New Player - Help!

Jacob Jensen

Jan 25, 2014, 6:02:05 AM1/25/14
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Hi, i'm pretty new to the Rogue-like genre of games but i've been having a lot of fun so far. Hopefully i could just ask a couple of simple questions, and perhaps if other new players have questions they could post here too.
So far i've kept it simple with a dwarf paladin, and im happily thwacking anything that gets in my way. However i am completely befuddled by the inventory interface, i have a shield sitting in my pack and i'm completely befuddled as how to get it out. Also, every npc i've attempted to talk to (with quite a high diplomacy rating) has turned into some sort of gribbly monster and tried to kill me. Is this standard fare, or am i just unlucky?

Jason Dixon

Jan 25, 2014, 10:05:07 PM1/25/14
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Diplomacy is for quelling aggressive foes, if they are of the kind that can be quelled.  Also, they tend to operate in groups, so if you fail to quell one you might have also failed to quell his entire group.  Diplomacy does not help you when you simply talk to them.

As for the shield, look at the number next to it on the left and press those two numbers.

--

---