Incursion update

LautrecOfCarim

Apr 1, 2020, 2:58:04 PM4/1/20
to Incursion
Hello, I know lots of people have been wondering and I've been looking around for information as to if this game will ever be updated, be it a new bug-fix release or an updated version of the game.  Is Julian long gone?  It has been 5 years since I've seen any post from him.  Journyman still working on incursion?  I'm about to compile the damn game myself if no one else does.  I think it's worth it.  This game is a goldmine.  Any info would be appreciated.

Holsety

Apr 1, 2020, 3:39:29 PM4/1/20
to Incursion
If I recall correctly it was abandoned by Julian shortly after or before Journeyman started work on the bitbucket variant. Things have been quiet on Journeyman's end for a long time. If you can do anything, please do. I'm a big fan of Incursion as well :)

Frumple

Apr 1, 2020, 3:55:44 PM4/1/20
to Incursion
Yeah, J's been done so far as dev goes for a good long while, and is super unlikely to get back to it from what I understand, particularly anytime soon (and godspeed to 'em regardless of that, heh).

You can check some of the other posts in the group (or here:https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/downloads/) for some of the work that's been done by someone else to clean up/bugfix stuff after boss J let Inc go open source. There's precompile stuff as well as instructions and whatnot for compiling yourself. They did some pretty good work fixing stuff up, so far as I'm aware.

JMC

Apr 1, 2020, 4:29:37 PM4/1/20
to incu...@googlegroups.com
What happened to Richard Tew? Wasn't he spearheading the continuation for a good while? Was that considered a fork of the original game?

--

---

Richard T

Apr 1, 2020, 5:06:00 PM4/1/20
to incu...@googlegroups.com
I got it compiling and fixed all the bugs that could be fixed given the information provided. The intention was to flesh it out so it could be used as a more general roguelike engine, but when it comes down to it, it is a prototype of a game "halls of the goblin king" and is very specific to that and a lot of the codebase including the virtual machine is based on custom code that should be replaced. It requires a lot more work than I was prepared to put in. I now focus on other projects.

The bitbucket repostiries should be considered modernised, bug fixed and compileable code. The game is quite an impressive effort by Julian, and my changes do not touch gameplay or much more beyond that outside of compilation or bugfixes.

Good luck.

LautrecOfCarim

Apr 4, 2020, 12:15:32 AM4/4/20
to Incursion
Thanks for the info guys.  Amazing game.  Can't get enough of it!