Crashing on Export

karen kennedy

Sep 26, 2012, 5:24:13 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
InDesign CS7 has suddenly decided to start crashing on Export to PDF, the only thing that I can think is I just had a system software update. I'm on 10.7.5 has any one else had an issue. I just tried to restart and trash the preferences and got the message that "A serious error has occurred and InDesign was shutting down"

Thoughts?

walton harris

Sep 26, 2012, 5:57:39 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe any InDesign CS7 version exists that's been released by Adobe. Is this a bootleg?

--walton

***

On Sep 26, 2012, at 5:24 PM, karen kennedy wrote:

> InDesign CS7 has suddenly decided to start crashing on Export to PDF, the only thing that I can think is I just had a system software update. I'm on 10.7.5 has any one else had an issue. I just tried to restart and trash the preferences and got the message that "A serious error has occurred and InDesign was shutting down"
>
> Thoughts?

karen kennedy

Sep 26, 2012, 6:00:36 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Oh sorry, that would be CS6, I guess they just seem to come so fast I can't keep them straight, sorry.

karen kennedy

Sep 26, 2012, 6:40:31 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
In addition I was able to save it as an idml file and open in 5.5 and export the file but it crashes on both the laptop and the desktop in CS6.

It's a simple one page document, basically a form.

Thomas Olbrich

Sep 26, 2012, 8:20:47 PM9/26/12
to InDesign Talk - Google
>Am 27.09.12 00:40 schrieb "karen kennedy" unter <kjke...@mac.com>:
>
>>In addition I was able to save it as an idml file and open in 5.5 and
>>export the file but it crashes on both the laptop and the desktop in CS6.
>>
>>It's a simple one page document, basically a form.

1. Try IDs' various PDF export settings (PDF/X).
2. Copy/paste the content into a new document.

3. Send email to corrupt_in...@adobe.com
(http://forums.adobe.com/message/1291392#1291392)

- thomas

karen kennedy

Sep 26, 2012, 8:24:00 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks will give that a try.

walton harris

Sep 26, 2012, 9:50:17 PM9/26/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm using InDesign CS6 and OS X 10.7.5 and I have no trouble exporting out to PDF from InDesign. I can export as PDF/X-1a and also PDF/X-4 with no problems.

--walton

Stephen Marsh

Sep 27, 2012, 2:22:43 AM9/27/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Is this for every job or just one job? If only one job, I would suggest that you look into the fonts.

Can you export a single blank empty page to PDF without crashing?

Dupe the job, then use the find/change font command to swap out one font at a time to see if there is a corrupt or problem font in your system. Export after every

If it is not a font, then look into any linked text or image files. Copy the doc and unlink the text file and or remove graphics one at a time, exporting at each step to see if the previous step fixed the issue.

Good luck!

Stephen Marsh

karen kennedy

Sep 27, 2012, 9:44:28 AM9/27/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
It appears to be only this document but similar documents with the same fonts and same images behave properly. I was able to export it out thru CS5.5 just fine but now even opening the document crashes CS6. Tried saving it to idml but even that seems to crash the doc. It's appears to just not like this one.

thanks
karen

Dick Margulis

Sep 27, 2012, 10:23:04 AM9/27/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com, karen kennedy
On 9/27/2012 9:44 AM, karen kennedy wrote:
> It appears to be only this document but similar documents with the same fonts and same images behave properly. I was able to export it out thru CS5.5 just fine but now even opening the document crashes CS6. Tried saving it to idml but even that seems to crash the doc. It's appears to just not like this one.

Aha! I had a document like that. It was a chapter of a large book on a
crushing deadline, and it kept crashing. Next thing I knew, the problem
had spread to another chapter and then to another.

After a few hours of phone calls with Adobe support and more hours of
diagnostics by second-level support, they finally gave me a clue I could
use to trace the problem. In my case it turned out to be a corrupted
definition of a text variable that I was using for running headers. Once
I deleted it and recreated it, all was well. But the search methodology
was what I wanted to share with you.

Save a copy of the file as it exists, in a safe place. The following
steps are destructive (intentionally).

First
=====

Open the document. Delete half the pages. Save As pages1-N. Open the
document again and delete pages 1-n. Save As pagesM-P. Test each of the
files. If only one crashes, keep dividing it in half and testing until
you find the page with the problem. Investigate from there.

If both of the first two files crash, the problem is likely not an
element on the page (unless it's on the master page). So...

Second
======
Delete your master pages one at a time. If that solves the problem,
rebuild the last one you deleted and import the earlier deletions from
the saved file. If it doesn't solve the problem...

Third
=====
Delete half of your paragraph styles in one file and the other half of
your paragraph styles in a second file. Be smart about it, grouping all
the styles that are Based On the same style together. If one file
doesn't crash, continue dividing in half until you find the problem
style. Delete it and rebuild it. If all files crash...

Fourth
======
Repeat the strategy with character styles. If that doesn't work...

Fifth
=====
Repeat the strategy with text variables.

Obviously, if you have an inkling that it's one of these things rather
than another, you can change the order. But this seems to be the natural
sequence in terms of likelihood.

Roy McCoy

Sep 27, 2012, 10:41:01 AM9/27/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Dick Margulis wrote:

> First
> =====
>
> Open the document. Delete half the pages. Save As pages1-N. Open the document again and delete pages 1-n. Save As pagesM-P. Test each of the files. If only one crashes, keep dividing it in half and testing until you find the page with the problem. Investigate from there.
>
> [...]
>
> Fifth
> =====
> Repeat the strategy with text variables.
>
> Obviously, if you have an inkling that it's one of these things rather than another, you can change the order. But this seems to be the natural sequence in terms of likelihood.

Not with Karen's one-page doc, lol.

Roy

karen kennedy

Sep 27, 2012, 11:41:53 AM9/27/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Well that is a good method and one I have used with larger docs but like Roy said this is a one page form. I can try the style sheets (I think only two). I don't think it's either the fonts or the images that happen to be in it, in this case they are credit card images that are used in several other of their documents without error. The fonts are also the corporate fonts used in everything else. I was trying to copy and paste parts to a new doc but InDesign was crashing just on opening the doc. I just ran the updater but that didn't help either. Oddly it opens fine in 5.5 without a problem so it's just 6 that has it britches in a twist. Given that is just a one pager I will probably just open it in 5.5 until I get it out the door permanently and not waste a boatload of time trying to diagnose it's issue. But I sure appreciate all you guys being around so I don't have to pull my hair out by myself!

thanks guys,
karen

tsuki190

Sep 28, 2012, 4:30:57 PM9/28/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exactly like what I told people when I was doing TS for Adobe.  If it came from 2nd level support, then those would be the remnants of the people I worked with when TS was in the US.

Tom

http://209.191.186.157/livedesign/index.html
Flexible document design and publishing for print, web, and video.