Grafana Labs (and Prometheus, as part of CNCF) participating in inclusivenaming WG

Richard Hartmann

Nov 19, 2020, 8:01:20 AM11/19/20
to inclusi...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

great to see how some small emails can snowball into something with
wide support so quickly!

With my Prometheus-team hat on, we're committed to the ideals of this
group and went as far as we can. As agreed with Priyanka & Chris, the
switch from master to main depends on GitHub tooling, but we will move
as soon as we can.

All of the above is also true for Grafana Labs.

Looking forward to tonight's call during KubeCon :)

Best,
Richard

Celeste Horgan

Dec 9, 2020, 1:31:48 PM12/9/20
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi!! Nice to see some CNCF projects jumping on board :) Hope you can join us on Mondays for our regular call too!

Celeste

Richard Hartmann

Dec 9, 2020, 1:55:31 PM12/9/20
to Celeste Horgan, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Celeste,

arguably, Prometheus even kicked off what's now this initiative, and
it's truly great to see how much enthusiasm there is!

The call conflicts with an office hour we run for Prometheus, so I
hope to establish a cadence of attending at least every second time.
Looking forward to it :)

Best,
Richard

Richard Hartmann

Dec 10, 2020, 3:38:48 AM12/10/20
to Celeste Horgan, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Dear all,

I realized this morning that this mail can be read as rather
passive-aggressive; that was not the intention, sorry.

What I was referring to, quite hamfistedly, was that back in May/June
Prometheus requested tech writing & engineering resources from CNCF to
help migrate away from master to main. We agreed to wait for improved
GitHub tooling and then migrate CNCF as a whole.

As part of that conversation, I mentioned how we got rid of other
instances of 'master', 'slave', 'whitelist', 'blacklist', etc. From
what Priyanka told me, this conversation was the kickoff for what has
now grown into this group.

Having fought what feels like an uphill battle in favor of
non-offensive naming for roughly two decades now, it's truly great to
see that efforts which used to be at least dismissed and often
resisted in tech and open source enjoy a wide base of support and
shared agreement these days.

Best,
Richard

Priyanka Sharma

Dec 10, 2020, 12:30:35 PM12/10/20
to Richard Hartmann, Celeste Horgan, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Absolutely agree with you, Richi! Your email set in motion a bunch of thoughts and conversations on our end and ultimately, Inclusive Naming Initiative was born. I'm very grateful for your nudge and am also stoked to see you here in the community. Would love to have you participate and lead as we move forward.

Priyanka