Re: [ID] Changing automatic page numbers

Roy McCoy

Feb 21, 2013, 4:45:56 AM2/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Jackie wrote:

> Fairly new to InDesign and today I put page numbers on master pages, but made a mistake and have it starting with number 4, when it should have been 2 (on the second page). How do I change that page number on the master page so the rest will automatically be correct?

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, or how you got it to start with 4, however you did it. In any event you wouldn't ordinarily initialize the numbering with an automatic page number on a master page. See File > Document Setup... and perhaps Layout > Numbering & Section Options...

Roy

Evans, Rebecca

Feb 21, 2013, 8:43:50 AM2/21/13
to indesi...@googlegroups.com
Jackie, a little more detail on how to set page numbering on the pages
themselves:

Click on a MASTER in the pages panel and flyout the pages panel options
(or right click on the page in the pages panel). Choose "Numbering &
Section options" and make sure "Automatic Page Numbering" is selected at
the top of the dialog box.

Click on the BOOK page in the pages panel where you want page 2 and bring
up the same dialog box but choose "Start Page Numbering at:" and put your
"2" there. This will make that page a lefthand page.

I had never noticed the start page option in File > Document Setup that
Roy points out below. Amazing what we see everyday without noticing at all.

Rebecca