) and as an object style that incorporates both the paragraph style and the anchored object attributes.

And with the just released ID CS5.5, there is a new feature that allows drag-and-drop positioning of anchored objects, much more user-friendly than cutting, switching to the text cursor, and then inserting.

It's very convenient to use one of those fonts with numbers in circles, but you are limited to the typeface, often not very imaginative. And the "white" part of the number is actually clear, which allows the background color to show through. Using ID frames, you can apply various effects, like gradient fills, bevels, drop shadows, etc., to both the background and to the numbers. And, as I said, these effects can be tucked into object styles.

Kathleen

May 18, 2011, 6:52:45 PM5/18/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Tried the fonts, but client needs a certain "look" not found in fonts.

I like the idea for the rule, but it wouldn't work for triangles (?) as I need solid color circles, triangles and squares and also outline circles triangles and squares.

kat

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Kat
McGraphics Design
(626) 799-2195
http://www.mcgraphics.us

Robert Severn

May 18, 2011, 9:35:15 PM5/18/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
In Illustrator: create the color circle, set the white text, position over the circle, convert text to outlines. Now, you can just group the circle and text and save then place into ID, OR you can instead of grouping, you can use Illy's Pathfinder>Knockout to create a single graphic.

On May 18, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Is there a way to create a colored circle with white text inside? These are small # icons pleased as anchored objects. My object is to avoid grouping text and circle, which is the way I've got the circles set up now. In the paste the text inside the circle couldn't be accurately positioned or would overset.
> Kat
>

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Bob

Robert K Severn
Severn Associates
Marketing Services
rse...@severnet.com

"Let them fail; let everybody fail! I made my fortune when I had nothing to start with, by myself and my own ideas. Let other people do the same thing. If I lose everything in the collapse of our financial structure, I will start in at the beginning and build it up again."
-- Henry Ford

William Adams

May 19, 2011, 7:31:40 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 18, 2011, at 6:52 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> I like the idea for the rule, but it wouldn't work for triangles (?) as I need solid color circles, triangles and squares and also outline circles triangles and squares.

In that case, I'd use a special paragraph w/ just a point of leading, place the shape needed (use a graphic or draw it in InDesign) and shift it down --- then on the following paragraph use the numbered list to place the number.

William

Michael Brady

May 19, 2011, 7:45:33 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 18, 2011, at 6:52 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> I like the idea for the rule, but it wouldn't work for triangles (?) as I need solid color circles, triangles and squares and also outline circles triangles and squares.

Kat

This is very vexing. I was halfway through working out a demo of a number in a circle to meet the problem you described in your first post. I set up the number as a defined list, defined a paragraph style, inserted it as an anchored object, added a few gradient effects (for pizzazz), and saved it as an object style. I was planning to save it as a snippet and send it to you, but what's the point? What a waste of time trying to help, now that you have added triangles and squares to the menagerie.

In the future, please describe your *entire* problem or situation and not reveal additional critical information in dribs and drabs.

Mindy

May 19, 2011, 8:40:05 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I know you said that you didn't want to use fonts, but what about using a font that doesn't have the number embedded and then use paragraph styles and kerning to pull the number over a zapf dingbat. Dingbats have triangles, squares, circles. Unless you need the circle or square to be something fancier than a, well, circle or a square.

Mindy

Robert Severn

May 19, 2011, 9:51:44 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Again -- USE Illustrator! You can drive nails with a wrench, but it's easier with the right tool. You can create any shape you need, add letters, and store the icons in an ID library for use when needed.

Bob

William Adams

May 19, 2011, 11:21:44 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 19, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Robert Severn wrote:

> Again -- USE Illustrator! You can drive nails with a wrench, but it's easier with the right tool. You can create any shape you need, add letters, and store the icons in an ID library for use when needed.

So long as one's workflow allows one the leisure of dragging such things in when they're needed --- the inability to place a graphic as part of a paragraph or character style is a limitation in InDesign when doing intricate work w/ specifically fancy elements --- funny that LaTeX is actually better at such.

William

Michael Brady

May 19, 2011, 11:28:22 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 19, 2011, at 11:21 AM, William Adams wrote:

> So long as one's workflow allows one the leisure of dragging such things in when they're needed --- the inability to place a graphic as part of a paragraph or character style is a limitation in InDesign when doing intricate work w/ specifically fancy elements --- funny that LaTeX is actually better at such.

IDCS5.5 has drag-and-drop inserting of anchored objects. Apply an object style that specifies the Anchored Object's attributes and you're halfway there.

I'm not sure how one could define a graphic as part of a paragraph style. That would be equivalent to using a style to define the letters in the paragraph, wouldn't it?

William Adams

May 19, 2011, 11:37:37 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On May 19, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Michael Brady wrote:

> I'm not sure how one could define a graphic as part of a paragraph style. That would be equivalent to using a style to define the letters in the paragraph, wouldn't it?

It would be something like the Paragraph Rules pane. Except instead of specifying the formatting for the rule, it would allow one to select a graphic to appear at the beginning or end of the paragraph and where the graphic would appear in relation to the text. After would be especially nice for placing end of story dingbats.

I've actually drawn up fonts containing light bulbs (halftoned so as to appear greyscale) &c. for use as icons to mark specific paragraphs which are then called up using the bullets & numbering feature (in a different, proprietary composition system my former employer used).

