Incursion (open source) 0.6.9Y15 - Festivus release!

Richard Tew

Dec 22, 2014, 5:48:26 PM12/22/14
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Today, is December 23rd otherwise known as Festivus
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus).

To celebrate it, I have made a new less buggy release of Incursion.

You can download it from here:

https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/downloads

Cheers,
Richard.

Greg Campbell

Jul 1, 2017, 8:46:34 AM7/1/17
to Incursion
Greetings, all!

Years in the future, I have loved this release!  Thankee for making it!

What I would like to experience most in a near-future release is a level cap of 20 with all its associated features, including higher-level spells and class abilities.  The minimum effort version - just the skeleton without the higher level abilities for the sake of higher HP, AC, saves, BAB, feat counts, etc. - also works, assuming it's soon followed by a fully-featured version.

Thankee!

Smile all!  Jesus loves you!

Frumple

Jul 5, 2017, 10:31:37 AM7/5/17
to Incursion
Unfortunately (though continued best wishes to JM), main-line development (i.e. major feature implementation and whatnot) on Inc stopped a good handful of years ago. RT's been mostly working on bugfix/cleanup and such. Doing pretty good at it, even, and there's been some updates since Y15 (I think it's on 19 or something, now? Bitbucket shows some changes this year but it's been fairly quiet*), but a fully featured version will probably never happen, at this point. If it does, you're likely to be looking at decades from now, not months or years. Still, even the tech demo is still plenty fun, yeah, particularly with some of the more annoying technical difficulties stamped out.

*RT's mentioned a good chunk of that is because folks reporting bugs and junk don't tend to stick around to answer questions, re-test stuff, offer saves encountering the problem, etc., though. Lot more difficult to fix something when you're basically performing divination to try to replicate the bug and find out what's causing it, heh. So if you're running into anything like that, getting into contact with 'em and making sure to stick around to figure out what was happening is your best bet to see continued development on that front.

Phil Mulliken

Jul 5, 2017, 11:42:28 AM7/5/17
to incu...@googlegroups.com
I'm an old fan of incursion, but pretty ignorant about how the development (or bugfixing) process actually works, as well as bitbucket things generally. Anyone have any guides for complete scrubs on testing / logging bugs in bitbucket, or as it would relate to Incursion? Incursion remains one of my favorite roguelikes today, as incomplete as it is, and if there's any chance that people are still working on it I'd love to contribute whatever way I can. I still get it out every now and then for a run or three.

--

---

Richard T

Jul 5, 2017, 3:09:00 PM7/5/17
to incu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As Frumple says, no new features are being added to Incursion.  All I do is bug fix it, and try and make it more stable.

These are the steps to get make it as likely as possible that a bug will be fixed.  It means that we reduce the guesswork and feedback that's needed, and ideally I can just reproduce the problem immediately or load up a save and reproduce it.

1. Play the latest incursion binary Y19 from bitbucket.
2. Save often.
3. When you encounter a bug, look at the type of bug it is.  If it is something that can be reproduced again from where you are in the game, then save the game and create an issue and attach it to the issue, with clear instructions.
4. If the game is broken in some way because of the bug, then go back to a save before it happened, and try and get that save to the point before the game breaks.  Then create an issue and attach the save to it, with clear instructions.

When I say clear instructions, I mean right down to the keys you press, and the input you give to the game.

Keep in mind that I do not play Incursion as often, so you can't just refer to something and expect I know where it is.  Even when I get refamiliar with the features, there's still a lot of variations there, and being as anally retentive as possible about noting what you did to trigger or reproduce a problem, is the most valuable thing you can do - along with providing a save game where the sequence of commands can be done immediately.

Cheers,
Richard.