Bucket allocation

Harshita Jain

May 30, 2017, 6:27:24 PM5/30/17
to indeedeng-proctor-users
Is there a way to make certain users fall into a particular bucket? a way to control the allocation of users to a particular bucket?

Ketan Gangatirkar

May 30, 2017, 6:37:19 PM5/30/17
to Harshita Jain, indeedeng-proctor-users
Hi, Harshita.  By design, Proctor is meant to make allocations in a way that is statistically similar to random.  You can hack Proctor to do this by having multiple allocations at 100% that assign different buckets.  Each allocation would have a rule that is true for some parameter that is passed in.  We have done this in cases like activating features for some countries but not others, like having a rule ${country == 'CA'} that assigns test1, ${country == 'JP'} that assigns test2, etc.  However, that's in the context of incremental roll-out for each of those countries; we don't start at 100%.  If you're just segmenting specific users based on criteria determined in your application code, and you're not doing an incremental roll-out or unbiased sampling, Proctor seems like it may be an unnecessary moving part.

ke...@indeed.com