Michael Brady

May 19, 2011, 11:47:09 AM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 19, 2011, at 11:37 AM, William Adams wrote:

> It would be something like the Paragraph Rules pane. Except instead of specifying the formatting for the rule, it would allow one to select a graphic to appear at the beginning or end of the paragraph and where the graphic would appear in relation to the text. After would be especially nice for placing end of story dingbats.

Sounds similar to making a bulleted list by selecting a graphic rather than a glyph from a font.

Kathleen

May 19, 2011, 12:22:55 PM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Please, please, please send snippet to me.

So often I just don't know what the real issue is until the group gives me feedback.
And when I ask for help I try to keep it as simple as possible.

And years ago no one would have know that anchored objects perfectly with tag structure for accessibility. But that you can't auto tag frames that contained grouped objects.

kat

Kathleen

May 19, 2011, 12:31:40 PM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
William,

I know ID has interesting strokes that can be created from paw prints, also strange and interesting rules. We just finished a dozen , so I have time to play with my numbered circle, triangle, square icons.

Anyone do any accessibility for screen readers in ID, which is what this is actually about, as my anchored icons are currently perfect, but each is grouped text and circle, square, or triangle.

kat

Michael Brady

May 19, 2011, 12:46:19 PM5/19/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 19, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Please, please, please send snippet to me.

I've sent Kat the snippet off-list, but if anyone else is interested in int, I have posted the snipped "Icon_numbers.idms" at

http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/

The snippet contains a frame of greek text with three numbers in circles inserted as anchored objects. The numbers are created by a defined list that is part of the paragraph style. The beauty of this is that as you create new duplicate circles, the numbers increase by one.

The coloring of the circle is made by a gradient and bevel effects and stored in an object style, which also records the anchored objects attributes.

Kathleen

May 21, 2011, 6:50:02 PM5/21/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I opened Michael's circle with numbers inside in CS5.5. But I can't figure out how to select the text. In Story editor no text, but overset.
Very cool, so how'd you make it, Michael.

kat

Michael Brady

May 21, 2011, 7:50:51 PM5/21/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Kat

> I opened Michael's circle with numbers inside in CS5.5. But I can't figure out how to select the text. In Story editor no text, but overset.

Do you have Times New Roman loaded?
If so, select the icon with the black arrow. Look in the Object Styles panel. Does the name Number Icon" have a + after it? If so, hold down the Opt key (Control on a PC, I think) and click on the style name to clear the overrides. Does that work?

> Very cool, so how'd you make it, Michael.

Details at 11:00 ...

Michael Brady

May 21, 2011, 9:12:32 PM5/21/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On May 21, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Very cool, so how'd you make it, Michael.

I've uploded a QT movie called "Making_button.mov" to

I've sent Kat the snippet off-list, but if anyone else is interested in int, I have posted the snipped "Icon_numbers.idms" at

http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/

Caveat: The movie file is 18Mb. Also, there are a few skips and jerky movements. But you get a chance to hear my voice.

Michael Brady

May 21, 2011, 9:36:44 PM5/21/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I forget to edit this message. I left in the paragraph about sending the snippet to Kat. It should read:

I've uploded a QT movie called "Making_button.mov" to

http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/

Robert Severn

May 21, 2011, 11:06:28 PM5/21/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Nice job!

Bob

Robert K Severn
Severn Associates
Marketing Services

If you put the federal government in charge
of the Sahara Desert, in five years there
would be a shortage of sand.
-- Milton Friedman

Kathleen

Jun 1, 2011, 11:36:46 PM6/1/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Good one

Robert Severn

Andrew Brown

Jun 2, 2011, 7:29:28 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I find that over-generous towards your federal government, an
understandable consequence of national pride, I suppose... but any
group of elected representatives here in Europe could achieve the same
result, many of them much faster, and at greater cost. Our history
speaks for itself.

AB

Amy Rothstein

Jun 2, 2011, 7:40:57 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Here's a new way to think about the apparently different views of the "left" and "right" in the current parlance. We actually share a lot more than we think we do.

http://www.nilvsdcbs.com/labels.html

Please note that I have not read the rest of that web site, it could be full of hot air or brilliant ideas. But I very much like the page above. You?

----------------------------------
Amy Rothstein
a...@pondproductions.com
----------------------------------

William Adams

Jun 2, 2011, 7:45:48 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Amy Rothstein wrote:

> Here's a new way to think about the apparently different views of the "left" and "right" in the current parlance. We actually share a lot more than we think we do.
>
> http://www.nilvsdcbs.com/labels.html
>
> Please note that I have not read the rest of that web site, it could be full of hot air or brilliant ideas. But I very much like the page above. You?

I have a hard time w/ the person's inability to spell correctly: ``contridictory'', ``beaurocrat'', ``beurocracy''?

William

Michael Brady

Jun 2, 2011, 8:02:26 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:45 AM, William Adams wrote:

> I have a hard time w/ the person's inability to spell correctly: ``contridictory'', ``beaurocrat'', ``beurocracy''?

Correct spelling? That's so hegemonic and privileged.

<s>

Roy McCoy

Jun 2, 2011, 8:33:17 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I was going to say that I didn't like any page
containing "it's" as a possessive pronoun.
If thats hegimonic and privelidged, to bad.

Roy

Robert Severn

Jun 2, 2011, 8:42:13 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Other than spelling, I have a problem with his equation of government bureaucracy with corporate bureaucracy - the important difference is that the government has guns.

