First line of text with anchored object won't wrap - really?

Roy McCoy

Jun 13, 2012, 12:04:58 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
I suppose because I was accustomed to inline graphics with PageMaker,
I've never gotten into using the Custom options with ID anchored objects.
Today, however, I had a string of inline book covers on the left of an ad,
wanted to move alternating ones to the right, and thought aha, I can do
that with Custom. And after a little fiddling, I could... only when I added
the text-wrap setting for the left side, it wrapped the text all right but
not on the first line - annoying! I wanted to get the ad approved and out
before the end of the day, so rather than fooling around trying to get it
to work the way I wanted, I simply released the objects after moving them to
the right with the Custom adjustments.

I was going to ask here about this afterwards, but decided to try to Google it
first and my first find was discouraging. A Denise asked at InDesign Secrets:
"Is there a way to have the first line of type wrap around an inline anchored
object. Indesign says it doesn’t and seem to be right." David Blatner replied:
"No, sorry, InDesign does not wrap text that is on the same line as, or the
lines before, an anchored object. Frustrating, I know. That’s why sometimes I
put the anchored object in the previous paragraph and then use Custom anchored
options to place it where I want it to be."

I just now noticed this was Blatner - who generally knows what he's talking
about, durn. Putting the object in the previous paragraph seems an awfully
clunky workaround - but if that's the only way to get the first line to wrap,
is there at least a standard trick for determining a setting that will work
in general circumstances? Or do you just have to clunk it out?

Fortunately this ad was accepted without revision of its layout, but it would
have been more convenient if I'd had to redo it to have also the right-hand
book covers anchored.

Thanks,

Roy

Michael Brady

Jun 13, 2012, 12:26:57 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Roy

> I just now noticed this was Blatner - who generally knows what he's talking
> about, durn. Putting the object in the previous paragraph seems an awfully
> clunky workaround - but if that's the only way to get the first line to wrap,
> is there at least a standard trick for determining a setting that will work
> in general circumstances? Or do you just have to clunk it out?

Insert the object at the very last position of the preceding paragraph.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com/Blog/ | mic...@michaelbradydesign.com
www.twitter.com/typehuile | www.linkedin.com/in/typehuile | www.facebook.com/typehuile

"Thinking Like a Designer" at https://www.createspace.com/3462255 or http://snipurl.com/z43se

Roy McCoy

Jun 13, 2012, 12:45:29 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Michael B. wrote:

> Insert the object at the very last position of the preceding paragraph.

Uh, okay, though I was imagining something somehow mathematical.

The job's gone, but I'll try this anyway...

Right, got it:

Y Relative to Line (Cap Height)
Y Offset = leading + space above

Thanks!

Roy

Roy McCoy

Jun 13, 2012, 12:48:55 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, and anchored object options are savable in object styles - great!
So if I have to rejigger, I only have to rejigger once.

> Michael B. wrote:
>
>> Insert the object at the very last position of the preceding paragraph.

Arne Gustafsson

Jun 13, 2012, 4:03:42 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Could anyone at this list try to show me an example of this?

call me stupid…?

Cheers, Arne

Roy McCoy

Jun 13, 2012, 4:49:02 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Arne G. wrote, quoting me:

>> Right, got it:
>>
>> Y Relative to Line (Cap Height)
>> Y Offset = leading + space above
>
> Could anyone at this list try to show me an example of this?

Problem (object logically anchored to paragraph to which it
relates, but first line doesn't text wrap):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107821/%20%20Temp/problem.idml

Solution (place object at end of previous paragraph):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1107821/%20%20Temp/solution.idml

Roy

Michael Brady

Jun 13, 2012, 4:54:34 PM6/13/12
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Arne

> Could anyone at this list try to show me an example of this?

http://www.michaelbradydesign.com/Transfer/InDesign_List/Anchored_objects.mov

It's 21Mb so it might be a slow download.