Place multi-page .pdf?

Rosaleah Rosie

Sep 29, 2011, 2:09:24 PM9/29/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I have a multi-page .pdf that I need to place in an InDesign layout. I
have a master page that places a logo on each page.

What I don't know how to do is to set it up so that when I place the
.pdf file in InDesign, InDesign then places each .pdf page on its own
InDesign page so that the InDesign paging matches the .pdf file,
adding the pages that it needs as it goes along.

I can do this laboriously a page at a time; what I need is for
InDesign to do it automatically by itself.

Any and all help or a pointer to a tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

--Rosaleah

William Adams

Sep 29, 2011, 2:21:40 PM9/29/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

There's a sample script for that:

Window | Automation | Scripts

Open the folders:

Application, Samples, Javascript

Then, run

PlaceMultiPagePDF.jsx

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

Michael Brady

Sep 29, 2011, 2:22:57 PM9/29/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Rosaleah Rosie wrote:

> What I don't know how to do is to set it up so that when I place the
> .pdf file in InDesign, InDesign then places each .pdf page on its own
> InDesign page so that the InDesign paging matches the .pdf file,
> adding the pages that it needs as it goes along.
>
> I can do this laboriously a page at a time; what I need is for
> InDesign to do it automatically by itself.
>
> Any and all help or a pointer to a tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

1. When you place the PDF, check the import options. Make sure you are importing the entire PDF, not just the visible (usually the first) page.
2. When you start, hold down the Shift key when you click to place the first page. ID will automatically flow all of the pages in the PDF onto succeeding pages, just like it would with a text file.

That should do it.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/ | mich...@michaelbradydesign.com
www.twitter.com/typehuile | www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile | www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" at https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

Michael Brady

Sep 29, 2011, 2:41:21 PM9/29/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Rosaleah Rosie wrote:

1. Is the page size of the PDF the same as the page size of the ID file? Do you want the PDF pages to be imported at 100%?

2. If so, create a new MP just for the PDFs. Create at least two layers, and on the higher layer *of the MP*, place the logo you want to appear on each page.

3. If the PDF is the same size as the page, set the margins to 0 all around. If smaller than the ID page, set the margins so that the text area is the same size as the PDF page. For example, if the PDF is 8x10 and the page size is 8.5 x 11, then set the margins to be .25 on left and right and .5 on top and bottom. That way, the live page area will match the size of the PDF page.

4. Apply the PDF master page to the all the pages that will use the PDF. If it's the last page in the file and you want to auto-add pages, then make sure the last page uses the PDF master page.

5. On the live pages, import the PDF, remembering to select all the pages using the Import Options dialog box.

6. When you begin to drop the PDF pages, *first* select the lower layer (the one below the logo layer). Then autoflow the PDF by clicking in the upper lefthand corner of the first page. ID will automatically flow the remaining pages and will position the PDF page in the upper left corner of the text area. So if you set the margins for the PDF master page correctly, ID will flow *and* correctly position all the page.

"I trust I make myself obscure?"
"Perfectly, Thomas."

Rosaleah Rosie

Sep 29, 2011, 3:55:33 PM9/29/11
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both. Worked like a charm ... you saved my life!

--Rosaleah