On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:45 AM, William Adams wrote:

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Bob

Robert K Severn
Severn Associates
Marketing Services
rse...@severnet.com

"Make a deal with the devil, and you're the junior partner"
Dick Armey

Michael Brady

Jun 2, 2011, 9:05:09 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 2, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Robert Severn wrote:

> Other than spelling, I have a problem with his equation of government bureaucracy with corporate bureaucracy - the important difference is that the government has guns.

Yes, and criminal process.

Jules Siegel

Jun 2, 2011, 9:15:26 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 6/2/2011 7:42 AM, Robert Severn wrote:
> I have a problem with his equation of government bureaucracy with corporate bureaucracy - the important difference is that the government has guns.

So do corporations. They make them, as well as employing substantial private
armies. The government is only one of their customers. They also own prisons.
The list could go on. But I don't think this list is a place for that kind of
discussion, although I will add one thought: how would you be having it, if it
weren't for the Department of Defense? Yep, the government certainly created a
shortage of Internet communication when it invented the basis of the Internet
and then later put billions of dollars into deploying it for public use.
Corporations are now lobbying fiercely to create artificial shortages of
bandwidth in order to increase their profits from a government-sponsored system.

--
JULES SIEGEL http://www.moronia.us/
"If it ain't fixed, don't broke it."

http://www.newsroom-l.net/

Amy Rothstein

Jun 2, 2011, 9:27:16 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
> Yes, and criminal process.

Lobbyists write laws, industry hopefuls staff regulatory agencies. Regulations conceived to protect citizens are watered down until they are pointless annoyances for industries.

Buying elections is not a crime. The military industries have used Eisenhower's warnings as a business plan, and threaten to completely consume the wealth created by other industries.

Case in point: Many American states use voting machines made by the same people that make ATM cash machines. The cash machines are accurate to the penny. The voting machines, not so much. Is that the fault of the private corporation who has a valuable contract for their proprietary voting machines? Or the government who won't just use trustworthy open-software for counting paper ballots?

Whose fault is that?

Robert Severn

Robert Severn

Amy Rothstein

Jun 2, 2011, 9:54:17 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
But fascism is a kind of government, so it's more accurate to say that

the definition of fascism is government totally controlled by and allied with private business.

Jules Siegel

Jun 2, 2011, 9:58:26 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 6/2/2011 8:33 AM, Robert Severn wrote:
> I think you took me literally. Of course many entities have guns. I meant that
> only the government can legally

You are so na�ve.

> enforce their whims by force of arms.

Not true. There are situations in which non-deputized individuals can legally
enforce their whims by force of arms. They don't consider them whims, however,
though others might.

> If a private citizen takes your wallet, it's theft. If a government decides
> that you no longer are entitled to that wallet, they will seize it.

You mean like when it gets stolen? They decide that the thief is no longer
entitled to that wallet and they confiscate it, the rascals!

Have a nice day, Internet viewers...while you still can.

Sam Al-Hamdani

Jun 2, 2011, 10:03:35 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
So am I right in thinking that the relevance of all this is that Robert Severn is flush right, and Amy is flush left? Just checking this is still a InDesign message board? :)
I actually really like that this forum sometimes wanders from the topic, but it's getting all a little political at the moment.

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Sam Al-Hamdani, designer
Lifestyle Incentives Limited, Regent House, Heaton Lane, Stockport, Cheshire SK4 1BS

T. 0161 476 9389 F. 0161 477 3312
E. s...@lifestyleincentives.co.uk
W http://www.lifestyleincentives.co.uk/

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored.

No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the terrier next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.

Robert Severn

Jun 2, 2011, 10:06:57 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, but that is YOUR definition.
"Fascism is a system in which the government leaves nominal ownership of the means of production in the hands of private individuals but exercises control by means of regulatory legislation and reaps most of the profit by means of heavy taxation. In effect, fascism is simply a more subtle form of government ownership than is socialism."

Bob

Robert K Severn
Severn Associates
Marketing Services

If you put the federal government in charge
of the Sahara Desert, in five years there
would be a shortage of sand.
-- Milton Friedman

Robert Severn

Sam Al-Hamdani

Jun 2, 2011, 10:26:33 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. If I manage to come up with a type of formatting called flush libertarian, I promise to think of you every time I use it.

Michael Brady

Jun 2, 2011, 10:33:06 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Sam Al-Hamdani wrote:

> Fair enough. If I manage to come up with a type of formatting called flush libertarian, I promise to think of you every time I use it.

Oh, that's called using the MF Wurd app, making a bulleted list, and then unbulleting it. Vwallah. Random anarchic freedom. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Heather White

Jun 2, 2011, 11:47:06 AM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
What about verso and recto? Are liberals verso and conservatives, recto?

Does anyone use those terms anymore?

I like to, but then when no one understands them, I feel like they might think I'm trying to show off...

-heather

Jun 2, 2011, 12:38:44 PM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Heather White wrote:

> What about verso and recto? Are liberals verso and conservatives, recto?

pass

> Does anyone use those terms anymore?

Yes.

Just used them in a discussion on usenet:rec.arts.sf.written.

> I like to, but then when no one understands them, I feel like they might think I'm trying to show off...

That others were failed in their training is no reason to dumb down or cease to use the traditional specialized terms of a profession.

Michael Brady

Jun 2, 2011, 12:38:51 PM6/2/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Heather

> What about verso and recto? Are liberals verso and conservatives, recto?

Not really, inasmuch as "right" and "left" were first used in the first French Constituent Assembly to indicate where the different parties were sitting. Actually, "liberal" and "conservative" have become very narrowly defined to mean quasi-socialists or quasi-fascists. In England, the Liberal Party is the conservative one! I think of myself as a liberal "in the classic sense" but I am very much sympathetic to conservative proposals (more like a libertarian).

