Bookmarks with Variable Text?

Karen Hickey

Jul 21, 2017, 6:22:52 PM7/21/17
to InDesign talk

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if I can create bookmarks in InDesign (for exporting to Acrobat) if there is variable text in that line of text?
I'm thinking I would just have to create all my bookmarks in Acrobat after making the PDF, since ALL the text would be there, included, and not variable.
Right now, when I try to make a bookmark for "Chapter 8," for example, because the 8 is variable text, the bookmark just says "Chapter" unless I manually type in 8 after it.
Which sort of defeats the purpose of variable text. :)
Thank you in advance!
-Karen