> Does anyone use those terms anymore?

I do. For one thing, it gets rid of the inevitable ambiguity of "right" meaning correct, conservative, and "opposite of left," which itself had more than one meaning. And then there's the problem of "on my right or on your right?"

> I like to, but then when no one understands them, I feel like they might think I'm trying to show off...

Sounds like their problem. Using "recto" and "verso" is technical jargon, well understood in the trade, and ambigue-less. Now and then I run into a designer who measures the layout in inches or millimeters--not so surprising, actually--but I've encountered one or two people who measure type in fractions of inches! That's very strange.

Evans, Rebecca

Jun 2, 2011, 12:50:04 PM6/2/11
to InDesign list
We certainly use recto/verso in the book publishing industry. I don't use
them in general conversation, though, because I don't expect them to be
widely known outside of publishing.

Rebecca

On 6/2/11 12:38 PM, "Michael Brady" <mich...@michaelbradydesign.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone use those terms anymore?
>
>I do. For one thing, it gets rid of the inevitable ambiguity of "right"
>meaning correct, conservative, and "opposite of left," which itself had
>more than one meaning. And then there's the problem of "on my right or on
>your right?"
>
>> I like to, but then when no one understands them, I feel like they
>>might think I'm trying to show off...
>
>Sounds like their problem. Using "recto" and "verso" is technical jargon,
>well understood in the trade, and ambigue-less. Now and then I run into a
>designer who measures the layout in inches or millimeters--not so
>surprising, actually--but I've encountered one or two people who measure
>type in fractions of inches! That's very strange.
>
>| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
>Michael Brady
>www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/ | mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
>www.twitter.com/typehuile | www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile |
>www.facebook.com/typehuile
>
>"Thinking Like a Designer" at https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or
>http://snipurl.com/z43se

Robert Severn

Kathleen

Jun 3, 2011, 5:49:02 PM6/3/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michael, how are you creating your cool little movies?
kat
On May 21, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Michael Brady wrote:

> Sorry, I forget to edit this message. I left in the paragraph about sending the snippet to Kat. It should read:
>
> I've uploded a QT movie called "Making_button.mov" to
>
> http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/
>
> Caveat: The movie file is 18Mb. Also, there are a few skips and jerky movements. But you get a chance to hear my voice.

Michael Brady

Jun 3, 2011, 7:08:42 PM6/3/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 3, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Kathleen wrote:

> Michael, how are you creating your cool little movies?
>>

>> I've uploded a QT movie called "Making_button.mov" to
>>
>> http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/

QuickTime, which come with Mac OS. You can make movie using the built-in camera or by capturing the screen movements, and you can record your voice as you do it. Mac has other movie-recording software, but QT allows me to record the screen action.

Arne Gustafsson

Jun 4, 2011, 1:40:40 AM6/4/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

4 jun 2011 kl. 01.08 skrev Michael Brady:

> QuickTime, which come with Mac OS. You can make movie using the built-in camera or by capturing the screen movements, and you can record your voice as you do it. Mac has other movie-recording software, but QT allows me to record the screen action.

Where on the Internet can you read about how to do that?

Arne

Michael Brady

Jun 4, 2011, 1:49:31 AM6/4/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Arne wrote:

> Where on the Internet can you read about how to do that?

I just figured it out myself after I saw other people post screen movies. At first, I didn't speak, just recorded the screen actions silently. Then, after making one movie, I heard a mumbled curse word when I reviewed it, and I figured out it was also recording sound.

It's pretty easy to do with QuickTime on a Mac. I imagine Windows computers have equally easy tools.

I suppose there is a tutorial on the Apple site and other places, too.

Harry S. Pariser

Jun 3, 2011, 11:54:34 PM6/3/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Page sizes should be in picas. It is a pain when printers demand otherwise because converting 5 3/8ths (for example) .

The Federal Government does a great job in most of the world with universal health care. The US government manages nicely with Social Security, the post office, etc.

The problem is that corporate oligarchies have destroyed the financial system with their greed and corruption. The military runs all governments that I know of, and that's where the money is squandered.

Are you also a supporter of the fascist Leo Strauss?

Here is a story about Friedman's nauseating progeny:

Libertarianism has never made any sense, nor will it. It has destroyed our world economy!

Saying that, of course, will never change the view of anyone who chooses to disregard the facts.

Nini Tjäder

Jun 5, 2011, 5:17:27 AM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely not.
Only used in the US as far as I know.

On 4 jun 2011, at 05.54, Harry S. Pariser wrote:

Page sizes should be in picas.

nini ;-)

Nini Tjäder __ ni...@ninisworld.com

http://www.ninisworld.com

Michael Brady

Jun 5, 2011, 5:31:55 AM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 5, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Nini Tjäder wrote:

> Absolutely not.
> Only used in the US as far as I know.
>
> On 4 jun 2011, at 05.54, Harry S. Pariser wrote:
>
>> Page sizes should be in picas.

The way I learned it is, the page (trim) size is expressed in inches, but all internal measurements are expressed in picas and type in points.

Nini Tjäder

Jun 5, 2011, 5:56:11 AM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
It entirely depends on where in the world you are.
Here (Sweden) we neither use inches nor picas. For anything. Millimeters yes and points for type.

On 5 jun 2011, at 11.31, Michael Brady wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Nini Tjäder wrote:
>
>> Absolutely not.
>> Only used in the US as far as I know.
>>
>> On 4 jun 2011, at 05.54, Harry S. Pariser wrote:
>>
>>> Page sizes should be in picas.
>
> The way I learned it is, the page (trim) size is expressed in inches, but all internal measurements are expressed in picas and type in points.

C F Majors

Jun 5, 2011, 12:03:15 PM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Am I the last to learn that 1 pixel = 1pt?

It is suggested that using points for artwork that will become epubs
is the best universal solution.

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

--
Carol Majors / Publications unltd
Raleigh NC

Michael Brady

Jun 5, 2011, 12:13:12 PM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:03 PM, C F Majors wrote:

> Am I the last to learn that 1 pixel = 1pt?

I don't know. Is there anybody else behind you in line?

Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio

Jun 5, 2011, 12:26:46 PM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno 5-06-2011 11:31, Michael Brady ha scritto:

> The way I learned it is, the page (trim) size is expressed in inches, but all
> internal measurements are expressed in picas and type in points.

Oohh, les Americains! ;-DDD

I believe in the whole Europe (save - maybe - for UK), and certainly here in
Italy, page size is always and only expressed in millimeters/centimeters.

The whole UNI standard (you know? A4 = 210x297 mm, A3 and so on...) revolves
around the metrical system.
It's always amazing, here, reading that someone else is not using it. :-)

C F Majors

Jun 5, 2011, 4:45:26 PM6/5/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Guess that wasn't you in the shadows.

William Adams

Jun 6, 2011, 8:21:55 AM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio wrote:

> The whole UNI standard (you know? A4 = 210x297 mm, A3 and so on...) revolves
> around the metrical system.
> It's always amazing, here, reading that someone else is not using it. :-)

Yeah, and it always freaks me out and irritates me to no end dealing w/ templates which we get from Europe where there's some bizarre gutter measurement and column width (4.233 mm and 60.511 mm for the current 3-column layout).

I've yet to see a written spec for a template for a publication w/ 3 columns which when expressed in millimeters doesn't have some ugly enumeration like the above.

Studio Torii

Jun 6, 2011, 8:52:23 AM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Williams,
i think is because of Adobe, which has localized 12 pt by 4,233 mm.
There is also some weirdness in other localized Adobe software: in Acrobat, you can find a resolution in pixel per mm instead of ppi. But in France, we used to use ppi!

Overzealous???

Christophe

William Adams

Jun 6, 2011, 9:05:13 AM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 6, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Studio Torii wrote:

> i think is because of Adobe, which has localized 12 pt by 4,233 mm.

Well, that's what that dimension is.

I guess you mean that Adobe should have altered the default column width to be something else?

Wouldn't matter, while in this instance it would result in an almost sensible column width (60.5mm), all-too-often dividing by thirds in metric is ugly. That's the advantage of a base 12 or base 72 system, one can divide into more numbers evenly.

> There is also some weirdness in other localized Adobe software: in Acrobat, you can find a resolution in pixel per mm instead of ppi. But in France, we used to use ppi!

Feature request?

Studio Torii

Jun 6, 2011, 10:09:59 AM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Yes William,
I mean Adobe could have kept 12 pt or use maybe 4 mm…

My feature request is simple: enhance french localization ;-)

Christophe

Bret Perry

Jun 6, 2011, 1:00:58 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno 5-06-2011 11:31, Michael Brady ha scritto:

>The way I learned it is, the page (trim) size is expressed in inches, but
>all
>internal measurements are expressed in picas and type in points.

Valter a scritto: Oohh, les Americains! ;-DDD

As an "ugly" American I am forced to work in inches because that is the
page size paper is cut to here.
But in practice I use inches only to set up page size, then often work in
millimeters (millimetres, we can't even spell it correctly) or picas
depending on what I am doing.

Similarly I must have both metric and "imperial" wrenches in my toolkit
because nuts come in both systems. They still sell many screws and bolts
in imperial sizes here, so we may never escape. I imagine the rest of the
world doesn't have this annoyance unless they have a passion for antique
American cars...

Bret Perry
Studio IT Manager/Production Artist
ph 626-463-9365
fax 626-449-2201
bpe...@russreid.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by calling the Help Desk at 866-682-8852.

Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio

Jun 6, 2011, 6:03:45 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno 6-06-2011 14:21, William Adams ha scritto:

> Yeah, and it always freaks me out and irritates me to no end dealing w/
> templates which we get from Europe where there's some bizarre gutter
> measurement and column width (4.233 mm and 60.511 mm for the current 3-column
> layout).

That happens when the "designer" isn't smart enough (or is lazy enough ;-).

I would never create a layout like that; I always make calculations to avoid
decimals (only if unavoidable I would settle with something like 60.5 mm).

The above errors are typical "rookie" mistakes (or by people that doesn't
give a damn). The same people usually compose documents without using
styles, or master pages, and such.
It's not the millimeters... it's the people using them. :-D

Michael Brady

Jun 6, 2011, 6:10:22 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 6, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio wrote:

> That happens when the "designer" isn't smart enough (or is lazy enough ;-).

There are always ciceros if that inches and millimeters thing is too hard.

> I would never create a layout like that; I always make calculations to avoid
> decimals (only if unavoidable I would settle with something like 60.5 mm).
>
> The above errors are typical "rookie" mistakes (or by people that doesn't
> give a damn). The same people usually compose documents without using
> styles, or master pages, and such.

Now you're talking about Word's installed user base.

> It's not the millimeters... it's the people using them. :-D

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Robert Severn

Jun 6, 2011, 6:41:06 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
This is sorta like arguing about religion. If you're happy and your printer/publisher is happy it makes no difference. In fact, I send work to Europe and Asia, and I set up the files to please them. Any measuring system works well, you (and I) like whatever we used when we were tiny little designers.

On Jun 6, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Valter Viglietti - Frame Studio wrote:

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

Bob

Robert K Severn
Severn Associates
Marketing Services
rse...@severnet.com

"Make a deal with the devil, and you're the junior partner"
Dick Armey

Robert Severn

Jun 6, 2011, 6:44:36 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Also, since Adobe lets you set the measuring preference, and then type exact numbers into dialog boxes, it's easy to give end users what they want/need.

Robert Severn

Jun 6, 2011, 6:46:12 PM6/6/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
This is sorta like arguing about religion. If you're happy and your printer/publisher is happy it makes no difference. In fact, I send work to Europe and Asia, and I set up the files to please them. Any measuring system works well, you (and I) like whatever we used when we were tiny little designers.

C F Majors

Jun 9, 2011, 11:34:56 AM6/9/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
About points and pixels. This is something I knew intellectually, but
using this information in real world applications (like in photoshop)
for building "right sized" images for both print and epub is a new
concept. Never crossed my mind to use points in photoshop to make
pixel measurements easier.

I'm a pica and points gal myself. going to mm would be a tough
calculation for me. i tried to convert in the 80s when the changover
seemed imminent. wonder what happened to that initiative.

> --
> you are subscribed to "InDesign talk" on Google Groups, to post: send email to indesi...@googlegroups.com, to unsubscribe: send email to indesign-tal...@googlegroups.com, for more options visit http://groups.google.com/group/indesign-talk

William Adams

Jun 9, 2011, 11:44:54 AM6/9/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Bret Perry wrote:

>> I imagine the rest of the
>> world doesn't have this annoyance unless they have a passion for antique
>> American cars...

I distinctly remember my SAE wrenches fitting just fine on my 1976 MGB.... I think it was my Geo Metro that forced me to buy a metric set of wrenches.

A F Clarke

Jun 9, 2011, 1:27:27 PM6/9/11
On 6/9/11 10:34 AM, C F Majors wrote:
> I'm a pica and points gal myself. going to mm would be a tough
> calculation for me. i tried to convert in the 80s when the changover
> seemed imminent. wonder what happened to that initiative.
The metric initiative [MI] failed when promoted because
it would have cost the American industry too much to
retool to. So they said then, but is a bit silly today
because much of US manufacturing is performed elsewhere.

At the time, though, it was all made moot and passed on
to the general public by the large number of imported
automobiles into the US, necessitating the adding of
metric wrenches to the garage mechanic's toolboxes. Now
that that has been accomplished, all is well
temporarily, but until we in the US start using -- and
thinking -- metric in everything we do, we will remain
stuck with the accursed fractions and an ignorance that
the rest of the world has come to grips with.

I use picas and points myself. I even use them on small
woodworking projects of less than an 18 inch rule might
measure. Something about no fractions. I suppose that if
I bought a metric ruler, I might attempt to use it, but
I am firmly established in geezerhood and would rather
crab about things as they are instead of how much better
they could be.

Do I remember correctly? Don't we share this
antimetricism with Australia?

Michael Brady

Jun 9, 2011, 12:41:28 PM6/9/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:27 PM, A F Clarke wrote:

> At the time, though, it was all made moot and passed on to the general public by the large number of imported automobiles into the US, necessitating the adding of metric wrenches to the garage mechanic's toolboxes. Now that that has been accomplished, all is well temporarily, but until we in the US start using -- and thinking -- metric in everything we do, we will remain stuck with the accursed fractions and an ignorance that the rest of the world has come to grips with.

American resistance to metrification is more fundamental than metric wrenches and Subarus and Vauxhauls. We've had bimensural containers for years, mostly in food and health products. I, for one, haven't internalized my own set of experiential units in the metric system. I have a close friend who is a German native. She's lived in the US for 26 years and is perfectly, even idiomatically, fluent in English. But when we talk about temprerature or weight, she's telling me it's 31 outside and that's way too hot for her, and I tell her I'm up to 250 and she takes a second to realize that I won't break her old-style chairs. For me, my standard of 32 = freezing and 75 = comfortable. When she says it's 30 and I'm standing in my shorts, I have to take a split second to change the calibration units in my mind. When someone says something is 270 mm long, I have to go through a two-step conversion: 270 mm = 27 cm and 2.54 cm = 1 inch, so 270 mm = a little less than 11 inches.

I've already infused the duodecimal system of points and picas into my own innate grasp of the inches system (I thought about calling it the "American imperial system," but that would just inflame political passions! <g>). I can do 6 picas = 1 inch, etc. But not with all things metrical.

William Adams

Jun 9, 2011, 12:44:28 PM6/9/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:27 PM, A F Clarke wrote:

> Do I remember correctly? Don't we share this antimetricism with Australia?

Nope, Australia converted between 1970 or so and the late '80s. Part of the United Kingdom and all that (more-or-less).

The only countries not using the metric system are the U.S., Liberia, and Myanmar (as was recently shown in a nifty infographic)

William Adams

Jun 9, 2011, 12:54:23 PM6/9/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, this is my last post on this, I promise!

On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:27 PM, A F Clarke wrote:

> we will remain stuck with the accursed fractions

I actually find fractions far more rational and easier to compare and generally useful than bizarre decimals.

Archery is an excellent example of this, w/ arrow diameters for aluminum arrows having a nifty system which provides diameter and wall thickness in just 4 digits, e.g., a 2013 has an outside diameter of 20/64ths of an inch and a wall thickness of 13/1000 of an inch.

Even the new carbon arrows are still measured in Imperial when fitting accessories (Carbon Express arrows are 19/64ths of an inch), and I find my 29" draw length (and the 28" A.M.O. standard for measuring draw length) far more intelligible than 73.66 centimeters.

Merv Leeding

Jun 10, 2011, 7:54:52 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
G'day from Melbourne

Down under we a're not part of the United Kingdom and we were ahead in
metrication. No more furlongs, acres or stones.

Money (pounds to dollars) Feb 1966 UK 1971

Measurements (inches to millimetres) 1976 UK 1978

Both changes were official form specific dates, use mandated by
legislation. Initially half inch timber was "12.7 mm" but as factories
converted whole millimetres were used�9, 13, 16, 19 etc. The workshop
manager where I worked gave away all imperial measuring devices to his
staff, including micrometres, the day metric started to force them to
rapidly adopt the new system.

Smallest value coin is 5 cents, others are 10, 20, 50, $1 and $2. Notes
(not "bills") are $5, $10, $20, $50, $100.

--
Regards
Merv Leeding

Roy McCoy

Jun 10, 2011, 8:12:38 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Merv wrote:

> Money (pounds to dollars) Feb 1966 UK 1971

?????

Roy

Merv Leeding

Jun 10, 2011, 10:21:37 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
No William, the British Empire is largely gone. The term had the meaning
of administering territories and with some residual custom we have
administered our own affairs since 1901. There was still a "belonging"
of sorts in 1938 when we hosted the British Empire Games.

Since WW II most former BE territories became self-governing and part of
a loose Commonwealth of Nations. Most Aussies only think of that
Commonwealth in terms of the Commonwealth Games. We have a large focus
on games.

We have state governors and a commonwealth governor general that are
"appointed" by the Queen but we tell her who to appoint. If you saw
anything of the recent royal marriage the feeling of the people to the
the Queen was obvious. Many here still feel the same way but that
doesn't mean they want any interference from her and there is none
really. That will steadily decline as the percentage of those of UK
ancestry decreases.

Melbourne had very large Italian, Greek and Chinese communities�
including a downtown Chinatown� although we tend to say "Asian" these
days for that last section. Mu daughter is at the late stage in the
adoption of a Taiwanese child. Significant Ethiopean and Sudanese
communities as well.

Out largest chemical company where I worked, formerly ICI now Orica, was
until the mid-90s part of the UK Imperial Chemical Industries (similar
to DuPont ins size and scope with many overseas subsidiary), but from WW
II on was unusual for such a subsidiary in the local management meant
that in many areas, particularly research, we controlled the direction
of the business.

Here endeth the lesson <G>. Why not come down to my home state of
Queensland and see the Barrier Reef?

An American from Texas was talking to one of our cattle graziers. "If I
get in my car to drive from one side of my property to the other, it
takes me two days".

"Yeah" said the Queenslander, "I once had a car like that." (Queensland
is not our largest state but is 2.94 times the area of Texas.)

Cheers, Merv

On 10/06/2011 10:17 PM, William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:54 AM, Merv Leeding wrote:
>

>> Down under we a're not part of the United Kingdom
>>

> Sorry, that should've been British Empire, right? Thanks for the correction.
>
> William

Merv Leeding

Jun 10, 2011, 10:33:16 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Roy that was a bit short.

Prior to 1966 we used sterling, pounds shillings and pence. Our smallest
note ( = bill) was half a pound of ten shillings.

Going metric we replaced the ten shillings by the term "dollar". Ten
shillings was 120 pence but with 100 units to the dollar we termed those
"cents" and didn't use a somewhat silly term of "new pence" as the
English did. In their case the Pound was still called a Pound,
presumably because it did not change in value. They replace 240 pence to
the old pound with 100 new pence to the pound.

We used 1 and 2 cent coins for some time until their buying power became
vritually nil. With the smallest unit 5 cents, a transaction of 1 or 2
cents is rounded down, and 3 or 4 is rounded up. Banking and other
transactions that don't involve coins or notes preserve the actual cent
amounts.

At the time of metrication the US dollar was worth AUS 88 cents. I had
lived in Cambridge, Mass from 1961-1964 and US folk would send my kids
dollar notes in birthday cards and I had to substitute our dollars and
lost on the deal. Currently the AUS $ is worth US 1.07.

--
Regards
Merv Leeding

Jules Siegel

Jun 10, 2011, 10:42:33 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
http://www.yesaustralia.com/Curiosidades-animaising.htm

--
JULES SIEGEL http://www.moronia.us/
"If it ain't fixed, don't broke it."

http://www.newsroom-l.net/

William Adams

Jun 10, 2011, 11:07:13 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Merv Leeding wrote:

<snip> excellent and informative history / geography lesson.

> Why not come down to my home state of Queensland and see the Barrier Reef?

I'd love to (even though at the TeX User's Group Conferences the Australians always have the most nightmarish of travel stories). Still trying to find time to visit all of the state and national parks here in Pennsylvania (and then I'll start in on the balance of the U.S.).

On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Jules Siegel wrote:

>> http://www.yesaustralia.com/Curiosidades-animaising.htm

I'm reminded of the Terry Pratchett gag from his Discworld series where a character asks for a list of dangerous animals in (the Discworld equivalent of) Australia of a magical librarian and is buried under a large pile of books --- revising the question to a list of the animals which aren't dangerous was marginally more successful, resulting in a single sheet of parchment on which was written, ``some of the sheep''.

> An American from Texas was talking to one of our cattle graziers. "If I get in my car to drive from one side of my property to the other, it takes me two days".
>
> "Yeah" said the Queenslander, "I once had a car like that." (Queensland is not our largest state but is 2.94 times the area of Texas.)

An unfortunate result of Mercator and other distorted projections (hey! some graphic design content!). It's interesting how the U.S. and Australia are similar and different at the same time.

Funny thing was when I was stationed in Texas we'd get European Officers in for training who'd purchase 30-day Greyhound bus passes planning on seeing the U.S. over the weekends --- had to explain that if they got on a bus on Friday, they'd reach an edge of the state sometime late enough Saturday that there'd just be time to turn around and come back in time for class Monday (can't recall any Australians though). Usually they would end up seeing the Alamo and the San Antonio Zoo, and a fair number of them went out to Austin for the music scene there at my advice.

William

(who wishes that Amtrak were a more viable travel option here in the U.S.)

Roy McCoy

Jun 10, 2011, 11:50:29 AM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Merv wrote:

> [The British replaced] 240 pence to the old pound with 100 new pence to the pound.

Ah yes, they did change the currency, now I remember. But not to dollars.

> We used 1 and 2 cent coins for some time until their buying power became vritually nil. With the smallest unit 5 cents, a transaction of 1 or 2 cents is rounded down, and 3 or 4 is rounded up. Banking and other transactions that don't involve coins or notes preserve the actual cent amounts.

Same here in NL with euro cents. I was at a supermarket last week, the bill was €19.03, I paid with a twenty and a 5-cent coin. Then I noticed that I had a 2-cent and a 1-cent coin and wanted to give her those and get the 5-cent one back, but she adamantly refused to take them. From what she said she wouldn't have taken them even if I hadn't given her the 5-cent one first, as according to her they refused to accept coins smaller than that. I didn't mind the two cents, but the annoyance of not being able to get rid of the small, or should I say tiny, change. I tossed the two coins in when I paid for an ear of sweet corn at a music festival a day or two later (http://www.dunya.nl), so it was no real problem.

Roy

Merv Leeding

Jun 10, 2011, 9:38:37 PM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Jules

Those beaches are not deserted because of those dangers. That's
rubbish�scare journalism. We get the same sort of articles about the
risk of living in the US.

About 60% of us live in half a dozen large cities (Melbourne and Sydney
all > 3 million) . We can go to safe beaches in an hour or so but those
deserted beaches are about 2000 miles from here, access is not easy,
accommodation is mostly nil. Petrol may be at 100 mile intervals.

There are thousands of beautiful beaches that are patrolled by volunteer
lifeguards who warn of jellyfish and sharks. Shark attacks are very
rare. Serious sunburn with unaware foreigners, and inadequate experience
with surfing dangers are the real problem. All schools here promote the
SLIP on a T-shirt, SLOP on some sunscreen and SLAP on a hat. And that
means a wide-brim hat, not a useless cap.

There's a rain forest north of my home town of Brisbane where I took
high school boys "bush walking" through areas where trained soldiers for
jungle warfare in WW II. Yes, there are some snakes that rival the worst
in the world. But a forest ranger who had managed school camps every
holiday for 8 years and there had never had one snake bite incident.

It's more dangerous driving on our roads. Or yours.

Merv

On 11/06/2011 12:42 AM, Jules Siegel wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 9:21 AM, Merv Leeding wrote:
>> Why not come down to my home state of Queensland and see the Barrier
>> Reef?
> http://www.yesaustralia.com/Curiosidades-animaising.htm

--
Regards
Merv Leeding

Merv Leeding

Jun 10, 2011, 9:57:46 PM6/10/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 11/06/2011 1:07 AM, William Adams wrote:

It's interesting how the U.S. and Australia are similar and different at the same time.

Very true and in many respects we resemble the US more than the UK.
had to explain that if they got on a bus on Friday, they'd reach an edge of the state sometime late enough Saturday that there'd just be time to turn around and come back in time for class Monday (can't recall any Australians though)
Living 1100 miles south from grandma I holidayed there every second year while our kids were growing up. As the sole driver I did that in 620 and 480 miles over two days. The big difference is that so much of our land is as deserted as the beaches. Take out six cities and you have about 8 million scattered in small communities.

And even that article quoted said at the bottom:

    It's very difficult to be a victim of these animals while you are in Australia

(I didn't add the red.)

Merv

Jules Siegel

Jun 11, 2011, 11:54:17 AM6/11/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
On 6/10/2011 8:38 PM, Merv Leeding wrote:
> It's more dangerous driving on our roads. Or yours.

I don't drive. I gave it up about the time I moved to Mexico. I have been bitten
by a black widow spider. Draw your own conclusions.

Merv Leeding

Jun 11, 2011, 6:46:45 PM6/11/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I worried about red backs�cousins of the black widow�when I was younger
in Brisbane. In my part of Melbourne they are in most backyards hiding
under old word or uptruned clay pots. Last bite I heard of was 30 years
ago. While they can give a nasty bite they are not aggressive and run away.

This week we had a fatal accident when a guy ran his car into an
electric pole. Not the driver�the pole fell on a pedestrian..

Merv